Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Kisaha Obviously, if you can charge for Alexa, why not? I have produced a feature shot on Alexa precisely. Without mention REDs. The point is when you simply don't want or need it. Small factor also helps when non-intrusive setups are wanted.

No idea if that one from you to hint you are not aware if someone knows how the industry works was actually addressed to me once we've practically posted at same time. You didn't quote me either. Coming from someone in this business for 2 decades and a half now, I think I may fulfill some credits to answer anyway:

Of course, an average budget won't cut on the camera department. Why should it be? That's the most insignificant part. The story will happen to end much different when low/no budget realm(s) pop up. Or for aesthetics or even a matter of principle, tools of choice or craft (as for example, small crews or constituted for novices) come to mind and method of work. At times, only for the pleasure we have to produce something substantially unconventional as further as possible. These light tools fit there.

39 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Don't worry, I'm not taking offense; but (...)

OK, got it perfectly now. That one was actually not addressed to me : ) It is answered in one way or another.

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@Emanuel Not at all! We are "old timers" in this sport and from similarly small markets from the south of Europe. 

@mkabi not at all. no problem. and sorry for interrupting your train of thought.

Indeed : D We have to adapt to the part of world we were born for : ) I know IIRC you are Greek but you've also worked in UK, correct? (That feature shot on Alexa is exactly part of my British portfolio :-)

@Emanuel exactly! some times I see the Northerners look down to us with a different look! The social and working systems are not flawless here, and most of our buys have to be spot on. If I do a couple of buying mistakes, I could be out of the market very easily, or couldn't compete (especially in prize and time per job).

I did my Bachelor of Arts in UK, in Film and Video (last bachelor degree with real film on the island) and did some jobs there, mainly on sound, that was after my 2 other degrees (in Sound and Multimedia computing and Programming) and after a good 5 years in working experience. Great times, both in Brixton and Manchester. Europe was our playground back then, today, not so much, and UK, not at all! I haven't been there since 2013/2014 I believe.

@mkabi Oh, my yes! Every time I watch a film, I am wondering what is real, and what is CGI, the use of green screens, even in simple frames, is unbelievable! Lately, every now and then, I go back to watch films from 50s, 60s. The simplicity of their construction, but the multiple levels of acting and script writing , brings some balance to my digital soul!

@Kisaha

Very nice to know, my friend, what's exactly your name? Kudos for your course of life -)

5 hours ago, j-oc said:

Yep, seemed good. Like all Fuji’s you have to change the size of the AF box to get the best results for each scene.

Any shortcomings you had noticed?

Here's some informative link on topic:

https://fujiaddict.com/2018/02/27/fujifilm-x-h1-autofocus-explained/

22 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

@Kisaha

Very nice to know, my friend, what's exactly your name? Kudos for your course of life -)

Any shortcomings you had noticed?

Here's some informative link on topic:

https://fujiaddict.com/2018/02/27/fujifilm-x-h1-autofocus-explained/

No, it seemed very similar to but a bit faster than my Xpro2 but I was in a camera store, not doing my thing in a theatre so it was not possible to draw a firm conclusion.

14 minutes ago, j-oc said:

No, it seemed very similar to but a bit faster than my Xpro2 but I was in a camera store, not doing my thing in a theatre so it was not possible to draw a firm conclusion.

BTW, have you ever noticed this issue shown in the next links with your current Fuji camera going on your style of shooting at theatre along back light setups?

7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

BTW, have you ever noticed this issue shown in the next links with your current Fuji camera going on your style of shooting at theatre along back light setups?

The vertical stripes? No, I've never seen that.

The Fuji cameras will produce a pink/purple flare if you jam a light right down the lens but you really have to force it. I can remember it annoying me once but otherwise its not a problem - sometimes I use it for creative effect.

Ralph Roque (2017-346-Edit.jpg

15 hours ago, Emanuel said:

@Kisaha Obviously, if you can charge for Alexa, why not? I have produced a feature shot on Alexa precisely. Without mention REDs. The point is when you simply don't want or need it. Small factor also helps when non-intrusive setups are wanted.

