Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

On 12/03/2018 at 6:58 PM, KitaCam said:

BTW you can't use ISO < 800 with Eterna as per using Flog.

Apologies, I should have said that this is the only the case when the DR400 option is selected. With DR200 it's ISO 400 min and DR100 it's ISO 200 min.

20 hours ago, jonpais said:

When waving a hand in front of the EVF, the external monitor/recorder blacks out

I'm not experiencing this phenomena when recording. I do see this when the EVF sensor is activated and before activating record though.

Touch screen mode is set to AF. Camera is in manual focus mode. When tapping twice on the LCD screen (Or turning the lens focus ring), the picture will be zoomed in for easier focusing judgment (which is fine) BUT, when tapping on the LCD on a point to focus, the camera will start recording instead of focusing

This is as you say. However, whilst a single tap on the screen activates record when already zoomed in via previous double tap (intentionally like this perhaps?), another double tap reverts back to the full (non zoomed) view and recording is not activated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In manual focus mode. When in stand-by mode, turning the lens focus ring. The picture will “jump in” for easier focusing judgment BUT it will NOT “jump out” for the actual framing when pressing the record button. The same applies when already recording. Touch the focus ring, picture will zoom-in, but will stay like this and won’t go back to the original framing after a second or two

Can confirm that when pressing the record button, having already zoomed in, the full view (jump out) is not shown. However, the double tap before pressing record solves this. Also if you press record whilst remaining zoomed in, you can jump back out (whilst still recording) by either double tapping or pushing in the rear horizontally rotating dial.

The overall picture size and menu layout structure in the EVF will change when switching between the manual focus mode and one of the other autofocus modes. Very distracting

I'm not experiencing this phenomena. Switching using the small (M/C/S) dial on from of body when and when not recording.

Audio monitoring is somehow distorted with the headphones I used

When monitoring via the battery grip with and without an external microphone (Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro) I can confirm that there is an apparent distortion issue when monitoring using a set of pricey Bose QC35 headphones. However, the budget Sony ZX110NA headset comes through this test with flying colours, no distortion issue that I can experience. Good news.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Name calling and personal attacks are the tactics of last resort employed by pathetic little fanboys with no moral character or reasoning ability.

Your aggression and unpleasantness is starting to seriously impact the enjoyment that others derive from this forum. You derail thread after thread with your deeply insulting scattergun imprecations. We get that you don't like what Fuji have done with their new camera and we get that you don't like Mattias. So why don't you do the adult thing and leave both this thread and his posts well alone.

Edit: for the avoidance of doubt, I'll be using the ignore feature from now on. I shouldn't have to do that, in a generally respectful forum.

21 hours ago, jonpais said:

At times, when external microphone is used, when adjusting the audio menu to “Off”, audio can still be heard

I'm not experiencing this, though I have also not tested in a full range of situations.

I sense there may be some issues (i.e. no audio being monitored) that could be caused by repeated plugging in and unplugging an external microphone, but perhaps nothing a quick on/off of the camera wouldn't solve.

@Mattias Burling Regarding your comparison, there's also a possibility that your NLE interpreted the X-T20 footage as video range. In this case switch it to full range manually, and see if that makes a difference. Check the Shadow & Highlight tones part in this review: link That's the difference you want to see in video mode. But this is pretty much offtopic here, we can continue in PM if you want to.

21 hours ago, jonpais said:

At times, when external microphone is used, when adjusting the audio levels, sound can be cut off, become muted and camera will freeze

I can confirm that this is one area that it seems Fuji may need to do some FW work. When adjusting external microphone audio levels (in camera), my experience is that audio monitoring is cut-off entirely. Unplugging and replugging the mic jack seems to solve this. I've not experienced muting or camera freeze yet.

2 hours ago, Aussie Ash said:

One guy wanted a discount on a new camera if they would disable the video features !

I've read that too, many times! Crazy

What they don't realise is: good video = sells more cameras. 

More cameras sold = more cameras to spread fixed costs over. 

Lower fixed costs = lower priced cameras for everyone! (including "pure" photographers)

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Attila Bakos said:

@Mattias Burling Regarding your comparison, there's also a possibility that your NLE interpreted the X-T20 footage as video range. In this case switch it to full range manually, and see if that makes a difference. Check the Shadow & Highlight tones part in this review: link That's the difference you want to see in video mode. But this is pretty much offtopic here, we can continue in PM if you want to.

I will take a look later and see what I can figure out.

Ive quickly eyed the article and one thing stood out to me,
"These tone controls are not that easily replicated in Adobe Camera Raw, or lightroom using the shadow and highlight  sliders and they look subtly different."

Im can't agree to that but guess its again depending on the user and their experience and definition of "easy".

Its not as of topic as other parts of the thread but I will PM if I find something out or have further questions.

Can someone advice on a quick method for uploading sample slow motion footage other than linking to YT or Vimeo etc. I've tried the direct upload here but failed with a file < 200MB. Perhaps there's a file size limit here? Cheers..

11 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Of course they are all flawed, so you pick your battles, but I don't expect that anyone will fix the issues I have with the camera, which can be fixed,  if they haven't bothered to fix them upon initial release, or if they haven't bothered to add them on release.

