Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

I will have to agree with what many people have said so far with regards to the flaws...

I mean, given that many other manufacturers have removed the time limit, better battery life, more than just 8bit 4:2:0 and have 4K/60p...

Its a shame... but... I know where I am coming from (i.e. the 5D2, 7D, t3i)... don't get me wrong, I have worked with the 1DC, C500, the Red Raven, but the body size and their relative capabilities are all part of the bigger equation... so this is still a valid solution for me. I mean, look at that IQ (this is after I saw videos in more capable hands), still will wait for more reviews, I want more direct comparisons to other hybrid cameras before I make a decision to buy it.

Speaking of which... is this thing as big as the 1DX/1DC/1DX mark 2 with the grip on???

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Matter of opinion of course but I think the XT2 is a worthy upgrade to your system :grin: When I did a side by side comparison of the two cameras I definitely knew which image I preferred. Plus the NX1 has that awful problem where you cant switch between EVF and back LCD after hitting record.

54 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Many others? 

lol... I was too lazy to actually count.... I didn't want to say most, all or few.... so for the time being the word "many" suited the situation. :D

Editted to add: In retrospect, there is only 2 in DSLR form factor with all the above features, and only 1 in this price range.

1 hour ago, Logan said:

Apparently one equals many.

Get out of your Panasonic only field of vision. Read that sentence carefully.... is 8bit 4:2:2 better than 8 bit 4:2:0???? How many cameras does that offer now?

I never talked about price, form-factor, sensor size... so technically....

Arri cams, Red cams, higher end Sony cams, Canon EOS line, etc.... all fit that description.... is it still 1 now?

I'm sure not many people shoot F-Log with the X-T2. I do, and in many cases the footage is unusable because of the noise in the red channel. Sometimes it's really bad, like the implementation is broken somehow. Now I downloaded some X-H1 F-Log footage from the photographyblog.com, and it seems that they solved this issue. This is big news for a few people, me included :)

7 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

It is not about having extra batteries or not. It is how much time you get with each, for example, people routinely complain about battery performance of Sony cameras. 

The biggest problem is that Fuji had spent years and years arguing about the size advantage relative to FF, now they offer a camera that has almost the same crop as the top end m4/3,  it is almost as big & heavy as the Sony FF equivalent with ~1/3 of the battery performance for video. Add the battery grip and now it is larger and heavier than a FF camera. 

Why do people always want to defend cameras until death?  There are advantages & disadvantages with any camera. Let's be realistic about it so people can choose a bit wisely. Battery performance with X-H1 looks to be crap. No reason to argue against this. 

"Why do people always want to defend cameras until death?" Indeed! But that one you should ask to Sony fanboys instead :-D You see me to praise the Lord of cameras, not to denigrate with their eventual shortcomings. As far as myself, I am not here defending an investment I didn't comply... yet ; ) Battery performance means nothing, close to the best IQ Fujifilm cameras produce...

23 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

So I didnt expect good things from Fuji's first attempt at IBIS, but this guy got good shots with 11 second and 5 second exposures 

https://keithwee.com/portfolio/heralding-the-next-step-of-evolution-the-fujifilm-x-h1-review-in-2000-words-and-a-ton-of-sample-images/

They seemed to have really done the engineering right. Fuji says they have dual processors just for IBIS:

"A three-axis accelerometer, a three-axis gyro sensor and a dedicated dual processor work together to carry out processing and correction approximately 10,000 times every second to achieve image stabilization performance with advanced speed and precision"

Plus the new shutter:

"The top plate of the FUJIFILM X-H1's shutter unit is equipped with suspension for absorbing delicate shock generated by the operation of the mechanical shutter. This minimizes camera shake risks to maximize the effect of image stabilization. The mechanism reduces shutter noise to the lowest level in the history of X Series"

So far it looks better than Sony, but not quite Olympus. Will be interesting to see side-by-side comparisons. 

Chris

5 hours ago, mkabi said:

Speaking of which... is this thing as big as the 1DX/1DC/1DX mark 2 with the grip on???