No idea if that one from you to hint you are not aware if someone knows how the industry works was actually addressed to me once we've practically posted at same time. You didn't quote me either. Coming from someone in this business for 2 decades and a half now, I think I may fulfill some credits to answer anyway:

Of course, an average budget won't cut on the camera department. Why should it be? That's the most insignificant part. The story will happen to end much different when low/no budget realm(s) pop up. Or for aesthetics or even a matter of principle, tools of choice or craft (as for example, small crews or constituted for novices) come to mind and method of work. At times, only for the pleasure we have to produce something substantially unconventional as further as possible. These light tools fit there.

OK, got it perfectly now. That one was actually not addressed to me : ) It is answered in one way or another.

I think the more experienced amoung us can agree that just like cameras there's different tiers in the industry. It is very possible you all are right and wrong depending on context at the same time.

Budget is a key factor, but also Director/DP pairings can also vary what setups are used. There is no one setup fits all. And yes, filming at this level is as commercial and big business as it gets. The goal of most businesses is profit.

For better or worse, there's no getting around the fact that Arri has Hollywood (and it's sister industries) in a strong headlock. Aside from obvious quality, Arriflex has been a film company since 1937. That's incredible name recognition, even despite the fact that RED, founded in 1999, some 62 years later beat Arri to the punch with the first digital film sensor, not to be confused with video.

The above says two important things about the industry:

1.) The industry has been incredibly relunctant, if not even hostile to change. (For better or worse)

2.) Despite this even Arriflex, with their 62 year lead in reputation within the industry was forced by a man who sold sun glasses with zero reputation in cameras let alone the film industry to eventually concede and build a digital film sensor of their own to remain competitive. Take that Quark! (Designer humor) 

So what's the take away here? I'll let you decide that for yourself.

There's one more distinction I'd to call out. In the not so distant past there was only one way to climb up the ranks in filmmaking for most people at the level we're talking about. You had to make great coffee, because the men (another topic altogether) that held the keys to the kingdom were not very willing to pass them on all that freely, if ever. It was about domination, not information sharing.

Fast forward to today and it's entirely possible to bypass that bottleneck altogether largely in part to how the accessibility of tools and network building has shifted the conversation more democratically. This is happening in the music industry too.

Some in the industry are grumpy and skeptical, some simply busy, comfortable and by extension out of touch, and some so jaded by the status quo, or such technofiles they want to blow the whole convention up into dust. You can easily assume that the "big cats" are both hostile and intrigued by say a camera like a GH5 or a DSLR. It just depends which one of those big cats you ask, and how open to creativity and diversity they actually are. Most will be unlikely to bite the hand that feeds them.

@Matthew Hartman Well, well, I'd say they don't give a damn for the camera to be used. Not when money pops up anyway. Not exactly to save their pennies for ; ) That's a double-edged sword.

Arri as camera manufacturer is a different story and yes, they had to go after whatsoever. Michael Bravin episode (I even had the chance to trade some messaging with him then) is there to testify. Jim and Jarred also took their part on their marketing plot. The same a couple of years later with Sony. This decade. The transition is made in the previous decade though. Of course, DoPs have their input to give but the fees side of the story still stands.

Indies will always mark the history of this medium since when Chaplin, Griffith, Fairbanks and Pickford founded United Artists a century ago. I guess you missed that part from my previous post (Cheers, E :-)

The reason, apart from habit and intransigence, for choosing Arri/Panavision (and to a lesser extent Red/Sony, and recently Panasonic) has always been the issue of reliability and availability. You don't want to stand down a million dollar a day set while you wait for a broken camera to be repaired or replaced and the big boys have that professional level of service down to a tee.

Now I don't personally think that any currently available prosumer camera along the lines of GH5 etc yet has the effortless cinematic qualities of an Alexa, but it's easy to see that it won't be that long before they might. At that point we may reach an interesting tipping point where the whole reliability/repair/spares issue becomes moot as a production can just buy 50 of the things and still be quids in on their camera department costs. Interesting times.

