Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

7 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

You could have mitigated the blown out sky by not backlighting your subject matter. Had you simply turned 90° or 180° you  (or had a bounce board) could have brought down your overall exposure and you wouldn't have had such a high contrast ratio. You had golden hour working to your advantage but didn't utilize it. 

You have to be more selective with your staging when working with cameras that have limited dynamic range. It's about knowing your tools and how best to use them, instead of trying to force them to do something they weren't designed to do and then blaming it. 

Please note: I'm using you and this post as a springboard for a teachable moment. 

Yeah I knew the highlights would be blown - this was just a casual test. Full sun in the background while the subject is in shadow is rough...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Since I'm trying to evaluate whether I want to sell all my Sony gear for a Fuji setup, I've been taking a lot of photo/video over the past two weeks (I rented the X-H1 first, then just bought one with the idea that I'd have 30 days to return it).

So here are a few clips at various settings and conditions. I'll try to remember what I did for each of these. Sorry the subject matter is almost exclusively my son, but he makes for a good test subject. I'll note the appropriate settings above each video. All these videos are using autofocus. Also, everything here is hand-held using IBIS as the 16-55 does not have IS.

The main work I do is in a much more controlled setting, so I can make most any camera with decent image quality work for that (you can see what I do here - YouTube). I also take a ton of candid home-video type stuff, and I don't have the time really to grade each piece of footage I take. A big factor for me is having a camera that looks very good with minimal effort.

Astia Film Simulation, AWB, Light grade
This is pretty much how Astia looks right out of the camera. I used auto ISO here to see how it would do. Also tried zooming a bit here and there with the 16-55. It actually keeps focus if you don't go crazy with zooms. Nothing at all like the a9 with the 24-70 f/2.8 GM. That thing locks focus and keeps it through the entire zoom range.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eterna Film Simulation, AWB
I graded this to add contrast & saturation, but didn't change color much. It's a tough scene with bright back light (from the door), and I wanted to see how the camera would handle it. The very last shot in this video was with the Sony a9 using the Natural picture setting, and I graded it to match the Fuji footage. There is some 60fps footage in here as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eterna Film Simulation, AWB
Again, a pretty tough lighting situation with a lot of back light. This is a very light grade - bit of contrast added back in. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Various Film Simulations, AWB
Here I wanted to see how easily I could match different film simulations, and if they had different effects on overall color. I honestly can't remember which ones I used here, but I tried to make them all look roughly the same. I realize this is not something you'd typically do, but I was curious. I also stabilized some of these clips in Resolve to see how well it worked. I'd say in some it didn't work that well, ha.

9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I did not take this, my son seems to have commandeered my A7s LoL. But this is the color and look I like. I know it is not a Fuji, it is a A7s. That is the reason I bought one. My different strokes.

I used an a7S ii as my main camera for a long time. For me, any shot that didn't have people in it looked great, but I could never get the skin tones to look how I wanted them. That camera is pretty incredible when it comes to low light, though. It can see in the dark.

Also as a comparison to the X-H1 footage, here's something I did recently with the Sony a9, which is great for video, despite it's lack of picture profiles. No skin tones in here, though, and this is much more heavily graded. Also - ignore the random bits of Mavic Pro footage :)

38 minutes ago, brianwahl said:

I used an a7S ii as my main camera for a long time. For me, any shot that didn't have people in it looked great, but I could never get the skin tones to look how I wanted them. That camera is pretty incredible when it comes to low light, though. It can see in the dark.

I don't really like the A7sII very much. They sort of made it too good looking LoL. Doubt I would ever buy one. I like the grungy look. The 3 videos you have above are super nice looking. But to me not Filmic, Cine looking.

But it is stuff you really should shoot to document your children, cat LoL, your family. You sort of have an obligation to do that. And that is the look you want to keep down the road forever for them.. That is what they really look like. So I think what you have is perfect to do that.

