Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

3 minutes ago, Django said:

IBIS is not a replacement for a gimbal. YMMV depending on sensor size etc.. but generally it definitely works best when standing still to eliminate micro shakes. Sony even calls it's IBIS "steady shot". In such practice XH-1's IBIS does imo an excellent job. For stills, it's even better allowing sharp usable shots at sub 1/15 levels, allowing excellent low-light capabilities for still subjects.

All true, I guess I'm just coming off my few months of GH5/E-M1ii ownerships where I was truly spoiled in that regard.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

All true, I guess I'm just coming off my few months of GH5/E-M1ii ownerships where I was truly spoiled in that regard.

What about to compare your feelings on them all? Not only as far as IBIS concerns BTW.

It is always interesting to see the reasons behind someone buys a new camera tool. Do you want to tell us more about yours?

E :-)

16 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

What about to compare your feelings on them all? Not only as far as IBIS concerns BTW.

It is always interesting to see the reasons behind someone buys a new camera tool. Do you want to tell us more about yours?

E :-)

Well I liked the E-M1ii quite a bit, but knowing that the GH5 had 10bit, 400mbps ALL-I kept gnawing at me (even though I had no issue with the video I was getting from the E-M1ii), so I ended up switching. And the GH5 I quite liked as well, though its AF was definitely a step down from the phase-detection on the Olympus, so again I'm never happy. But everything was fine, until the A7iii was announced, for basically the same price I paid for the GH5, and it just seemed to be by far the smart choice all around. And I've owned quite a few Sony's, and besides the rolling shutter and boring erogomics, the picture and AF was always solid. The problem is the waiting for the A7iii to come out, I start seeing all these rave reviews of the Fuji, a company I also love quite a bit, so here I am.

I think it comes down to the fact that I can't afford more than one camera, so I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal for the price (which is completely relative and unobtainable). I really had been doing quite well with sticking to one camera for the past year or so until a few months ago...

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

And what about the step up from GH5 to X-H1? IBIS aside, of course, what do you have to express on the differences in-between both toys to you? :-)

I've spent too much money, blood, sweat and tears to just give away all my secrets. You'll have to go buy all the cameras yourself to find out.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Step sideways perhaps.

I think you've been going really optimistic over there... : D GH5 is a much superior acquisition device in good hands, it doesn't matter how better Fuji IQ seems to be straight out the box, because it is at first glance but not on the paper to begin with.

No 4K60p and 10-bit 4:2:2 400Mbps other than that, place both tools in very distinct realms indeed IMO (Mr. Williams didn't. I do. hehe)

1 hour ago, Brian Williams said:

I've spent too much money, blood, sweat and tears to just give away all my secrets. You'll have to go buy all the cameras yourself to find out.

I'd only appreciate to hear you -- that's all ; ) I'd rather always feel my best bet to listen the others' input. What others have found without letting down my own convictions to coexist as well, even when they don't match in a way or another. Well, it actually depends on the strength of the argument(s) from the other side : )

No need to go further on that one just because it is already too late to infer anything new for the subject matter to my own ; )) These are along GH5S my full top-3 toys as of today.

Secrets exist for disclosing up, isn't it? LOL :X

Moreover, especially in an open forum like this one. Where voluntary contribution is a natural law, I believe. Or if not, both secrets and forums wouldn't be called like that, I guess ;-)

Go figure if Andrew (to only mention the most famous contributor among all of us) would follow such obnoxious spirit... : D

No hard feelings, fellow user, that's merely the way I am: a free spirit in the middle of all of you (not alone nor far away to be the only one I hope, once exclusivity can end at the wrong side of the story sometimes ; )) I tend to be the most part I may apply :-)

@DaveAltizer Has his review of the X-H1 up.... although, I feel like 70% is about its photo capabilities?

Although, @DaveAltizer did a good job, even compared pictures from the 1DC with pictures of the X-H1. But where is the video to video comparison man?

BTW, my picks are A-B-B. His answer is buried in deep in the comments section, amongst other viewers picks.... very interesting.

I tried out the camera and the 16-55mm f2.8 and 56mm f1.2 in London last Friday. What an awesome combination. Felt real good in the hand and the images were superb as always. However, after watching Max's videos I have decided to go with the A73 afterall. Some of its features will just be really useful for me, but I will definitely miss the use of my Fuji 35mm f1.4, the sideways tilting screen and the higher resolution EVF. 

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

How's the zoom action on the 16-55mm F2.8. Does it tighten up at the end a bit like the 18-135mm?

AF was silent?

Zoom does not tighten on my copy as far as I can tell. Autofocus if not silent is very very quiet....

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

How's the zoom action on the 16-55mm F2.8. Does it tighten up at the end a bit like the 18-135mm?

AF was silent?

My 16-55 2.8 has the same resistance throughout the Zoom range. AF is very silent. Quieter than the small f2 primes. The 23 f2 is equally fast but not as accurate as the 16-55.