2 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

@Matthew Hartman Well, well, I'd say they don't give a damn for the camera to be used. Not when money pops up anyway. Not exactly to save their pennies for ; ) That's a double-edged sword. Arri as camera manufacturer is a different story and yes, they had to go after whatsoever. Michael Bravin episode (I even had the chance to trade some messaging with him then) is there to testify. Jim and Jarred also took their part on their marketing plot. The same a couple of years later with Sony. This decade. The transition is made in the previous decade though. Of course, DoPs have their input to give but the fees side of the story still stands. Indies will always mark the history of this medium since when Chaplin, Griffith, Fairbanks and Pickford founded United Artists a century ago. I guess you missed that from my previous post (Cheers, E :-)

I wouldn't say I missed it, I'm simply adding another perspective. Also, please don't ever feel targeted, I mostly speak in generalities in search of the average take away. I also don't mind being wrong. I'm too old to be worrying about my viewpoints become bigger for me than finding common ground amoung good people. I'd rather have friends than have the last word. 

2 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

Now I don't personally think that any currently available prosumer camera along the lines of GH5 etc yet has the effortless cinematic qualities of an Alexa, but it's easy to see that it won't be that long before they might. At that point we may reach an interesting tipping point where the whole reliability/repair/spares issue becomes moot as a production can just buy 50 of the things and still be quids in on their camera department costs. Interesting times.

I concure, and in fact think that we're already on the tip of that point right now. It's going to get real interesting. 

40 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

I wouldn't say I missed it, I'm simply adding another perspective. Also, please don't ever feel targeted, I mostly speak in generalities in search of the average take away. I also don't mind being wrong. I'm too old to be worrying about my viewpoints become bigger for me than finding common ground amoung good people. I'd rather have friends than have the last word.

Sure Matthew, if you follow my posting you'll find the same attitude, no worries : ) I mean it seriously. I had added a similar perspective inside some other paragraph meaning but you seemed to have missed it from my earlier post :-)

41 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

The reason, apart from habit and intransigence, for choosing Arri/Panavision (and to a lesser extent Red/Sony, and recently Panasonic) has always been the issue of reliability and availability. You don't want to stand down a million dollar a day set while you wait for a broken camera to be repaired or replaced and the big boys have that professional level of service down to a tee.

Indeed (out of likes again... this 10-likes limitation is a bitch but post count is post count :D) aside the fact these cheap devices are not exactly outside because of lack of cinematic properties despite any much more expensive tool must bring some add-on to play with, well said, I invariably much appreciate your insights too :-)

54 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

I'd rather have friends than have the last word.

I'm completely not competent to discuss technical side of Arri or Panavision, but I think that it is not unnecessarily to remark and single out formulations that - proven with consistent attitude - are deep and noble as quoted one.

(In fact, for me it is desirable top of the meaning even in specialized web forums as this one.)

(Edit - Actually, owing to my origin, nature and wish to be always completely sincere - quoted sentence produce some tears in my eyes...)

1 minute ago, anonim said:

I'm completely not competent to discuss technical side of Arri or Panavision, but I think that it is not unnecessarily to remark and single out formulations that - proven with consistent attitude - are deep and noble as quoted one.

(In fact, for me it is desirable top of the meaning even in specialized web forums as this one.)

I derived this outlook from the many years of repeated proverbial head pairings with a brick wall to one day figure out it is possible to simply go around said wall with far less injury. Having three kids and two divorces will do that to a man. ?

Cheers gentlemen.?

22 minutes ago, anonim said:

@Matthew Hartman

(I just only wish you to really find a friend who, after many testing-concerning situations, behave worthily/according to full meaning of that sentence. And The woman also :) )

Thanks bro.

Although a self admitted loner, I do have friends, I swear! ?

Not really investing much time into committed romantic relationships right now. I think most of those are codependant and conditional anyway. It's not the easiest life choice, particularly at 44, but it allows me the time and space to understand who I am as an individual. I think when I do go after that type of relationship again, I'll be able to approach it from a better place and give it the kind of care and investment it requires.

I had my first kid at 23, way too young, I was a kid myself! Well, that kid now works in an underground bunker for the U.S. Army in special intelligence. (Where Edward Snowden worked)

So, unless you all want your assets frozen and a blue sky drone coming your direction I suggest you take particular favor with me. ? ?