I would guess probably not, the grip doesn't add another 70mm in height, or 857g, or make it any wider, or make it thicker. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.16.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.15.53 PM.png

4 hours ago, Logan said:

Apparently one equals many.

I see this is your first post here..... I have to ask, is your surname "Paul"?

2 hours ago, mkabi said:

Arri cams, Red cams, higher end Sony cams, Canon EOS line, etc.... all fit that description.... is it still 1 now?

Not fair to compare non-stills cameras which are priced waaaaaay over $2K with a sub $2K stills camera. 

In that category, only one camera (not just one brand, ONE CAMERA! That is just how few) stands alone: Panasonic GH5

On 2018/2/13 at 2:41 PM, leeys said:

I'm just curious how you managed to miss so many shots; my experience for situations using AF-S is that the Panasonics are very good. I used a GH3 for a couple of events (not my type of photography even) and it acquitted itself very well.

Me too, I'm curious as to how it missed in situations where it shouldn't; subjects lit by spotlight, in broad daylight, not even moving for that matter. I too have used the GH3 and still use the GH4 extensively and I haven't experienced what I did with the GH5. GH4 just snaps on to where I want to focus in photo or video mode as it should, I have lots of nice and sharp action shots, some of my all time favorite photos were taken with that camera. So naturally I assumed I would get the same performance or better with the GH5 but I'm left being more cautious on shoots now. Using lenses such as the 12-35, 35-100 and 75mm 1.8, either the AF was completely worthless and won't even let me get to take the shot, or it would just be inaccurate and focus slightly forward or behind, so for a while I was thinking those lenses were actually not very sharp wide open, or I thought it was something to do with the GH5's sensor design, as when I go to see GH4 shots the lenses were definitely sharp enough.

That shoulder LCD I think is about as useful as the touch bar on a Macbook Pro. One reviewer says he can't count the number of times he's forgotten to put an SD card in his camera and the LCD reminded him. WTF? The implementation by Panasonic is incomparably smarter; just by touching the LCD screen, you can access a dozen parameters and change them on the fly. And for a company not known for their aesthetics, the video info display on the GH5 is a work of art. And speaking of SD cards, would it have killed Fuji to allow recording to both cards simultaneously? Can user settings all be stored on a card? AFAIK, the touch screen on the X-H1 doesn't have tap to focus either. Is there a reason why a headphone jack couldn't have been included in the body? And if not zebras, why blinking highlights? They have no known value and are not programmable, so virtually useless for judging proper exposure, whether a stills shooter or a filmmaker. No teleconverter mode, which can be invaluable when you need that extra reach: both Sony and Panasonic have systems that essentially turn each lens into two. No hybrid log gamma for those interested in quickly uploading HDR videos to the Web. A flippy screen isn't absolutely essential if you've got a functioning remote app, but Fuji has neither. Being able to record with an external mic and the internal at the same time is a clever idea, but where are the videos showing the UI? Does Fuji still incorporate the all but useless tiny level meters found on the X-T2, or is it possible to see the audio level meter on its own dedicated page on the LCD? And apparently the audio coming out of the expensive VPB is distorted, rendering monitoring impossible until a firmware update is issued. The power booster is an essential piece of kit, but it makes flying on a gimbal or putting the camera in a cage all but impossible and makes carrying the camera cumbersome. It is also just another source of possible malfunctions. No 60p for times when you want beautiful 4K slow motion shots. A micro HDMI port, reviled by all filmmakers. Not only are proper exposure tools missing, but the information that is included in the display is inscrutably tiny. I really have to squint to even just read the exposure meter on the X-T2. The shutter speed and aperture dials are right at your fingertips on the Panasonic - no need to remove your eye from the EVF - with the Fuji, it's a two handed operation that may or may not require taking attention away from your shooting. And again, no shutter angle, which comes in so handy when you're shooting at different frame rates and avoids inadvertently shooting at the wrong shutter speed.