No one has assured us that the XH1's af will be fixed. 

They just seem incompetent releasing something that performs worse than their prior model. Firmware update or no - get it right the first time and there won't be these issues. GH5 has unusable autofocus regardless of the fix. And they only fixed it because people were complaining so much about how crappy the autofocus was.

It is up to you to decide whether that makes panasonic noble for updating their products or incompetent for failing to plan properly at the initial release when they know their competitors have strong af. 

Same thing with Fuji - you are just choosing to view it in a positive light. 

Just playing devil's advocate here but it is entirely possible that I am right and I think Jon has a point as well. Zebra's should be the first thing they should update but surprisingly they haven't - so you never know what you will get. 

I don't buy the zebra argument Fuji has put forth, just like I don't buy the BS Panasonic tried to use to save face for lack IBIS in the GH5s. I agree we should hold their feet to the fire about these things. But Fuji - like Olympus - is not a video centric company with its cameras. Compare the Xt1 to the XH1 and they've come pretty far in a relatively short time. Plus we have the MK Cine zooms. Fuji is moving in the right direction IMO. And rumors point to a new processor and sensor in the XT3 this fall, I'm expecting another leap forward.

Many are shitting themselves with excitement over the a73 while ignoring some of the cheap-spec aspects of the body and the same low bitrate Sony has been rolling on its cameras for years. Fuji brings a well rounded hybrid with beautiful color science and IBIS that looks to be significantly better than Sony's and it gets decimated because of AF bugs. Yet there are countless threads littered with comments from people bashing anyone using AF while shooting video. Sometimes I just don't get the spec-schizophrenia on this board.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is though, I'm selling one of my XT2's and my a7r2/s2's to get a XH1 and a a7r3 to see which direction I want to go with my kit. I should have both in the next couple weeks.

Cheers

Chris

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I've read that too, many times! Crazy

What they don't realise is: good video = sells more cameras. 

More cameras sold = more cameras to spread fixed costs over. 

Lower fixed costs = lower priced cameras for everyone! (including "pure" photographers)

That's always such a numbnut argument from the anti-video crowd. Improvements on the video side have a significant impact on stills shooting as well. I really don't understand how the stills-only farts can't see that. And more users benefits everyone in the system.

8 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

That's always such a numbnut argument from the anti-video crowd. Improvements on the video side have a significant impact on stills shooting as well. I really don't understand how the stills-only farts can't see that. And more users benefits everyone in the system.

I am guessing that once cameras support 24fps RAW shooting video & photo crowds will have to unite by definition :) 

54 pages on this freaking camera. (Or any) Why is this particular camera so controversial here? I feel bad for the people that actually bought and like this camera, I'm sure they came to this thread to enjoy talking about it with others that like it too. I wonder if Andrew can close this one and start a new one for those that actually care about it? For those that don't, simply disregard it, it's really not that hard. 

I have to say, it's been a long time for me where I've seen people so vehemently debate each other's opinion and preference, as if that were even debatable. It felt like I was reading an Android vs iOS or Windows vs. OSX comment section. 

I'm officially checking out of this one fellas. Seen you on the flip side of the moon. 

6 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

54 pages on this freaking camera. (Or any) Why is this particular camera so controversial here? I feel bad for the people that actually bought and like this camera, I'm sure they came to this thread to enjoy talking about it with others that like it too. 

that's a honorable mention thing) every time I stepped into this forum to seek some info theres a little feeling that something is stinkin. and its ok for public places) but that feeling was very moderate when I was searching for something like gh5/gh5s and now I need to hear that grumpy disturbing voice of things I'm not interested at all) don't want to filter all those fanboys/ fanboys haters conversation about things that is clear to everyone that have a shard of ability to thinking clearly)

for a little moment I thought that maybe there's some corporative politic here, but Andrews review is great - there's a list of an actual issue addressed to Fuji. it's not full (c'mon where is 200 mbit/s for 1080p60?) and personally I'm not agreed with point about top wheels: I'm using exp. comp. rarely and I'm glad its gone) still iso/s.speed wheels great both for photo and video and the only thing that this interface is missing - is the option to switch for NTSC/PAL s.speeds so I can have 25/50/100 instead of 30/60/125 (and I believe theres more meaning in 120 than 125) - that's gonna be really something usefull instead of 1/48 bs (how many 48Hz lights do u know?)

7 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

54 pages on this freaking camera. (Or any) Why is this particular camera so controversial here? I feel bad for the people that actually bought and like this camera, I'm sure they came to this thread to enjoy talking about it with others that like it too. I wonder if Andrew can close this one and start a new one for those that actually care about it? For those that don't, simply disregard it, it's really not that hard. 

I have to say, it's been a long time for me where I've seen people so vehemently debate each other's opinion and preference, as if that were even debatable. It felt like I was reading an Android vs iOS or Windows vs. OSX comment section. 

I'm officially checking out of this one fellas. Seen you on the flip side of the moon. 

Agreed. I really want to learn about the camera but its hard finding the info I need digging through this thread. Especially with all the anti fuji hate an occasional aggression by some of our respected members