Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

6 minutes ago, mkabi said:

@Brian WilliamsDid you set it to continuous shooting in the IBIS sub-menu?

Yeah, I did make sure it was on continuous.

And just to compare, I shot this, also with a 50mm-equivalent lens, on the GH5 handheld... JUST LOOKING at IBIS, it is way smoother (except maybe that Minions shot).

And thats it, I won't write anymore about this, I'm sure Andrew will come out with some footage any day now and it'll look great and I'll say "What the hell am I doing wrong?" 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, mkabi said:

It could be that you are not doing anything wrong and thats how it is....

Or... you might have lemon on your hands, may be take it back to the store and do an in-store comparison with another X-H1?

Ture, though the store is BHPhoto and on the other coast, I don't know any stores that sell the X-H1 here. Good suggestion though, I'll look around some more.

2 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

Ture, though the store is BHPhoto and on the other coast, I don't know any stores that sell the X-H1 here. Good suggestion though, I'll look around some more.

Hey man... it happens.... I checked out a local camera shop and I spoke to a rep.... a day or two after release, apparently someone returned their X-H1 due to hot pixels (and it was a pre-order too).

There are IBIS and IBIS... But something which puzzles me is the fact when we focus on the cons rather than the pros. We all know there's no perfect world out there, only on forums' wishful thinking lists :X

No one is also praising to see our neighbors to always pop up pointing the flaws of our children and be quiet about theirs, isn't it?

A bit of equity at least should be mandatory before any forum comment. BTW, no personal agendas of any kind and attacking the deepest bias of our own too...

• Super Members

Its better.....but the right hand side of the cabinet is going berserk at 0:37.

Have you got a non-native lens you can put on it to rule out additional lens and AF corrections it might be making at the same time?

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

A bit of equity at least should be mandatory before any forum comment. BTW, no personal agendas of any kind and attacking our own bias too...

Sure, and likewise, people should just say "yeah, the IBIS isn't that great", as opposed to "you need to fix your technique... there's no perfect camera... quit being such a downer".

If this was a sun blackspot in a Blackmagic camera, or overheating in an A6300, or IBIS panning issues in a G80 (later fixed by firmware), it would be recognized as a real issue.

I'm hoping Fuji pulls through, like they usually do, and offers a kickass firmware update at some point that improves things.

6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Thanks for posting though : ) BTW, have you checked your shutter?

Yeah, I'm shooting at 48 on the T dial.

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its better.....but the right hand side of the cabinet is going berserk at 0:37.

Have you got a non-native lens you can put on it to rule out additional lens and AF corrections it might be making at the same time?

No, I only have this 35mm. I'm pretty happy with AF, its not great in this test just because my office is so poorly lit I think.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Brian Williams said:

Sure, and likewise, people should just say "yeah, the IBIS isn't that great", as opposed to "you need to fix your technique... there's no perfect camera... quit being such a downer".

If this was a sun blackspot in a Blackmagic camera, or overheating in an A6300, or IBIS panning issues in a G80 (later fixed by firmware), it would be recognized as a real issue.

I'm hoping Fuji pulls through, like they usually do, and offers a kickass firmware update at some point that improves things.

I couldn't agree more with this.

I got accused of having 'real problems' a few pages back for actually trying to look at exactly what is going on with it.

From everything I've seen, the IBIS on this camera - even taking into account the sensor size - is a long way even from from being 'isn't that great'.

Its not about expecting miracles.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

No, I only have this 35mm. I'm pretty happy with AF, its not great in this test just because my office is so poorly lit I think.

No, its not necessarily about the AF performance per se just about conflicts with lens corrections combined with the ones it is making with IBIS.

Even trying it in MF might be worth a go.

12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I couldn't agree more with this.

I got accused of having 'real problems' a few pages back for actually trying to look at exactly what is going on with it.

From everything I've seen, the IBIS on this camera - even taking into account the sensor size - is a long way even from from being 'isn't that great'.

Its not about expecting miracles.

Yet seeing the tool as demanding on the way you have to approach to deal with it. It is like a marriage. We can't handle a 2nd wife like we did in our 1st round or we risk to still fail no matter our goodwill to work around the task. Workarounds have their own specs from their own. We don't invent them, we need to adapt them. Filmmaking is invariably a workaround, the tool is primary and secondary at the same time; never the shooter though (E :-)

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yet seeing the tool as demanding on the way you have to approach to deal with it. It is like a marriage. We can't handle a 2nd wife like we did in our 1st round or we risk to still fail no matter our goodwill to work around the task. Workarounds have their own specs from their own. We don't invent them, we need to adapt them. Filmmaking is invariably a workaround, the tool is primary and secondary at the same time; never the shooter though (E :-)

The workaround in this case as far as I can see thus far is to switch it off ;)

Honestly, this isn't about unrealistic expectations or wives or anything else  - it just isn't working very well.