Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

My theory is that its stills and video modes are so distinct code wise that it is effectively almost like a reboot when you switch, hence why it has to be a physical control.

Doubt it since the Pro2 doesn't need to switch drive. the X100f does but not with a physical button.
But mostly because the camera most likely doesn't have any true mechanical switches. All cameras I know these days needs the battery pulled when they freeze for one reason or another. If the power switch actually was a powers switch that wouldn't be the case.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
4 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Doubt it since the Pro2 doesn't need to switch drive. the X100f does but not with a physical button.
But mostly because the camera most likely doesn't have any true mechanical switches. All cameras I know these days needs the battery pulled when they freeze for one reason or another. If the power switch actually was a powers switch that wouldn't be the case.

Aha..cheers for the info.

I meant physical control to keep them distinct from a user perspective and separate the change from one mode to the other.

As I understood it though, the X-Pro2 is only a subset video wise of the X-T2 and doesn't quite require the same overhead?

Does it only allow 720p recording when using the app too ? 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Aha..cheers for the info.

I meant physical control to keep them distinct from a user perspective and separate the change from one mode to the other.

As I understood it though, the X-Pro2 is only a subset video wise of the X-T2 and doesn't quite require the same overhead?

Does it only allow 720p recording when using the app too ? 

Ahh, then I get you.
The X-Pro2 video is fantastic, but I don't know hoe it technically differ to the XT2- Had both, minimal difference when using imo.

12 hours ago, kye said:

Nice footage.

If you get a chance it would be interesting to see the quality if you exported and uploaded this in 4K/UHD to YouTube.  I've done tests and found that YT compression is far less brutal on 4K.

I see lots of compression artefacts but it's hard to know what is the camera and what is YT.

If you don't have time then no worries - thanks for sharing!

That's an interesting question. The original file definitely looks better than the 1080 version on youtube, and I have heard that if you upload a video in 4k, YouTube will show a much higher bitrate version, but I think that's only if you watch the 4k resolution on YT.

I did a 4k export and uploaded it - you can see it here:

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I just bought the X-H1 in Barcelona whilst I'm taking a break, and I am more impressed with it so far than I thought I would be.

I'd say it is a genuine alternative to the GH5 and A7 III, given the similar prices of all 3.

It does things the Panasonic and Sony don't do as well, or differently enough to make you have a strong personal preference for one or the other.

First of all, the small things... You can assign 1/48 shutter for 180 deg to "T" on the shutter mode dial. Instantly go from auto to 1/48 in the blink of an eye. Very useful.

The e-ink top-display is very useful and something the GH5 and Sonys lack!

One of the bigger things is the quality of the stabilisation.

It's insane. I actually think it might even be better than Oly/Pana. Steady handheld shots are almost completely locked-down as if on a tripod. Even walking glides are perfectly doable. Slider-style moves with your arm come out well.

This is one area where it is FAR superior to the Sony cameras, and it has a larger sensor than GH5 yet possibly even better 5 axis.... THAT is unique.

F-LOG and Eterna seem superb... I am not missing 10bit. Skintones, codec, all very good especially at 200Mbit which is insanely high for an IPB codec. Would be nice to have an ALL-I option but I have a feeling Fuji will do a BIG firmware update in future.

The EVF I think is superior to the Panasonic and Sony side.

I dare say the AF is better than the GH5 too, though not as good as A7 III / A7R III.

The tiny Fuji primes are wonderful, esp. 23mm F2 WR and the 35mm F1.4.

It is very responsive... recording start / stop doesn't have any lag or weirdness.

I still dislike that movie-mode is on the drive mode lever, it should be a single button press to toggle between movie and stills mode. Firmware?

Stills side is stronger than GH5. The mechanical shutter is the best I have ever had in anything. So quiet and dampened. Mega satisfying! Of course, larger sensor than GH5 and better JPEG colours (Fuji film simulations).

I wish the further X-T2 style crop in 4K was not a thing... but it's no biggie, and there's Speed Booster for X-Mount.

I wish the quality of the 1080/120fps was a little better... but it's a very nice creative tool. Plus you can access it instantly through a func. button.

On paper, A7 III and GH5 are better.

In reality.... it's game on.

The movie mode switch drives me nuts too. I would happily swap the exposure comp button for a record button. Or just a custom setting on the dial where you could have it all setup, flip the switch and you're in video mode, 4k with the 1/48 SS and so on. Looking forward to more tests.

Chris

6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Probably more like this if they'd set the DR to 200 though...

;)

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-8.gif

lol... dedicated focus pullers from back when were like onboard AF nowadays...

How times have changed ;)

Can we recapture the magic with bad AF? I mean, look at the box-office on that movie - $270M

4 hours ago, m43forme said:

Actually, if you upload in 4k, you get into a higher 1080p bitrate tier as well. I can confirm this to be the case with a number of my videos.

That's good to know - thanks! Looks like I'll be exporting everything in 4k now whether the source material is shot in it or not.

13 minutes ago, brianwahl said:

That's good to know - thanks! Looks like I'll be exporting everything in 4k now whether the source material is shot in it or not.

Yeah, it's a pain for me because I post about 2 hours worth of content every week during football season (and it's just a hobby). Editing all that in 4k and uploading it is no joke. But the difference is stark. 

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Can we recapture the magic with bad AF? I mean, look at the box-office on that movie - $270M

I remember going to see them in packed smoke filled cinemas and the atmosphere was better than a hell of a lot of real title fights I've worked at.

Hard to recapture that sort of magic on Netflix in your own house irrespective of the convenience of it.

Quote from review, 'Try going back and forth like that during a fast pace photo/video shoot = lost shots'; Why would you do video during a photo shoot - one or other. It seems Photographers lose out to 'video' footage needs. Pls bring back the emphasis to photography and the camera, give stills people some chance. Yes I know, it's all about video now. How many people watch/save video from  a camera, when they can do it on their mobile phone. New book...Mobile Phones and the death of photography, there you go! Me, Long live good old stills Photography - from the heart.  

_DSC9269e1noisegone_2.jpg