Is FCPX still trash?

Andrew Reid

Andrew, I can guarantee you, that switching from FCPx to Premiere Pro (ditched mac and build a pc cause of budget) was the worst mistake I've ever made. 

FCPx it's just stronger,faster, better. Especially for me that I 80% edit a lot of weddings. The workflow it's just different man. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It grows on you, that's for sure

Just wish they would have kept SOME things familiar for existing FCP and Premiere users. It cost them a lot of customers!

Glad to hear it. 

I felt the same when I went from FCP7 to FCPX. The entire design threw me way off! 

...but then i realised it all made perfect sense. FCPX is nothing like Premiere, it's a new way of "driving the machine" so to say, and that's why it's so damn awesome! 

A few handy things:

1. Chromatic by Coremelt is a great colour grading plugin. Color Finale by CGC has lost it's relevancy since FCPX updated to 10.4 with new tools (it has much less features than Chromatic), although you can export your own LUTS with both plugins. Coremelt's other plugins like SliceX and TrackX are also awesome (Mocha tech). 

2. Pixel Film Studios has the biggest library in the world of FCPX plugins. Lots of them are crap but there's plenty of gems to be found. 

3. Crumplepop Finisher is voodoo. Astonishing sharpening plugin. 

p.s I have been back to try Premiere. It felt like I'd travelled back in time. Tried DaVinci for editing too - this was a better experience. But not FCPX better (minus colour grading tools obviously). 

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It grows on you, that's for sure

I actually woke up this morning wondering if there are other areas of film production that can be completely re-thought (and improved!) the way that FCPX improved the concept of the timeline. It is a very different way of thinking about laying out shots. But because it is so unmoored from legacy systems and thinking, I feel that much more free to experiment with ideas. It took awhile to learn, and all of my processes are not fully integrated with the software. But cutting and iterating through concepts is so much faster that I wish I could work with it for every project.

15 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

2. Pixel Film Studios has the biggest library in the world of FCPX plugins. Lots of them are crap but there's plenty of gems to be found.

Anybody buying a product from this company should read this first:

https://www.motionvfx.com/mblog/how_to_make_money_on_violating_copyrights,p2217.html

I’m not passing judgment on people who buy their products, but a lot of creators know what this feels like, so I thought people here might like to know. 

Pixel Film Studios should not only have issued a public apology, but also forwarded any earnings from their ill-gotten goods to Motion vfx.

Unfortunately, Pixel Film Studios' statement includes even more falsehoods:

This can happen to anyone and unfortunately MotionVFX capitalized on this moment to ruin competition. Mission accomplished?

The goal of MotionVFX was not to ruin competition, but to prevent the illegal re-branding and sale of their property. 

Pixel Film Studios also has this to say about the employee who supposedly used Motion VFX's effect:

This employee is great person who just made a bad decision.

Not sure what they mean by great - finding shortcuts to doing a job properly? stealing? confessing just hours after the crime? :=) How long has this 'young employee' been working for Pixel Film Studios? Have they gone back and examined his other work to ascertain that it wasn't stolen too? Have they established any company guidelines to prevent this from happening again?

Sorry, it all sounds like bs to me.

The statement also neglects to mention how the employee used the company's email address and paid for the MotionVFX plug-in. Would the employee be so brazen as to use the name of the owner, Christina Austin, to make a purchase? Did this 'great person' also use a stolen credit card to pay for the purchase?

Super not cool.

8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I went to try resolve 14.3 download for free (figured why the heck not...) and I’m only on Yosemite. Will upgrading to high sierra give me issues with adobe premiere pro/Photoshop? Figuring it will...

I had a VERY bumpy ride with after upgrading with Premiere, certainly don't do it if you have WIP projects that you want to work on afterwards.

@Andrew Reid if you want to fade to black, you need some black to fade to. 

Snap the cursor to the beginning/end of your clip and hit Alt-W. That drops in a slug. Now you can Cmd-T (or drag any transition) onto your clip and it will transition to black. Simples.

You have to stop thinking of the timeline as a static, empty canvas. It's more like a sculpture in space. The magnetic timeline is made up only of the elements you add and their interrelationships.

1 hour ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

@Andrew Reid if you want to fade to black, you need some black to fade to. 

Snap the cursor to the beginning/end of your clip and hit Alt-W. That drops in a slug. Now you can Cmd-T (or drag any transition) onto your clip and it will transition to black. Simples.

You have to stop thinking of the timeline as a static, empty canvas. It's more like a sculpture in space. The magnetic timeline is made up only of the elements you add and their interrelationships.

Yes, of course! Good explanation. If it's the last clip (appended at end), you could also hold p and slightly move it to the right (produces a slug). That'd be the fade-in. Then comes Matthias:

58 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

But you can also fade to an empty timeline and it will turn black.

This will fade out.

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 4:02 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Yes.

Yes it is.

Running new 10.4

They added LUT support... wow only took 5 years!

First thing I tried to do was arrange the workspace... nope, can't move jack shit around. Just toggle on/off panels and resize panels.

No, scratch that - first thing I tried to do was a drag and drop of selected media from Finder to the media panel in FCPX. Won't work. Have to go through the shitty import panel!

Next... Tried to make a favourites bin of regularly used effects and basic transitions. LUT, colour correct, etc. all in one place, always present on screen ready to be clicked on. Nope. Too hard for Apple's programmers?!

There are still too many tacky presets and effects to wade through to find the basics. An overwhelming number of iMovie style transitions and gimmick effects. Why are these in a pro editor that costs £300?

Finally, at this point was tearing my hair out... So I tried something REALLY SIMPLE. Fade in and out of a clip. Ah but no...

Even this simple endeavour landed me on my arse. Perhaps I just don't know how to do it right, but the intuitive way is this... Drag transition onto start of clip, and one onto the end of the clip. It would only do the end. Oh, ok. No fade in for me then! Then, it brought up a complaining OK/cancel box about not enough source material to apply a cross fade... Whatever. Clicked ok, and it seemed to shift timing of the clip! WTF! But I had my fade-in and out! Want to hear something really funny? I then dragged the clip to somewhere else on the timeline to check the positioning tool and it dragged the clip there and forgot to bring the fade-in/out with it... WHY WOULD YOU WANT A FADE IN AND OUT TRANSITION WITH NO CLIP!?

Piece. Of. ShIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

But yeah... LUTs.

fcpx.jpg

Performance wise it is good though... I'll give it that.

LUT support has been around for good time now.

Not Abel to fade in a audio or video, shows me the lack of knowing the tool. Ether
A) fade transition
B) a manual transition on the media

Reason for the layout, is the same as other applications like Blackmagic just a example. Muscle memory baby. Sometimes you have to tach yourself where things are.