Regarding @DaveAltizer review. Pretty nice but think more attention could have been given to how workflow is affected by having the separate silent controls for video that overrides the physical controls and thereby stores all the settings. Made a video yesterday and frustrated how I have to go through all the picture settings on my X-Pro before hitting record. If only I could just flick one dial and have everything set up.

Further, I doubt vloggers make up “10-20%” of the market for high end cameras. A fully articulating screen is much slower and more frustrating to use for everyone, the vast majority, who is not taking pictures of themselves. One flick vs flick turn fiddle. And I very much dislike looking at a screen that’s off the camera’s center axis. All these reviewers of course benefit from a vlogger optimised camera, and they have loud voices through YouTube. It’s annoying how most of them review based mostly on their own needs. We get comments like “I don’t understand why one wouldn’t have an articulated screen”. It’s the difference between the new breed of reviewers and the old school professional reviewers.

And it rubs me the wrong way equating physical controls with “retro”. It’s no more retro than an analog watch face vs a digital watch face. I prefer an analog watch face because it shows me a sort of diagram of the day which makes it easier for me to plan and think ahead. Same with analog exposure controls. I also like to be able to see my settings at a glance when the camera is off. If one shoots in any sort of auto mode it doesn’t matter (you’d miss the exp comp dial) but if one shoots manual those dials are gold.

16 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Perhaps a suitable low profile cage with handle/grip on the side could help with handheld stabilisation? Helps me at least. Bulks it up a little I suppose which may not be your cup of tea....

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

AF was silent?

Zoom and focus ring were consistently smooth. Just the right amount of stiffness! As far as I was aware there was no noise.

9 hours ago, mkabi said:

@DaveAltizer Has his review of the X-H1 up.... although, I feel like 70% is about its photo capabilities?

Although, @DaveAltizer did a good job, even compared pictures from the 1DC with pictures of the X-H1. But where is the video to video comparison man?

BTW, my picks are A-B-B. His answer is buried in deep in the comments section, amongst other viewers picks.... very interesting.

Correct this is more of a photo review. We did a video specific review that’s coming soon. 

3 hours ago, Castorp said:

My 16-55 2.8 has the same resistance throughout the Zoom range. AF is very silent. Quieter than the small f2 primes. The 23 f2 is equally fast but not as accurate as the 16-55.

Regarding @DaveAltizer review. Pretty nice but think more attention could have been given to how workflow is affected by having the separate silent controls for video that overrides the physical controls and thereby stores all the settings. Made a video yesterday and frustrated how I have to go through all the picture settings on my X-Pro before hitting record. If only I could just flick one dial and have everything set up.

Further, I doubt vloggers make up “10-20%” of the market for high end cameras. A fully articulating screen is much slower and more frustrating to use for everyone, the vast majority, who is not taking pictures of themselves. One flick vs flick turn fiddle. And I very much dislike looking at a screen that’s off the camera’s center axis. All these reviewers of course benefit from a vlogger optimised camera, and they have loud voices through YouTube. It’s annoying how most of them review based mostly on their own needs. We get comments like “I don’t understand why one wouldn’t have an articulated screen”. It’s the difference between the new breed of reviewers and the old school professional reviewers.

And it rubs me the wrong way equating physical controls with “retro”. It’s no more retro than an analog watch face vs a digital watch face. I prefer an analog watch face because it shows me a sort of diagram of the day which makes it easier for me to plan and think ahead. Same with analog exposure controls. I also like to be able to see my settings at a glance when the camera is off. If one shoots in any sort of auto mode it doesn’t matter (you’d miss the exp comp dial) but if one shoots manual those dials are gold.

We did a video specific review coming soon but we didn’t go into detail about the silent controls too much unfortunately 

On 06/04/2018 at 5:44 PM, Vladimir said:

im sorry for posting here something really related to subject but here the thing:

thought i need to upgrade my cards for 200mbit/s, but tried old Sandisk extreme pro SDXCi U3 and its worked.

here's a proof and a little of ibis work, lens: konica 40/1.8 (x0,71sb): http://dropmefiles.com/CgBRV

Similar experience here in that some 'lesser' (slower write) cards than those officially recommended do work at the selected in camera 200mbit/s record rate, but in my case, only for a limited time which is often brought to an abrupt unplanned stop.

On an unrelated note, is it possible for rolling shutter to be reduced via firmware update do people think? Fairly poor performance in general is my finding, though I'd be interested to hear how others with authority discuss/rank the X-H1's performance.

2 hours ago, KitaCam said:

On an unrelated note, is it possible for rolling shutter to be reduced via firmware update do people think? 

it can be reduced by implementing vertical crop of a sensor or even more with 4:3 vertical crop and usage of anamorphic lens. i've tested prototype based on optics and it worked well. but i see no way to deliever such a message to fuji's development team.

3 hours ago, wa666ou said:

Tried out Acros profile and 50-140mm lens for video. Definitely need to practise IBIS and shooting video overall.

Really nice looking B&W. One of my favorite profiles Fuji has. Well done footage. Here is a nice article for Acros.

https://www.prophotonut.com/2016/02/21/acros-film-simulation-with-the-fuji-x-pro2/