Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

On 3/22/2018 at 4:53 AM, Andrew Reid said:

It's insane. I actually think it might even be better than Oly/Pana. Steady handheld shots are almost completely locked-down as if on a tripod. Even walking glides are perfectly doable. Slider-style moves with your arm come out well.

This is one area where it is FAR superior to the Sony cameras, and it has a larger sensor than GH5 yet possibly even better 5 axis.... THAT is unique.

Andrew, this camera is arriving to my house on Monday, but the more footage I see online of the Fuji's IBIS, the more worried I am getting. I sold my GH5 to get this, and having owned both the GH5 and the E-M1 ii and their amazing stabilization, would you really say the Fuji is on par, or even better, that those two? I've just seen so many videos where it seems so jerky. Yes, in every video it blows away every IBIS Sony, but still worrisome in its ungracefulness.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:53 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I dare say the AF is better than the GH5 too, though not as good as A7 III / A7R III.

I also don't understand this, as, again having just sold my GH5, the GH5 AF pretty much stinks compared to all of its competitors. The E-M1ii was fantastic for AF, the Sony's are pretty fantastic. The X-T2 was on par with the A6XX. I'm just suprised to see you say "I dare say", considering I've read things saying that the X-H1 has the best AF of any APS-C camera. So I'm not questioning your judgement here, just why do you think the GH5 AF (or any Panny really) was hard to beat?

I've bought way too many cameras based on your reviews, so please don't take any of this the wrong way, I trust your words otherwise.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why would you buy a new camera based on what somebody on the internet says? Even if that person is well known. It would necessitate that the advisor knew your practice intimately in order to give good advice and even then I’d say it’s hard. Internet advice often only leads to decisions made purely on paper specs which doesn’t make sense.

Any camera can be the best for a specific context. There is no best camera. 

11 hours ago, anonim said:

This video concludes some clue of my thinking about "color science"... isn't it actually some sort of predefined color grading? Above of all questions about Fuji I was/am interested (of course) in phenomenon of its unique color. So, after inspecting samples, I think that, roughly speaking, there's always some color amplification/saturation precisely at the areas of color and tones around spectre of lighter complexion skin - and, proportionally, muted color in darker or equally precisely predefined color-oposite areas... That's make impression of pop-ing humans from background - as it were always made secondary corrections involving just that areas of color... When in the scene there's no similar distribution of tonal contrast, for my eye at least Fuji lose its distinctive uniqueness of "look" - to the level that low light scene are least distinguishable from comparative shots of other cameras... Especially in this example, it could be nicely seen (I think) because of many changing light conditions where "secondary-corecting-favorized" area disapeared. Moreover, here we have competing area of similar or identical color in background, so pop-ing impression is lowered... In a word: I came to (maybe interesting or bizarre) conclusion - that Fuji's subtle-contrasting color science is tempered as with the role-model of some prominent Pre-Raphaelite painters in mind, with similar technique used for making impression of slightly inner illumination: Edward Burn Jones before all...

this is all a moot point as that video was shot in F-Log and (heavily) graded in DaVinci.. so nothing 'Fuji' really about these colors..

interesting to note though the guy had some issues while grading:

One big problem I found was in post production. I edited and graded everything in DaVinci Resolve, but when I exported the final file I noticed a green cast on it. I tried to play around with every single setting, but nothing. I ended up creating a timeline node with a magenta tint at 13. Not sure why this happened, but maybe DaVinci doesn't completely support F-Log just yet.

this seems to echo what a user reported here on XT2 Flog footage. i wonder if the low bitrate of the 120fps makes for cast issues when grading in post..?

A slo-mo test with Samyang 14mm. F-log.  Takes time to learn to hold steady shot from walking. Quicktime export, not sooc.

Normal walking. F-log SOOC. When making sudden moves with camera, it can't compensate, but I think that's normal. Even gimbals do that.

7 hours ago, Castorp said:

Why would you buy a new camera based on what somebody on the internet says? Even if that person is well known. It would necessitate that the advisor knew your practice intimately in order to give good advice and even then I’d say it’s hard. Internet advice often only leads to decisions made purely on paper specs which doesn’t make sense.

Any camera can be the best for a specific context. There is no best camera. 

Maybe because there is no way I can try out the camera without buying it first- this is not a camera you will find at your local Best Buy- which necessitates me having to read other people's opinions of the camera online and basing my decision on that. Once I get the camera, and have a chance to use it myself, then I can make my own decision. But I have to have something to go by in order to make the decision to buy it in the first place.

