RED and Foxconn to create range of affordable 8K prosumer cinema cameras

Andrew Reid

I have both the Note 8 and the iPhone X and the Note 8 is a Lot easier for my big hands than the Apple. I know the Text can be enlarged on the X with one of their later firmware updates, but hell Samsung has had that feature for years. The Note 8 has a lot bigger and better screen than the X also. I traded in my iPhone 6s plus for the X, 

I like the X other than the damn home button missing, Christ swiping up a thousand times a day gets old. :grimace: Why the hell didn't they do what Samsung has done for years since they got rid of a physical button! Stupid. Well it was stupid for Apple to have a Big Ass button on their later phones to start with. I can see the first few. It was brand new tech then.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Any one remember the Nokia N97? I really wanted this back when it came out. 

Has a full qwerty keyboard that slides out from underneath. 

Nokia E70 was even more trippy with its fold out keyboard:

And of course us video geeks would get a real kick out their Nokia N92:

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Thought 3D (for anything that is not VR) was dead??

RED wants to dig up 3D again?!

Yeah thinking people were going to spend even more money for special glasses for everyone in the family,  even friends and relatives, and sit around wearing them for hours, yeah that ought to work out well!

• Super Members

I think we gave up on 3D too soon.

I went to see Kraftwerk in Budapest recently and unlike their previous shows I've been to which had 3D graphics at certain times, the whole show is now 3D.

Yes, it might well be seen as a cunning ploy to distract you from the fact you've paid good money to watch gentleman of a certain age stand behind laptops in less than flattering outfits but it is completely engaging.

I think mass audience experience stuff like that is where its at (which is why I enjoy it at the cinema too) rather than at home. Always feels a bit weird to be sat on your couch wearing sunglasses, probably due to the old adage of there being only two types of people who wear sunglasses indoors - blind people and dickheads.

I had one of the Sony HDR-T10 3D camcorders when they came out and whilst it had a few shortcomings, it had potential. The lenticular LCD was great for showing the content without glasses and I really wish they'd continued developing the line.

Its a similar thing with VR stuff and I hope that doesn't go the same way too. A few months ago, I went to a VR Cinema in Amsterdam and it is basically just a room with 30 swivel chairs and you go in, sit down, put the headset on and they show you the film (which were all shorts) that you request.

The one that really struck me was a doc that had a scene on a packed train in India and was filmed from the POV of a young woman that was illustrating how intimidated she felt by unwanted male attention. Not exactly the most upbeat of content but I have to say that it was utterly absorbing and put you in the moment far more than it would have done in a 'flat' medium.

There are a ton of hurdles to overcome for people to produce narrative with it of course but if it can convince me to that extent that I'm on a train in India anxiously checking everyone around me instead of being sat on a swivel chair in Amsterdam with a cheap headset on then its worth pursuing in my view.

In terms of making it popular even something like the Hydrogen faces significant obstacles. Let’s assume it works as “advertised” (and to be fair it hasn’t been subject of hyperbole except for certain people on reduser) and is capable of capturing and displaying stunning 3d images. Without glasses. But who can watch it? Only - as far as I know - other Hydrogen users.  How do they break into the consumer (rather than producer) market?  I failed to persuade my wife to order one (preorders end today) so I will have precisely no one to send my stuff to. Gather round folks... squeeze closer... closer... it’s my 3d cat! 

Good news - the 3d works only in landscape (or only in portrait for the selfie mode)

No - Friday (sorry!)

Jannard: “We are finalizing the carrier rollout plan for the launch of HYDROGEN. At this time we need to take down the preorder option... effective this Friday.” (Reduser)

Tempted? 

If it works then it’ll be fun to have been there at the start.  If it doesn’t, well it’s a ‘phone. At least that was my reasoning.

• Super Members

All about plausible deniability isn't it ?

I might go with "Remember when said I fancied an iPhone X dear? Well, good news, I've found something cheaper so I'm actually saving us money here".

Although 3D cats could actually also be just as  effective.

I was thinking about the GoPro fusion as VR does fascinate me but if I'm going to flush money down the drain on something with a completely uncertain adoption fate then it might be better to be in on the ground floor of something new with the Hydrogen.

Although by the time RED ship it, I might only exist in virtual holographic form myself!

4 hours ago, Snowfun said:

In terms of making it popular even something like the Hydrogen faces significant obstacles. Let’s assume it works as “advertised” (and to be fair it hasn’t been subject of hyperbole except for certain people on reduser) and is capable of capturing and displaying stunning 3d images. Without glasses. But who can watch it? Only - as far as I know - other Hydrogen users.  How do they break into the consumer (rather than producer) market?  I failed to persuade my wife to order one (preorders end today) so I will have precisely no one to send my stuff to. Gather round folks... squeeze closer... closer... it’s my 3d cat! 

Good news - the 3d works only in landscape (or only in portrait for the selfie mode)

If you remember correctly Amazon was the first to employ this "3D" technology into their Firephone, which I need remind you flopped like no other flop in the history of smartphones. The only thing in my opinion worth the Hydrogen will be that snap on image sensor module RED is touting. 

10 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Not sure what our respective other halves might think if we ended up sending each other 3d cats...

On the preorder list yet?

Approximately $231 for 5 minutes of entertainment. 

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'll admit one factor in my purchase decision of a NX300 was its 3D capabilities, but then again I never filmed in 3D...

Always had hopes that BMD would use BMMCC as a base for 3D and VR cameras.

Maybe they might yet do for the latter as I think there have been some 3rd party attempts at using them.

18 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I was thinking about the GoPro fusion as VR does fascinate me but if I'm going to flush money down the drain on something with a completely uncertain adoption fate then it might be better to be in on the ground floor of something new with the Hydrogen.

You could dip your toe in the water with something even cheaper:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1337213-REG/yi_technology_360_vr_camera.html

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

Always had hopes that BMD would use BMMCC as a base for 3D and VR cameras.

Maybe they might yet do for the latter as I think there have been some 3rd party attempts at using them.

Has already been quite a popular choice to use the BMMCC as a basis for a 360VR rig, and probably BMD would rather let others take on the risk / R&D of that niche. It doesn't seem to be an area BMD has ever shown an interest in before. 

Personally I've been hoping a lot for the BMMCC would go on a half price sale like the BMPCC did! Then I'd be seriously tempted to buy up a bunch myself for that purpose. 

• Super Members
1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

You could dip your toe in the water with something even cheaper:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1337213-REG/yi_technology_360_vr_camera.html

I keep getting tempted by that one but I'm awaiting the Fusion being available here. And now NAB is nearly here so the safety catch is definitely set to ON for the purchase trigger for now.

I've had the Theta S since it was launched and its great for messing about with but its resolution is obviously not up for prime time.