Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

"Long" time ago, you said @Kisaha...?! Ah OK, right... ; )

Can I be labeled Fuji fanboy for reacting against unfairness practice over Fujifilm cameras?

It is for the side of my bed where I dream the best (here's one of the reasons why LOL ; ))

Never mind... The same you're able to find from my keyboard when it is Samsung or any other player to earn my respect and appreciation to be allocated on the same table :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

"Long" time ago, you said @Kisaha...?! Ah OK, right ; )

Can I be labeled Fuji fanboy for reacting against unfairness practice over Fujifilm cameras?

It is for the side of my bed where I dream the best (here's one of the reasons why LOL ; ))

Never mind... The same you'll find from my keyboard when it is Samsung or any other player to earn my respect and appreciation on the table :-)

I don't know what you mean, I just quoted Max Yuryev because that proves that Sony/Fuji defendants is a general fact. Last post in this thread anyway, it doesn't seem that this camera will interest me in the end.

He does these videos all the time, I meant, I am not following him, but I have seen those two under, I bet he has more.

This is for Sony (long time ago was 2 months obviously!)

This is for the Samsung NX1 

LOL Before or after he had started to review Sony gear more often as he's used to show off nowadays...?! hehe ; )

I don't care, mate. He has already failed to address some other suggestions I even had the patience to ask him to test (Panasonic AF related IIRC) so I already have my judgement for the subject matter. I'll hardly change my opinion on topic.

At times, some practices happen because they're competitors. Some other times, it is a way to push some party of our inner circle to be more involved and committed with us... A subtle form for raising the bar? (No one likes to have their work underestimated : D It happens ; ))

I am usually very skeptical to take as granted things people make when they keep up appearances. Well, reality goes deeper than them (that is, if my non-native English makes any sense : )

Nice find and argument @Kisaha BTW :-)

I don't believe Max has any secret hidden agenda (but who really knows? ;) ) i just think it's his personal issues with so & so cam. the format tends itself to be very one sided though. he's also been called out in his comparison vids to make some pretty blatant mistakes, although to be fair comparison videos are extremely difficult to make accurately (so many variables to take into account).

13 hours ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Before or after he had started to review Sony gear more often as he's used to show off nowadays...?! hehe ; )

I don't care, mate. He has already failed to address some other suggestions I even had the patience to ask him to test (Panasonic AF related IIRC) so I already have my judgement for the subject matter. I'll hardly change my opinion on topic.

At times, some practices happen because they're competitors. Some other times, it is a way to push some party of our inner circle to be more involved and committed with us... A subtle form for raising the bar? (No one likes to have their work underestimated : D It happens ; ))

I am usually very skeptical to take as granted things people make when they keep up appearances. Well, reality goes deeper than them (that is, if my non-native English makes any sense : )

Nice find and argument @Kisaha BTW :-)

But Max’s points are all factual: short battery life, no headphone jack, inability to record video to both cards simultaneously, FAT32 cards, moire. What precisely are you skeptical of? ?

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

So two ergonomic complaints, a complaint about the buffer and a complaint about low light performance.

Yes, the dedicated ISO button is on the far left shoulder of the camera. But as he points out himself in the video, you can change ISO directly with the jog dial on the right - easy as pie. Or you can press Fn and use the thumb dials, if you're scared of accidentally moving the jog dial at some point. So the whole criticism is moot and he makes it moot himself. It's more of a handling tip than a complaint, then? But in the clickbait headline it's a PROBLEM.

The other complaint is that the screen flips out, rather than be fully articulated like on the GH5. But the Sony screens do that as well, don't they, and he raves about them.

The buffer section of the video I skipped... Can't comment. Not related to video whatsoever.

The 4K video performance in low light... Well, this was before the high bitrate hack and NX-L adapter :) So I'll give him that. No, it isn't an A7S and never will be, but ISO 800 is cleaner than the GH4... Virtually noiseless... And that, at F1.0 on the NX-L, is not what I call "bad low light performance" ;)

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So two ergonomic complaints, a complaint about the buffer and a complaint about low light performance.