But it is not what I like. It is too good in a way for what I like. But I grew up in a different time, and I like what I remember when I was probably your age. And it was not clean, and perfect, it was Grundy to say the least. The movies I went to did not look 4k. They had grain out the butt. Photos had grain out the butt. But it is was the best there was at the time. And I still like that look.

And now you will like this new look, and it will be yours to remember. And there is nothing wrong with that. We all have our thing as they say. And you did good on those videos. Some of the best I have seen for real life stuff. Grats.

53 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

You have to be more selective with your staging when working with cameras that have limited dynamic range. It's about knowing your tools and how best to use them, instead of trying to force them to do something they weren't designed to do and then blaming it.  

This my friend should be in the filmmaking bible. It doesn’t get any realer than that.

Once you work within the limitations of a camera the results are magic.

41 minutes ago, brianwahl said:

Also as a comparison to the X-H1 footage, here's something I did recently with the Sony a9, which is great for video, despite it's lack of picture profiles. No skin tones in here, though, and this is much more heavily graded. Also - ignore the random bits of Mavic Pro footage :)

Wow you have a lot of toys. Can I adopt you? Also you need to trim your beard if that happens LoL. Well done. Been nice to had a A, B comparison with the X-H1. I wonder if F Log is up to par with the S log on the Sony.

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow you have a lot of toys. Can I adopt you? Also you need to trim your beard if that happens LoL. Well done. Been nice to had a A, B comparison with the X-H1. I wonder if F Log is up to par with the S log on the Sony.

Ha! Well I'm the guy without the huge beard :). The drone was a rental just for that trip where we did some video work with a few other companies. And I definitely can't keep both the X-H1 and the a9 - one of them has to go within a month. I do need two cameras for a lot of the work I do, so having two X-H1's would be a nice bonus rather than matching the a6500 and the a9 all the time.

2 minutes ago, brianwahl said:

Ha! Well I'm the guy without the huge beard :). The drone was a rental just for that trip where we did some video work with a few other companies. And I definitely can't keep both the X-H1 and the a9 - one of them has to go within a month. I do need two cameras for a lot of the work I do, so having two X-H1's would be a nice bonus rather than matching the a6500 and the a9 all the time.

Ehh you have a Child with Red Hair! No I won't ask LoL.

7 minutes ago, brianwahl said:

Ha well his hair is more brown than red (depending on how the sun hits it I suppose), and it's identical to my wife's. The more he inherits from my wife the better :).

Ahh so the Fuji is Not realistic. Hmm. Bummer. The first video you have he is VERY red headed! We have been deceived. Damn Fuji color profiles LoL!

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The kids just look too red to me. But you are right different strokes. It just seems to me Fuji has taken a wrong turn from back in the days of the Fuji Finepix S2 Pro. Now that was color. This new one looks Digital as hell. But to me after the went from CCD sensors they all went down hill. The Original Olympus E1 was just beautiful also, and it was just like 5.1 MP. Very few new cameras other than Canon, have looked very good to me now. Well the Nikon D750 is great color wise. I guess it is their softness and CS that makes it happen with the Canon's..

Now my A7s is just funky looking to be honest, but I like it. So like you said, different strokes.

I wish I could get my hands on this stuff so I can experiment ! I know nothing about ccd cameras but I love the lo-fi look !

19 minutes ago, brianwahl said:

Are you leaning towards the a6500 or the fuji ?

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

@brianwahl I’ve been using it as an A cam because I really like the look the focal reducers add to the a6500 image. That and the 6K to 4K image was a big win for me. I was hoping the fuji would blow the a6500 out the water in image quality but it looks like sony is still on top

Well it is pretty hard to beat 4k output from a A6500. Just about the best there is. Now the 1080, well not as good, too soft, but 4k, finger licking good!

But I don't care what camera you have today, they all have their good points, bad points. If you like camera A that is the one for you, Camera B that is the one for me, on and on. We live right now in the best time there has Ever been for video cameras the average person can afford that was just a dream 3, 4 years ago. Maybe they were good then, and now they are cheap, and now good, no great ones are coming out left and right. Lucky us to be in this time frame.