Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Seems Fuji follows Panasonic on firmware updates of significant importance. Nice for all of us, their customers :-)

I think Fuji was one of the first to roll out significant firmwareupdates. Only it was with stills until now, since their cameras weren't really made for video. All Fuji cameras have gotten many firmwareupdates, it's something one should think of when buying it.

The X-T2 was introduced at the beginning of July 2016. And it gets some very nice features like internal Log recording or slowmotion for free now. 

It won't match the X-H1, will still be missing features like 1/48s shutter speed, 200Mbit codec, Eterna film simulation, DR200% and Dr400% and other features and of course it won't get features similar to a GH5s, but I think X-T2 buyers never expected those to happen. 

Overall it's very nice to see those things added, for those owning both X-H1 and X-T2 this helps a lot. 

7 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

I think Fuji was one of the first to roll out significant firmwareupdates. Only it was with stills until now, since their cameras weren't really made for video. All Fuji cameras have gotten many firmwareupdates, it's something one should think of when buying it.

The X-T2 was introduced at the beginning of July 2016. And it gets some very nice features like internal Log recording or slowmotion for free now. 

It won't match the X-H1, will still be missing features like 1/48s shutter speed, 200Mbit codec, Eterna film simulation, DR200% and Dr400% and other features and of course it won't get features similar to a GH5s, but I think X-T2 buyers never expected those to happen. 

Overall it's very nice to see those things added, for those owning both X-H1 and X-T2 this helps a lot. 

Sorry mate, my bad, very likely. I've just arrived to their digital range now : ) Sony and mainly Panasonic have been the scope of my standard in the video realm so far. Fuji to me was Fujifilm, literally :-)

3 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Sorry mate, my bad, very likely. I've just arrived to their digital range now : ) Sony and mainly Panasonic have been the scope of my standard in the video realm so far. Fuji to me was Fujifilm, literally :-)

It‘s no surprise, that people in a videocentric forum don‘t really know a lot about the digital Fuji cameras. The first generations (X-Pro1) video was unusable. Second gen (X-T1) was bad.

That‘s why it was a big surprise, when Fuji had very nice quality video with the X-T2 and improved upon it, especially on the Handling with the X-H1.

Their firmware policy, often called Kaizen philosophy, developed more out of need. Their first cameras, X100 and X-Pro1 were missing quite some feature people were used to and had some bugs. So Fuji improved, and improved and kept improving. Just zake a look at the list of improvements for those cameras

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/history.html

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/history.html

With their new cameras they kept that philosophy and add most features from new models which. Very nice idea, but it needs a lot of ressources. And if you look at the comments of fujirumors, people are actually complaining, because they want more and more

• Super Members

Internal F-LOG is a big winner for me personally.

Would've been nice to have Eterna internal as well but as Fuji have released the F-LOG > Eterna LUT for it in their last update its not a major issue.

So if we couldn't have both, I'm glad they chose the internal F-LOG !

56 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Internal F-LOG is a big winner for me personally.

Would've been nice to have Eterna internal as well but as Fuji have released the F-LOG > Eterna LUT for it in their last update its not a major issue.

So if we couldn't have both, I'm glad they chose the internal F-LOG !

Yes, I've been desiring internal F-Log as well and with the hopes of the Eterna LUT... But in playing with F-Log from the X-H1, the bummer about the LUT is that it applies a REC 709 curve which crushes shadows far too much for my liking. I wish there was an Eterna LUT with a much milder curve. When I simply applying a curve to F-Log pushes, blues push toward teal or purple (depending upon initial WB), i.e. more fiddly color correction, whereas the LUT just nails the color in a click. But that curve...

I currently have an X-H1 which I am debating to return. This is tough - trying to determine if it brings enough benefit.

I LOVE the shutter, the Eterna, relative ease of switch between photo and video, internal stabilization, quickly grabbing both photo/video with my Fuji lenses.

The body grip is GOOD but I'm very happy with the X-T2 plus external battery grip. Either work well for lenses such as Sigma's 18-35. The X-H1 plus battery grip does appear larger to subjects - it's more noticeable - than the X-T2 and that's a bummer for the lower-profile event shooting that I do. I like to blend for candids. I would likely shoot the X-H1 w/o the battery grip at such events. 

I am MEH on the performance of the internal stabilization. It is great to shoot stabilized footage with my 23 or 56, etc. But there is jumpiness that I don't care for and at wider angles, there at times appears to be a "warp stabilizer" effect that I really loathe - I think it happens with a slight change of pitch rather than pan or tilt motions. I have been spoiled with the lens stabilization of Canon's 17-55/2.8 on my C100mkII. I've just picked up Fringer's Smart Adapter and now I really like that lens on the X-T2. It's just large, doesn't go to 1.4, etc.

I DISLIKE the amount of additional aliasing I am seeing in the X-H1 footage. We all know about the 120 slow-mo but I see it in the 60p in circumstances where the X-T2 has none. Need to look more at the 24p in both HD and 4K to compare.

The IBIS irregularities and the aliasing dissuade me. Now with this firmware update for the X-T2. Hmmm....

1 hour ago, Walter H said:

I DISLIKE the amount of additional aliasing I am seeing in the X-H1 footage. We all know about the 120 slow-mo but I see it in the 60p in circumstances where the X-T2 has none.

Unfortunately not a lot of people speak about the problem in 1080p60 because it's not that obvious, I wonder if it will be fixed at all. Seeing the new upgrades I kinda wish I hadn't sold my X-T2.

6 hours ago, frontfocus said:

With all these upgrades to the X-T2 - what 1.5 years after its announcement?

I don't see why they can't do the same with the X-H1 - I mean - 4K/60p internal, 4K/120p external, 10bit 4:2:2 and RAW out..... 

Yes, it may take 1.5 years or more... but knowing that it can come in the future, its quite comforting.

BTW, I wonder if the X-T2 will show the same aliasing/moire issues in Slow motion.

5 minutes ago, mkabi said:

BTW, I wonder if the X-T2 will show the same aliasing/moire issues in Slow motion.

We will find out soon, but I and others have noted already that what is the X-T2's image is nice at 1080/60p and the X-H1 trips up. Will try to post what I have noticed the past few days later this eve. 

1 minute ago, Walter H said:

We will find out soon, but I and others have noted already that what is the X-T2's image is nice at 1080/60p and the X-H1 trips up. Will try to post what I have noticed the past few days later this eve. 

That 1080/60p may trip up in the X-T2 after the update. At which point, we will know that its all software and not hardware. 

For those that have a fuji X-T2, I suggest you film things now (date it) and repeat after the update. If there is an issue, you have proof to show Fujifilms corp.

26 minutes ago, mkabi said:

With all these upgrades to the X-T2 - what 1.5 years after its announcement?

I don't see why they can't do the same with the X-H1 - I mean - 4K/60p internal, 4K/120p external, 10bit 4:2:2 and RAW out..... 

I think most of those are hardware limitations. 

A single X-Processor can handle 4K at 30fps, dual processor would have been able to handle 4K with 60fps, but Fuji didn't put those into the camera. I think the sensor might have handled 60fps, but not with downsampling. Just line skipped. 

The most we might hope for would be 4K 30p 10 bit, but even that might just be too much heat. But let's hope, wait and see. But I think we will have to wait for new hardware to see 4K 60p or faster

31 minutes ago, mkabi said:

I think it will. I suspect, that the Slow motion is line skipped and not downsampled and that results in moire and lower resolution.