Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

1 minute ago, frontfocus said:

I think most of those are hardware limitations. 

A single X-Processor can handle 4K at 30fps, dual processor would have been able to handle 4K with 60fps, but Fuji didn't put those into the camera. I think the sensor might have handled 60fps, but not with downsampling. Just line skipped. 

The most we might hope for would be 4K 30p 10 bit, but even that might just be too much heat. But let's hope, wait and see. But I think we will have to wait for new hardware to see 4K 60p or faster

I don't know who to believe here, but according to @Emanuel's site recommendation: https://photographylife.com/fujifilm-x-h1-vs-x-t2

The X-H1 does have dual processor... now how much of either processors is working on IBIS calculations, who knows.... but may be if we turn off IBIS, we can also engage 4K/60p  & 10 bit... RAW through HDMI pretty please!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

I think it will. I suspect, that the Slow motion is line skipped and not downsampled and that results in moire and lower resolution. 

Interesting. I may not be the first to upgrade then. I'm not crazy about inheriting one of the image issues that would keep me from holding onto the X-H1. 

49 minutes ago, mkabi said:

I don't know who to believe here, but according to @Emanuel's site recommendation: https://photographylife.com/fujifilm-x-h1-vs-x-t2

The X-H1 does have dual processor... now how much of either processors is working on IBIS calculations, who knows.... but may be if we turn off IBIS, we can also engage 4K/60p  & 10 bit... RAW through HDMI pretty please!

They got that wrong. Fuji was thinking about dual X-Processor and those ideas go back to 2016 and the introduction of the X-Pro2. But they opted to not go that route. Neither the GFX medium format camera nor the X-H1 have dual processors. It seems, the processor puts out a lot of heat. That's why the smaller cameras have problems, the X-A5 can't use the processor but has to use a different one. 

What the X-H1 has and I guess that's where the site got it's wrong idea from, are separate dual processors for the image stabilisation system, but those are independent of the main processor and don't support it with image processing

1 hour ago, frontfocus said:

A single X-Processor can handle 4K at 30fps, dual processor would have been able to handle 4K with 60fps, but Fuji didn't put those into the camera. I think the sensor might have handled 60fps, but not with downsampling. Just line skipped. 

The most we might hope for would be 4K 30p 10 bit, but even that might just be too much heat. But let's hope, wait and see. But I think we will have to wait for new hardware to see 4K 60p or faster

I think it will. I suspect, that the Slow motion is line skipped and not downsampled and that results in moire and lower resolution. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how a dual processor could make 4k60p happen, the sensor readout speed wouldn't change. As it stands there's already a crop and some pretty severe rolling shutter with the current 4k options. We'll need to see a new sensor with a faster readout speed for 4k60p.

1 hour ago, frontfocus said:

That's not how dual processors work on mobile devices, they cannot do parallel tasks like computers with dual socket CPU. One processor is responsible for specific set of tasks. So it's not like 30p for each processor and you get 60p.

1 hour ago, mkabi said:

One of the processor is dedicated to IBIS and relevant processing.

10 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

That's not how dual processors work on mobile devices, they cannot do parallel tasks like computers with dual socket CPU. One processor is responsible for specific set of tasks. So it's not like 30p for each processor and you get 60p.

Yes, but those Fuji Processors are said to handle close to 500MP/s. I guess it would take a second processor to do camera operations, autofocus, liveview and so on for a single processor to do 4k60p. But then again, probably the sensor was limiting.

Anyway, here is what Fuji had on their press presentation slides about the new processor when they released the X-Pro2

5acda1c8c7d48_X-Processor60p.png.ba0ab704fd56ee591d9994b9ef604ff8.png

• Super Members

I must be getting old as all I was thinking watching that was "Get off the tracks you bloody idiots"

Its impressive stuff though. The Kipon version with the focal reducer is the one I'm hanging on for.

I'm also hopeful that now we are getting AF adapters from several sources for Fuji that the TechArt Pro adapter might cross over as well. 

On 3/23/2018 at 1:10 AM, BTM_Pix said:

My theory is that its stills and video modes are so distinct code wise that it is effectively almost like a reboot when you switch, hence why it has to be a physical control.

Apparently every time the original BMPCC switched frame rates it was rebooting! :-o But it was doing it pretty quickly. 

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its impressive stuff though. The Kipon version with the focal reducer is the one I'm hanging on for.

Yeah, it's very interesting, too bad that the Baveyes Kipon speedbooster, is optically by far the worst speedbooster. Would be nice to see Fringer collaborate with metabones. 

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Apparently every time the original BMPCC switched frame rates it was rebooting! :-o But it was doing it pretty quickly. 

Yes, I spotted that the other day. Was it Jon Brawley who said that?

4 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

Yeah, it's very interesting, too bad that the Baveyes Kipon speedbooster, is optically by far the worst speedbooster. Would be nice to see Fringer collaborate with metabones. 

Yes, I'm hanging on waiting for someone else to buy it and do an A/B ;)

2 hours ago, Robin Billingham said:

Any one know how good the 1080p quality is on the xh1/xt2 ?

My basis for comparison would be gh5 great/ sony a6500 pretty bad.

Just wondering for when the reduced rolling shutter would be beneficial and if it would cut with the 4k 

Do you have a 4K monitor?

You don't need someone else to tell you how good an image of one camera is from another... you can do that for yourself.

May be I am coming off as too strong here...

In any case, I suggest that you go to youtube and look for "Fuji X-T2 vs Canon 5D mark IV 4K" by Sierra Creative. Watch both parts (1 & 2)...

I believe that he upscales 1080/60p to 4K and pits it against its own 4K.... I don't have a 4K monitor to tell the difference... but its interesting and gives you insight of upscaling possibilities.

22 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Do you have a 4K monitor?

You don't need someone else to tell you how good an image of one camera is from another... you can do that for yourself.

May be I am coming off as too strong here...

In any case, I suggest that you go to youtube and look for "Fuji X-T2 vs Canon 5D mark IV 4K" by Sierra Creative. Watch both parts (1 & 2)...

I believe that he upscales 1080/60p to 4K and pits it against its own 4K.... I don't have a 4K monitor to tell the difference... but its interesting and gives you insight of upscaling possibilities.

I dont have a 4k monitor yet although even on a HD monitor the a6500 1080p looks really soft. Ill check that comparison and do a little more research on it.

Thanks for your response :)

5 hours ago, Robin Billingham said:

Any one know how good the 1080p quality is on the xh1/xt2 ?

My basis for comparison would be gh5 great/ sony a6500 pretty bad.

Just wondering for when the reduced rolling shutter would be beneficial and if it would cut with the 4k 

cant tell in comparsion but here is a mockup edit of a footage i shot with x-t2 (1080p60, pinch of cc and grain): 

Here's a long, somewhat professional, video-centric review of the XH1:

And here what it can do under professional hands:

I'm about to try out the camera soon, but I'm almost decided. Fuji+Flog+Eterna is the closest I've seen to an ALEXA under €10k, highlight rolloff, color, and motion. 

On top of that, lenses are superb, it's a perfect hybrid camera -it's great for photos-, the new Linear ManualFocus solves focus by wire issues, the High EVF with focus peaking is perfect for MF, and the XH1 along with the XT20 make a great A/B combo system -for peanuts.