Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I thought the test was well done and I don't believe he is biased in any way toward Sony. His review of the X-T2 was glowing, and he says he prefers the build quality of the X-H1. Show me the bias, and I'll listen.

From inaccuracy to the opposite there's a long way to go ;-)

As posted, he puts all his effort to rid of that. His Sony videos often pop up sooner than other devices he reviews. I don't think he's more biased than we all tend to be. Independence is hard to get. I much believe in the accuracy of Andrew's finds than the majority of the reviewers out there.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Honestly, this isn't about unrealistic expectations or wives or anything else  - it just isn't working very well.

And, I'll add, for a pretty expensive APS-C camera at that.

Yuryev's stuttering while panning is pretty similar to what I was getting, so I doubt its just my camera.

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Emanuel Please, just show me where Max Yuryev's test is biased. If you're going to dismiss someone's labors, at least have the decency to say where they've erred. 

This is my conclusion following his reviews from a good part now. I don't have here a comprehensive list of when and where I've arrived to that outcome. I don't see him as totally inaccurate. I still appreciate to enjoy his reviews and comparisons, no matter the pinch of salt I extract from his finds he always run to publish and spread.

I just don't see the world B&W there. To say it pretty straightforward, that's a principle I do try to apply to everything and everyone.

E :-)

And Max never said there were losers or winners either, to the best of my recollection. In fact, I thought he was quite positive. He said the stabilization while walking was superior to the a7 III and he found the AF quite good, if a little abrupt. I'm not sure what you're going on about black and white.

11 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

And, I'll add, for a pretty expensive APS-C camera at that.

Yuryev's stuttering while panning is pretty similar to what I was getting, so I doubt its just my camera.

Yes, following that, seems more a particular weakness from the device against other ones which perform better. 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

And Max never said there were losers or winners either, to the best of my recollection. In fact, I thought he was quite positive. He said the stabilization while walking was superior to the a7 III and he found the AF quite good, if a little abrupt. I'm not sure what you're going on about black and white.

Nothing related to color sampling nor bit depth for sure : D

As said, I still watch his videos. Just take them with a necessary pinch of salt :-)

There are shots where the stabilisation looks amazing, particularly walking shots. Where there is room for improvement seems to be the lateral behaviour of the stabiliser in regards to video. Very possible that it’s more optimised for photo than for video and needs further tuning. From what I’ve read people are very positive about the stabilisation in photo mode.

13 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Well, the more I've played with the camera the past few days, the more I'm liking it, in spite of my issues with the IBIS, so I think I'm gonna keep it and just hope for some future firmware improvements. And I may just turn off the stabilization in the meantime.

Does Andrew have some clairvoyant type knowledge of some future 'big' video related firmware update I wonder? Would make a lot of sense. My anticipation is that zebra's and/or false colour could come as well as general minor tweaks. Could there be limited record 4K 60p as well? Panning (in video) stabili(s)ation (hehe) tweaks perhaps, if this is even a confirmed issue or room for improvement.

The stabilisation is great, but really it's not at present walking about great in my view, especially coupled with let's say average rolling shutter performance. My experience is that it's great for what it is, careful and considered hand held shooting, though don't expect wonders if moving about much unless perhaps coupled with your gimbal of choice....

IBIS is not a replacement for a gimbal. YMMV depending on sensor size etc.. but generally it definitely works best when standing still to eliminate micro shakes. Sony even calls it's IBIS "steady shot". In such practice XH-1's IBIS does imo an excellent job. For stills, it's even better allowing sharp usable shots at sub 1/15 levels, allowing excellent low-light capabilities for still subjects (which kinda narrows the stop gap with A7III etc) .