Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

You're talking crap :)

I'm talking through my tears is what I'm doing. 

6 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

It is simply a trade off of sensor size. The smaller the sensor the easier it is to stabilize. So all things being equal with ibis - M43>APSC>FF.

Yes, this is true. The GH5 had such crap AF though. The E-M1ii, that's the one I think I'm missing, though the general lack of low light ability on m43 is what was nagging at me to upgrade sensor size, so I guess I'm damned either way.

All I know is I've been shooting the same way I shot with my GH5 and the stabilization seems not as good, for reasons given above I guess. I supposed the same reason the A6500 and A7series has been lacking in the same department. 

I love everything else though, that little screen at the top is pretty rad. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/31/2018 at 4:01 PM, Attila Bakos said:

Haha thanks, but it's a pain for me too, it would be so much easier if there was an anti-aliasing plugin for Resolve or Premiere. I couldn't find any, but I noticed that the avisynth community has some very skilled developers, and it's all free.

Resolve has anti aliasing support in the project settings tab

2 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Here is a quick test i just did with my 35f/2

The movement here is pretty typical of how I usually shoot, and I was doing my best to hold the camera steady. But it looks really jerky to me, i can't think of a better word to describe it.

That's bad (certainly un-deliverable).

You should try to improve your technique as well.

Irrelevant to cameras, I found standalone gimbals much preferable than IBIS and these days you can buy good ones for cheap (especially for a mirrorless camera and a prime lens). Long gone the days that the absolute minimum was the big Ronin!

Also, you can cut! 3 tripod shots of the kitchen and 3 detail shots should be enough to describe the whole place, and it looks more professional than walking around (even with gimbal/ibis/dis/ois all together).

18 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

And how exactly is that related to the problem we have with 120p slowmo?

Was it supposed to be ? Sheesh. You asked for an anti aliasing and I lead you to the feature. If the 120p isn’t good enough for resolves anti aliasing then Im afraid you either have to look for an alternative or avoid the 120p feature altogether. Every camera has its flaws.

41 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

That's bad (certainly un-deliverable).

You should try to improve your technique as well.

Irrelevant to cameras, I found standalone gimbals much preferable than IBIS and these days you can buy good ones for cheap (especially for a mirrorless camera and a prime lens). Long gone the days that the absolute minimum was the big Ronin!

Also, you can cut! 3 tripod shots of the kitchen and 3 detail shots should be enough to describe the whole place, and it looks more professional than walking around (even with gimbal/ibis/dis/ois all together).

Ok, yes, like I said, this was a quick test of the IBIS. I'm not sure what techniques I should be improving, a shot like this would look pretty damn steady with the GH5. And again, I understand the reason is the smaller sensor equal better IBIS, I understand that there are trade-offs between the cameras. I'm not here to bash the X-H1, I love everything else about it. I'm just demonstrating how good (or bad) it is at stabilizing.

But its not my technique here that is making the shot look so shitty.

Also, I don't want to put my camera on a tripod! I don't want to have to cut shots, I'm not shooting a short film here, I'm shooting home videos. Saying I should try putting the camera on a tripod is like if we were having a conversation about a camera's low-light performance and you said "You should just add more lights". Thats not really the point of the conversation.

I have owned gimbals before, and yes, of course they are way better, but they suck to take along when you are going out for the day with your kids (which is the type of thing I'm shooting). My Osmo Mobile 2 arrives today actually, that is about as big as I'm willing to go gimbal wise at this point.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Was it supposed to be ? Sheesh. You asked for an anti aliasing and I lead you to the feature. If the 120p isn’t good enough for resolves anti aliasing then Im afraid you either have to look for an alternative or avoid the 120p feature altogether. Every camera has its flaws.

Yes it all started with a comparison I made, where I tried to do anti-aliasing on a heavily aliased X-H1 120p footage. I did it in avisynth since Resolve has nothing that can help here. The feature you recommended does nothing when you post your 1080p120 footage to an 1080p timeline. It only helps when your footage's resolution does not match timeline resolution, that whole section in the project settings page is for scaling only.

Speaking of aliasing, could any XH1 user check the IQ with DCI 2K (FHD 17:9)? On XT2 FHD has pixel binning artifacts but from my small time with XH1 it seemed to fair better in DCI 2K mode. This would be interesting to me as there is no crop in FHD.