Yes, the dedicated ISO button is on the far left shoulder of the camera. But as he points out himself in the video, you can change ISO directly with the jog dial on the right - easy as pie. Or you can press Fn and use the thumb dials, if you're scared of accidentally moving the jog dial at some point. So the whole criticism is moot and he makes it moot himself. It's more of a handling tip than a complaint, then? But in the clickbait headline it's a PROBLEM.

The other complaint is that the screen flips out, rather than be fully articulated like on the GH5. But the Sony screens do that as well, don't they, and he raves about them.

The buffer section of the video I skipped... Can't comment. Not related to video whatsoever.

The 4K video performance in low light... Well, this was before the high bitrate hack and NX-L adapter :) So I'll give him that. No, it isn't an A7S and never will be, but ISO 800 is cleaner than the GH4... Virtually noiseless... And that, at F1.0 on the NX-L, is not what I call "bad low light performance" ;)

I know, I have 2 NX1, 1 NX500 and a NX3000 for good measures!

The point was that he doesn't specifically attack Fuji in his video about the H1, is a series of videos that he does all the time. I have expressed my opinion about Yuryev's videos, he is a wedding videographer and seems like a nice guy, and that's that, but it was implied that he is "attacking" Fuji, without doing the same on other brands, which is not true. He is favoring Sony, for sure, but until recently he had 3 NX1 cameras, and he is making all these clickbait videos for all brands, and it must be working, because those 2 I posted above were the only ones I have seen of him recently!

The Fuji facts are more serious though, and Fuji supporters (like cameras need funs!?!) are very sensitive to criticism. 

@Vladimir Thanks for sharing your work. Hard to discern much from about the X-H1 from that set of images - very much about creating an emotional feel rather than the "impact" of the second half.

Can you say a bit about settings that worked better for you / differences from the X-T2 that you appreciated from bit rates to lens options, etc.? Whatever stood out to you / made the the shoot easier or not?

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

But Max’s points are all factual: short battery life, no headphone jack, inability to record video to both cards simultaneously, FAT32 cards, moire. What precisely are you skeptical of? ?

A good point is always to be picky on the flaws of the opponent side whatever it is, correct? ; )

Something from my past experience with him when he simply didn't follow some tips I left there on GH5 AF performance. He read it so but he kept going to insist to not research the matter at least; always repeating the same mantra until FUD pops up as a fake truth or only half-true as you wish spread all over internet. That kind of behaviour truly raises red flags to my book.

As we all know, we can make any splendorous device to perform crappy as we wish ; ))

Andrew's post sums up the whole leftover. I guess no more need to add anything more on topic. For some reason Andrew's forum/blog is my fav one and the most fair unbiased corner we can find on internet for cameras technology and its discussion. I think we can all agree on it or we wouldn't be here, isn't it? :-)

Cheers,

E :-)

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I know, I have 2 NX1, 1 NX500 and a NX3000 for good measures!

The point was that he doesn't specifically attack Fuji in his video about the H1, is a series of videos that he does all the time. I have expressed my opinion about Yuryev's videos, he is a wedding videographer and seems like a nice guy, and that's that, but it was implied that he is "attacking" Fuji, without doing the same on other brands, which is not true. He is favoring Sony, for sure, but until recently he had 3 NX1 cameras, and he is making all these clickbait videos for all brands, and it must be working, because those 2 I posted above were the only ones I have seen of him recently!

The Fuji facts are more serious though, and Fuji supporters (like cameras need funs!?!) are very sensitive to criticism. 

I don't think Fuji fanboys are made of a different kind ; ) I always appreciate healthy criticism when fair enough : )

27 minutes ago, Walter H said:

Can you say a bit about settings that worked better for you / differences from the X-T2 that you appreciated from bit rates to lens options, etc.? Whatever stood out to you / made the the shoot easier or not?

i wanted x-h1 because of ibis (95% of my lenses is manual) and that was the first reason to buy x-h1 but ends up ETERNA is on pair with it in terms of improvement over x-t2.

