CANON 6D MKII SUCKS!!!

Dave Maze

After an extensive test in Alaska...I found that the Canon 6D Mkii SUCKS BALLS!

Casey Neistat and Peter McKinnon are SO wrong. This camera is total garbage. 

I can't believe Canon would even release a camera like this with the price being what it is. Totally unacceptable. 

No ALL-I, worse ISO performance than 80D, No headphone jack. 

Its a total POS.

Let me know your thoughts. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Are you implying some people sell their "opinions"?   Have I been lied to my whole life?  Endorsements are a BS marketing ploy?  Dang.  And, yeah, Canon rolls out a bunch of gear.  A lot of it is hamstrung in video specs.  That's how they roll. 

I hope you're not legitimately worried or concerned about any of this.  It's the same story, different day.

Means a lot, coming from you as sort of a Canon enthusiast. Already wondered why anyone would be all about it. But it really is as simple as: does it have a front-facing screen? Yes. Does it have Canon's DualPixel C-AF? Yes. Does it take a microphone input? Yes. In vlogger county, that's all that matters. Most of their videos load up on smartphones and crappy connections request for 360p, rather than anything Hi Def. These aren't cameras for cinematographers. These are for the casual crowd that don't (want to) know any better. That have fallen for the myth of Canon skintones and such. That care more for quick uploads than footage gradability. In true Canon fashion they know everyone and their neighbour's dog shoots a Canon and will recommend shooting a Canon, so they don't feel the pressure to really innovate and push the boundaries. And if I were Canon... and had it that easy, that I wouldn't need to lift a finger either and still sell cameras... I probably would too. Though I've got the feeling, that someday in the not too distant future, that's going to come back to haunt them...

..but the aforementioned people are using it for video. Tell Casey that he is a fraud using a photo camera for video then.

6D was an amazing camera back in the day, probably best value for money Canon for a lot of years, latest ones (including the 80) are just a waste of raw materials.

Thank you Dave. Canon really does need to be called out for being the laziest camera company on the market. Like you, I am a long time Canon owner, and love my 1DC.  Over the years I have owned the c300, c100, xc10 and various 5D iterations. I spent huge amounts of money trying to chase Canon's differentiation strategy...this camera for stills, this one for good video, this one for compact portability, etc. When in truth all I wanted was a Sony A7r/s or GH5 with Canon color (and I have owned Sony, Samsung and Olympus as well).  

No more. I am done with Canon.   I am tired of a company that so aggressively handicaps its products...5D IV's crop and no IBIS, fixed screen,  6D Mark II's 1080p (forget 4k) which is more like 720p and lack of dynamic range,  the C200's lack of middle ground codec below RAW at that price point.  I still love my 1DC, but it is 2018 and I want good 4k with IBIS, good video focus, touch screen and a smaller form factor.  Sony, Panasonic and Olympus actually seem like they try to make good products for their customers, I just don't like their color science (I know others feel differently and they are getting better).   I have been slowly selling off my Canon gear.  If the Fuji XH1 is what it is rumored to be I am pretty sure I will finally have the camera I want: 4k, log, IBIS, good focus, touch screen, reasonable form factor and great color science.   I could wait for the rumored mirrorless option from Canon, but I think its safe to assume with metaphysical certitude that Canon will do something to handicap the camera (weak codec, no ibis, weird lens adapter for EF...something).  That is their thing, it is in the very DNA of the company at this point.   I am sure they will remain #1 in sales, but they won't be doing it with my money anymore.  I will give it to a company that is actually trying to compete and not just rest on the halo of their brand from previous eras.  I am definitely going to be tracking the XH1 announcement next week.  

• Administrators

It's true the video quality on this thing is laughable and yet they are marketing it towards the YouTube crowd.

Reminds me of the episode of the IT crowd where Jen was tricked into showing the internet-in-a-box to shareholders... But because they were fucking clueless too, they lapped it up!

38 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Why are you wearing a windbreaker throughout it?

I am guessing even indoors it was freezing cold that far up north where he was staying?

26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Reminds me of the episode of the IT crowd where Jen was tricked into showing the internet-in-a-box to shareholders... But because they were fucking clueless too, they lapped it up!

Every episode of IT Crowd was gold, but that episode was extra memorable:

Although for a little back story:

• Super Members
7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

..but the aforementioned people are using it for video. Tell Casey that he is a fraud using a photo camera for video then.

So I must start using still cameras as video cameras and not voice my opinion or go around calling people I don't know "frauds" for not agreeing with me?

