Dynamic Range of ML RAW vs h.264 / h.265 Cameras?

Mark Romero 2

7 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

$100k of gear.

Right, well if you're shooting with $100K new of still photography gear I doubt you're shooting alone, but with a crew (even if just a very small one). 

Totally different scale we're talking about here. 

7 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

though I'd argue it's harder to get that level of control with video.

Indeed! Constant light output can never match that from a flash

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Deadcode said:

No, you have to select the clips in the edit tab, right click, clip attributes, and switch range from "auto" to "full". After this you are able to pull back those highlights with curves or with gain

THANK YOU!!!

Almost everything I have shot has been in Cine 1 or Cine 4 so I am going to go back and re-visit some footage and adjust the clip attributes. I really appreciate you pointing this out to me.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

22 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks for the input. I always appreciate your thoughts when it comes to Canon and RAW, so I am happy you chimed in here.

I was thinking of the D850 and the a7R III (still am).

The other appeal of RAW is the ability to fix color casts, because often I have to deal with daylight, tungsten, and three different kinds of fluorescent light in the same shot. I figure it would be able to deal with color correction better than 8-bit 4:2:0

Thank you for your thoughts.

Shooting professionally, but it is mostly run and gun real estate. However, I will be doing real estate agent commercials (where the agent talks about what a great real estate agent they are and why you should hire them), and also going to do some small business commercials as well. The pay is not great though ($200 to $300 for a video up to about 1:30 in length).

Also, I want to do MORE high end real estate, and dynamic range is pretty much key here because we have some stunning views here in the SF Bay Area. But that is down the road a bit I think.

So right now high-volume real estate work, but with an eye toward higher end stuff.

I like the D750 for a LOT of reasons but the image is so soft... I know that sharpness isn't everything, but sometimes when editing D750 footage I sit there and say, "Was I shooting out of focus???"

FWIW, I'm aware of the company you're doing this for.

Although I'm sure they appreciate the shooters they "hire" going the extra mile to do the best they can, you're over thinking it. 

However, if your using their platform to cut your teeth and develop a skill set for future career work, then by all means, go at it with that ulterior motive. 

...but don't think that they're all that concerned about quality at their price point...and they'd admit as much. 

And, even though it's tempting because you're doing something to get paid, never consider that level of pay  "professional."

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Although I'm sure they appreciate the shooters they "hire" going the extra mile to do the best they can, you're over thinking it. 

However, if your using their platform to cut your teeth and develop a skill set for future career work, then by all means, go at it with that ulterior motive. 

...but don't think that they're all that concerned about quality at their price point...and they'd admit as much. 

And, even though it's tempting because you're doing something to get paid, never consider that level of pay  "professional."

Thanks for the note.

Actually, I work for several different companies... as well as individual agents who have a "preferred vendor" but choose to work with me. I hope they work with me because of the quality I provide, but maybe they just look at how I dress and it makes them feel good about the way THEY dress...

But you are right; a lot of it is run and gun and at those prices ($200 to $300 per gig), it doesn't make much sense to spend a whole lot of time and money on it. And quite simply, some agents couldn't tell the difference between a video shot on an Alexa and one shot on an Osmo  :(

But since I aspire to work with those agents / companies that DO appreciate good work and who ARE willing to pay for it, I would like to make my work as good as I can in the meantime (within reason).

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

companies that DO appreciate good work and who ARE willing to pay for it, I would like to make my work as good as I can in the meantime (within reason).

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  Those guys used to offer really interesting and cool day shoot/edits.  Some of the stuff I did for them was legit and wherein you could make $1.5K+ on fun little gigs, but that was a long time ago.  That's the democratization of low-end production --and supply and demand in action.  They went where the market lead them.

Happened in music and it happened in video. 

1 minute ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  Those guys used to offer really interesting and cool day shoot/edits.  Some of the stuff I did for them was legit and wherein you could make $1.5K+ on fun little gigs, but that was a long time ago.  That's the democratization of low-end production --and supply and demand in action.  They went where the market lead them.

Happened in music and it happened in video. 

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I think in general that is the way things are headed. I mean, an iPhone is pretty capable now...

Trying to keep ahead of the curve wherever possible. Hence, I have a drone and pilot's license as well.

13 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Ran out of likes for the day! But yup yup yup, even without knowing what company he works (& I note Mark's reply he works for several) for you could guess fuzzy's statements will be 90% on the mark just from my general knowledge of the real estate market and their demands. 

11 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

But you are right; a lot of it is run and gun and at those prices ($200 to $300 per gig), it doesn't make much sense to spend a whole lot of time and money on it.

Exactly

And quite simply, some agents couldn't tell the difference between a video shot on an Alexa and one shot on an Osmo  :(

Exactly x2

But since I aspire to work with those agents / companies that DO appreciate good work and who ARE willing to pay for it, I would like to make my work as good as I can in the meantime (within reason).

Sure there are some that pay a bit more, but in the grand scheme of it, none of the real estate companies do (except for a teeny tiny number perhaps, rare exceptions, not enough to base career decisions on).