Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

47 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Low light sensitivity, shallower depth of field and AF ability are the three chief reasons why I would consider switching over to a larger sensor camera, so the AF-C tests interest me greatly.

Yeah but you can buy a Sony A7xxx camera and shoot FF or crop mode, s35. Best of both worlds. I really can't see a reason to actually buy a APSC only camera. Not even going the Speedbooster route with one. That way you can take advantage of both kinds of Native lenses. The low light on them is pretty scary good, as is the AF on the later ones, FF DoF. Win, Win, Win, Win. There is just no FF roadmap with the Fuji. Not the end of the world, but not great either.

I am not too sure they even make a Speedbooster for a Fuji do they? If so why not?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I think it's still a 1.17X crop. So not even APS-C.

That is really not too bad of a crop. Canon owners should be so lucky! :grin: I think the crazy thing I read about with a certain Speedbooster on the Panny GH5s you can get to almost a FF mode. That is impressive if I read that right. Not sure what mode though, 1080p, 2k, 4k, all? I read so damn much I can't keep up with it all. One of the benefits of being retired, one of the very few other than being able to sleep in every day!!

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but you can buy a Sony A7xxx camera and shoot FF or crop mode, s35. Best of both worlds. I really can't see a reason to actually buy a APSC only camera. Not even going the Speedbooster route with one. That way you can take advantage of both kinds of Native lenses. The low light on them is pretty scary good, as is the AF on the later ones, FF DoF. Win, Win, Win, Win. There is just no FF roadmap with the Fuji. Not the end of the world, but not great either.

I am not too sure they even make a Speedbooster for a Fuji do they? If so why not?

Yes of course Metabones & Kipon make 0.71x speedboosters for Fuji X mount giving you FF in 4K. Kipon even just released a smart adapter for Canon EF: 

https://www.fujirumors.com/kipon-announces-3-canon-ef-fujifilm-fx-gfx-autofocus-adapters/

As for "no FF roadmap with the Fuji".. well Fuji just released a FF camera last week via firmware update:

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-gfx-50s-firmware-update-ver-3-00-released/;)

15 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@brianwahl I’ve been using it as an A cam because I really like the look the focal reducers add to the a6500 image. That and the 6K to 4K image was a big win for me. I was hoping the fuji would blow the a6500 out the water in image quality but it looks like sony is still on top

The X-H1 (and X-T2) also does the 6K to 4K thing, so you get the same type of resolution with their 4K video as you do with the Sony bodies that do that. For me if it's between an X-H1 and an a6500, I'd take the X-H1 all day long, but it's a lot more money.

I'm trying to decide between using the Fuji system vs Sony full frame (a7 iii, a9, etc). At this point I think Fuji is winning, and it's 100% based on color.

At this point the quality of the final product rests solely on the person behind the camera. Pick you brand - Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, etc - every single brand makes cameras and lenses that can produce incredible video (and stills). They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and they all will require you to adapt them to your workflow (or adapt your workflow to them). To me it's about picking what strengths and weaknesses are most/least important to me and what best fits the way I work.

Color is such a huge factor for me - I'm discovering it may be the most important factor, actually - assuming a camera can do the basics right. And when it comes to color, nobody can beat Fuji, in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Fuji just dropped an Eterna lut for FLOG. Wow. Safe to say they are kinda serious about this video thing ? I smell a gh5 like major firmware update if this thing keeps up the pace in sales

Yeah I think they released that along with the X-H1, and I've seen some people use it with great results. I haven't tested that yet, but I'd like to soon.

I actually used to use Blackmagic cameras. I had some Studio 4k cameras and then the Ursa Mini 4.6k. I shot with the film/log profile, but lately I'd rather just get good colors out of the body - log is often more work than it's worth, personally.

@BTM_Pix lmaaaaao if anyone is still listening to that scam artist they need to go drink bleach 

@brianwahl you have me on the fence about getting rid of my a6500 cause LOG can be problematic. What’s really making me stick around with Sony is its compatibility with ACES which imo takes SLOG to another level. I hope Fuji gets ACES support for FLOG ! Otherwise the X-H1 is looking like the ideal SOOC solution for quick turnover times. The X-h1 would save me so much time and $ doing postproduction work for clients

Went out and shot some more footage today with the X-H1 around 4pm, hoping to see what kind of dynamic range testing I could do. It was overcast, but the sun was still pretty bright in the sky.

All of these shots were using the Eterna film simulation, and almost all at either 60p or 120p, slowed down to 24p in post. I graded this in Resolve and just added contrast and saturation, with slight white balance adjustments as I saw necessary. It wasn't this vibrant in real life (it was a gray day), but I wanted to see what it looked like when I pushed saturation.

YouTube definitely makes this footage look mushier than it did when I was editing it.

Decent review from the man himself. Good work. Covered a lot of ground there in terms of capabilities and current drawbacks. This should be very useful in terms of giving huge exposure to the current FW state of play (forgivable issues?), which can only increase the likelihood for firmware refinement. Excellent. Still, make no mistake, in current guise the camera is a beast and a joy (mostly) to use with the feel of a solid professional tool.

For those who may still be in the market for a (discounted at present) cage despite internal F-Log etc.

With Battery Grip:

http://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-cage-for-fujifilm-x-h1-camera-with-battery-grip-2124.html

Without Battery Grip:

http://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-fujifilm-x-h1-camera-cage-2123.html

On 3/19/2018 at 1:52 PM, Django said:

Yes of course Metabones & Kipon make 0.71x speedboosters for Fuji X mount giving you FF in 4K. Kipon even just released a smart adapter for Canon EF: 

https://www.fujirumors.com/kipon-announces-3-canon-ef-fujifilm-fx-gfx-autofocus-adapters/

I still struggle with the concept of large (and quite expensive) cameras with small sensors then offering fairly expensive adapters (speedboosters) to emulate FF. Why not simply buy a FF camera in the first place. If a smaller sensor camera doesnt offer an advantage in terms of 'size' (actually being smaller) or 'price' what exactly is the point?

Admittedly it does make some sense for Panasonic in video as they offer 10bit, high bit rates and 4k 60p which the FF companies havent really shown is possible in FF but I do think it is only a matter of time. The industry, I think, is trending to FF.