And I'm not asking anyone "whats the best camera for me?", I'm asking about a specific feature of the camera and how well it works because these people have had a chance to use the camera. Why would you even come to a site like this if you don't give two shits what anyone else thinks, especially people with more experience??

4 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Maybe because there is no way I can try out the camera without buying it first- this is not a camera you will find at your local Best Buy- which necessitates me having to read other people's opinions of the camera online and basing my decision on that. Once I get the camera, and have a chance to use it myself, then I can make my own decision. But I have to have something to go by in order to make the decision to buy it in the first place.

And I'm not asking anyone "whats the best camera for me?", I'm asking about a specific feature of the camera and how well it works because these people have had a chance to use the camera. Why would you even come to a site like this if you don't give two shits what anyone else thinks, especially people with more experience??

I didn't mean to say that nobody should care about what anyone else thinks. I think reading opinions about new functions and technologies are as interesting as the next guy. Idk, I' I have never and will never buy a camera I haven't held in my hands first. Happy to hear you don't need to. Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the X-H1. Looks like a great camera to me! 

20 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Just for you.

1'10"-1'13" .. can you see the weird flickering in the branches of the tree?

I have also apreciated some jerky footage in many X H1 reviews, like this one from the Fujiguys:

I just pick this video because it looks like the Fujiguys knows well what they are doing, but maybe they are just using an extremely high shutter speed.. what do you think?

I was experimenting with a few anti-aliasing scripts in avisynth to see if I could clean up moiré & aliasing in X-H1 120p footage. It's not perfect but it makes the footage more usable. Download a comparison from here: DOWNLOAD

On the left you see footage recorded in 120p F-Log (provided by Fenchel & Janisch), with my Classic Chrome LUT + a bit of contrast applied.
On the right you see the same color correction with additional anti-aliasing, temporal noise reduction and post sharpening.

Check the top of the bridge, less aliasing there. Also, the background buildings show less moiré. With more optimization the results can be even better.
The only downside of using avisynth is, well, avisynth itself. It's geeky stuff, not suited for everyone.

17 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

It's geeky stuff, not suited for everyone.

LoL that would be a understatement from Hell.  :grimace:

Seems to me on some shots it does look better and some the same. But yeah it is an improvement, and you can't take sort of bad footage look perfect. You deserve a Big thumbs up just for knowing how to Use avisynth! I gave up pretty quick. I would be dead from old age before I figured it out.

17 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

LoL that would be a understatement from Hell.  :grimace:

Seems to me on some shots it does look better and some the same. But yeah it is an improvement, and you can't take sort of bad footage look perfect. You deserve a Big thumbs up just for knowing how to Use avisynth! I gave up pretty quick. I would be dead from old age before I figured it out.

Haha thanks, but it's a pain for me too, it would be so much easier if there was an anti-aliasing plugin for Resolve or Premiere. I couldn't find any, but I noticed that the avisynth community has some very skilled developers, and it's all free.

14 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Haha thanks, but it's a pain for me too, it would be so much easier if there was an anti-aliasing plugin for Resolve or Premiere. I couldn't find any, but I noticed that the avisynth community has some very skilled developers, and it's all free.

Have you ever tried  Neat Video? I have found it does help with anti-aliasing some. It is not it main goal, but it seems to make about anything look better. I admit it can make some stuff too good if you are looking for a filmic look! But you can adjust it to your liking.

No plug in for Resolve though.

https://www.neatvideo.com/home

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Have you ever tried  Neat Video? I have found it does help with anti-aliasing some. It is not it main goal, but it seems to make about anything look better.

https://www.neatvideo.com/home

Yes I tried it on this footage but avisynth fixed aliasing much better. For noise it's king though.

I got my X-H1 today, I have to say, from a stabilization standpoint, I'm pretty disappointed. Having just come from the GH5 and the E-M1ii before that, Fuji's IBIS is so lacking. It works great for a second, then jerky for a second, then its trying to catch up to your pan, it's all over the place. I'll do some more testing tomorrow. If I thought the A7iii's ibis would be ok (I know it won't), this would be so much easier.

18 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

I got my X-H1 today, I have to say, from a stabilization standpoint, I'm pretty disappointed. Having just come from the GH5 and the E-M1ii before that, Fuji's IBIS is so lacking. It works great for a second, then jerky for a second, then its trying to catch up to your pan, it's all over the place. I'll do some more testing tomorrow. If I thought the A7iii's ibis would be ok (I know it won't), this would be so much easier.

It is simply a trade off of sensor size. The smaller the sensor the easier it is to stabilize. So all things being equal with ibis - M43>APSC>FF.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

You're talking crap :)