IBIS is good, but have major issue when moving diagonal - ibis making some jerky vertical-horizontal steps instead of diagonal movement. im really hoping fuji gonna fix/optimise this, but for now im just gonna master the way im moving the camera, its capable of doing great smooth shots with it current state. Still there's nothing you can do when rolling shutter showing his ugly face even if ibis is working properly.

Battery life doesnt worried me for now and im already bought an original dummy adapter for using with external power bank ( will see how its work )

The only downside i strongly dislike its a moire/antialiasing. x-h1 losing here to every competitors starting from 24fps to 120. You surely dont expect that from 2018 year flagman. its true. it sucks. But still i prefere x-t2/x-h1 faaar more for video in hybrid package for what fuji doing with color in 8bit codec. its just unbeatable ( expecting Canon to deliever something in this category  is the same as expecting Kodak to revive : )

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I don't think Fuji fanboys are made of a different kind ; ) I always appreciate healthy criticism when fair enough : )

You have misunderstood, I never implied that it was you! I just quoted Max's line from his intro, and happened under your comment, sorry if it seemed that I was referring to you! I know from your presence in the forums and your real life experience that you are not fanboying anyone! 

The only 2 persons (professionals) that I know that own Fuji, will skip this camera, and they are expecting the X-T3 to be vastly superior.

35 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

You have misunderstood, I never implied that it was you! I just quoted Max's line from his intro, and happened under your comment, sorry if it seemed that I was referring to you! I know from your presence in the forums and your real life experience that you are not fanboying anyone! 

The only 2 persons (professionals) that I know that own Fuji, will skip this camera, and they are expecting the X-T3 to be vastly superior.

No worries, mate : ) LOL I love to play with the concept... there are fanboys and fayboys hehe Thanks anyway to rule me out of there : )) Nice from you, buddy :-)

We can't love cameras anymore without label them as our mistresses, isn't it? ;-)

9 hours ago, Vladimir said:

The only downside i strongly dislike its a moire/antialiasing. x-h1 losing here to every competitors starting from 24fps to 120. You surely dont expect that from 2018 year flagman. 

Are you seeing this in 4k? I've seen lots of aliasing/moire in 1080p samples, but I haven't seen anything too obvious in 4k yet.

Chris

10 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Are you seeing this in 4k? I've seen lots of aliasing/moire in 1080p samples, but I haven't seen anything too obvious in 4k yet.

Chris

i've seen moire in 4k from x-t2 (clothes), not often but still little more than competitors can have

On 20/04/2018 at 8:16 PM, Kisaha said:

Vastly superior how?

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

Vastly superior how?

Their words, (to put everything in perspective, their main system is Nikon, but they tried to change full on Fuji but still they can't)

1) better ergonomics. They size/weight of the specific camera is too much for an APS-C system.

2) battery life, before (in older cameras too) and in the current one. Bigger battery.

3) Better sensor. 

4) other smaller things, that I do not remember, didn't pay much attention at the time of the conversations.

You have to understand that most pro, were working for years with Canon and Nikon dSLRs, so a pretty face isn't just enough for pro work. Also, as I mentioned above (and other times) the only people I know with Fuji had/or still have Nikon dSLR cameras and they needed a mirrorless system. I believe some of them, will move back to Nikon, if they offer a good mirrorless system, and soon, so the next Fuji moves will be very important for their pro aspect of their business.

• Super Members

They need to up their comms game as well.

For stills, a dedicated plug on wifi and ethernet ftp module needs to happen.

For video (but stills too) they obviously have to sort out that remote shooting issue crippling the video to only recording 720p. 

With that in mind, I think I've got an idea for a (slightly clunky) solution for it of sorts for the current cameras that I'll share when I've tested it.