I have a third option I want to run by you. What if I use what ever I feel like and dont judge others for having other preferences? That way I can focus on what I actually know, my needs and preferences. And not waste energy arguing about others needs and preferences which I just like you know absolutely nothing about :)

I gave this Camera the honor of being the "worst camera of the year" in one of the click-bait publication that Andrew likes so much. The 6DII is not a bad camera, but it's overpriced. Good for Canon if they manage to find plenty of people buying it. Call it marketing, brand recognition, etc. Doesn't matter.
Now for Vlogging it might make sense due to the ISO, DOF and DPAF. I agree, most people watching Vlog do it on a small smartphone screen in default 480p or less. The IQ is not key and the 6DII does the job.
Beside that, we are not learning anything here on this forum about Canon DSLR. They suck immensely for video. Nothing new.

11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I always have a hard time saying a stills camera sucks just because its not the best video camera in the world. If video is that important I use a video dedicated camera.

The 6DII kind of sucks for the price. It's all about value. I needed a spare camera for a time-lapse job two month ago and I bought a brand new 6D. At $1,000, the 6D is a great still camera. I had hard time to justify the price of the the Mark 2, almost double over the Mark 1 and for what? Slightly worst DR, small mpx bump. For me that's a shitty deal at this price.
As for video dedicated camera, are you talking about a GH5 or A7RII or C100 type of thing? The point of all the DSLR video thing is to have both in one package instead of hauling around a giant dedicated video camera.

• Super Members

Worse DR isn't exactly true. It depends on the ISO. Again, right tool for the job. Price is relative. A photographer that can't get great shots with this camera should focus on skills, not gear.

And what the DSLR video thing is about isnt relevant. A still camera manufacturer cant take responsibility for what a few people would like to use their cameras for. 99% of their customers thinks the video is adequate for what they do. And most of them never touch it.

This is a stills camera. And therefore I cant say it sucks just because the video isn't better than an FS7.

But I've said this already. 

Ps. A dedicated video camera is smaller, not bigger.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

So I must start using still cameras as video cameras and not voice my opinion or go around calling people I don't know "frauds" for not agreeing with me?

I have a third option I want to run by you. What if I use what ever I feel like and dont judge others for having other preferences? That way I can focus on what I actually know, my needs and preferences. And not waste energy arguing about others needs and preferences which I just like you know absolutely nothing about :)

Your original comment was "I always have a hard time saying a stills camera sucks just because its not the best video camera in the world. If video is that important I use a video dedicated camera."

The essence of this, the whole forum here, and posts by @Andrew Reid are exactly about those cameras. I am truly surprised that you haven't noticed that. Mostly we care about video in smaller, relatively cheaper, or not, hybrid cameras - cameras that a big, or even the biggest proportion of its life will shoot video, etc There are unlimited photo-centric forums around, I do post on a couple, because photography is my hobby, but here, I mainly come for the video aspect of things. 

My comment was sarcastic, because the famous people on the original post of the OP, are using this said camera for video, so it is only fair that we can review the video performance.

No one judged anything, but you, the ability of us to use "photo" cameras for video, and review them for the ability, or not, to shoot adequate video for our needs.

I do like cameras to be 50/50, that is why I staying NX. I do use dedicated video cameras with bigger projects and I love them, my next buy I want to be one (hopefully a C100mkIII or FS5mklI). Your opinion is well respected and heard all the time, no need for passive-aggressive statements.

Peace.

• Super Members

You should read both my posts again without your defensive and under attack glasses on. You completely missed the point and read in things that aren't even there. 

And then you should really read your own post again. Thoroughly.

Your even quoting and underlining some of my words that you in the next sentence totally ignore and pretend they mean something else than the actual words.. its weird to say the least.

Im out.

3 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

As for video dedicated camera, are you talking about a GH5 or A7RII or C100 type of thing?

I'll admit at the Indian Wedding I was filming tonight I was kinda wishing I had a C300 with DPAF rather than my F3 with a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 Nikon F mount lens. 
Was tough initially! But with practice it got easy, I'm probably also rather rusty having not done weddings in a while since last season (and even then I only did a few). 
Having a better monitor would have helped too! I was just using the LCD on the F3 itself. 

@IronFilm I am preparing to do some weddings myself this summer, so a SmallHD Focus is a must (and I did!), but I am not sure how you managed with that kind of setup. Weddings here, destination, or not, have a lot of running, from hotels/houses/apartments for the preparation, then the church, then the dinner, then the party, etc All these happen in 10-15 straight, and very stressed hours which we have to run around.

Some times the heat is extreme also, too demanding on our bodies and our camera's bodies. Heat dissipation, ergonomics, long recording hours on an SD (H265) card and good battery management, while relatively light are equally important to image quality, and whatever sound you can gather (Tascam DR10s are playing a major role here). You would never cope with a heavier set up here.