Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

Why don't you take all that for the private realm? (proper exchange of email addresses would be a good beginning to keep going the issue out there as you wish; we are all entitled to have our preferences, likes and hates, only that in the right corner because forums really need healthy vibes and beats instead)

On the real topic, here's more from and about the tool (it doesn't deserve the presence of people interested to discuss anything else including something of their very own -- personal agendas, old, new, etc but not the camera at all as seems so):

PS: New page, new life, let's move on :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does Tony Northrup have right when, at the end of his review, send question to Fuji advertising team - why they didn't include any 4k promo clip advertising 4k video camera? Is it true, and if it so, what could be the reason?

I notice that strange question just because yesterday it seemed to me that exists obvious discrepancy of DR and details between shots in one of the promo - in which I very liked some, I'd say, succeeded shots.

11 minutes ago, anonim said:

Does Tony Northrup have right when, at the end of his review, send question to Fuji advertising team - why they didn't include any 4k promo clip advertising 4k video camera? Is it true, and if it so, what could be the reason?

I notice that strange question just because yesterday it seemed to me that exists obvious discrepancy of DR and details between shots in one of the promo - in which I very liked some, I'd say, succeeded shots.

What clip exactly? I see differences between stills and video not always but as usual when we're speaking on distinct acquisition media, obviously.

I recall they state they were all produced and shot on X-H1 4K as matter of fact (even though, slowmotion surely not). So I guess we should believe so, no? :-)

Have you seen the 2nd one from those three posted above? Interesting stuff. Fits Fuji dream-like imagerie. Seems all shot on this camera.

5 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

What clip exactly? I see differences between stills and video not always but as usual when we're speaking on distinct acquisition media, obviously.

I recall they state they were all produced and shot on X-H1 4K as matter of fact. So I guess we should believe so, no? :-)

I think what he means is that even though it was shot in 4K, the end product uploaded on YT is still 1080p or lower res (remember seeing atleast 1 video delivered in 720p).

Yesterday shot - portrait of an woman photographer, some shots with beautiful DR, some of the same subject smoothened - there I wrote exactly time code.

2nd one looks to me very disappointing - exactly the same as some of above mentioned: when bald guy talks, I can't see any wrinkles at his skin. The rest also seem vary plasticky flat to me and with mediocre DR, as being of the GH5s low low light sort :)

1 minute ago, mkabi said:

I think what he means is that even though it was shot in 4K, the end product uploaded on YT is still 1080p or lower res (remember seeing atleast 1 video delivered in 720p).

But, is it worthy to deliver it going on with YT compression even @4K resolution?

2 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Of course it is so... I also upload on youtube and beg spectators for best viewing resolution :)  But I think that sense of the Northrop question is something that also legitimelly interested me: what is exact looks of 4k videos, don't converted to HD.

1 minute ago, anonim said:

...I can't see any wrinkles at his skin....

Trust me, I don't think anyone wants to see wrinkles in their skin :)

So, may be a filter was applied? This is why we need more independent reviewers that have a plethora of experience with other cameras and IQ from them.

As for 4K on YT, may be Northrup has a really good computer and connection to watch 4K on YT without artifacts & stuttering. 

30 minutes ago, anonim said:

Yesterday shot - portrait of an woman photographer, some shots with beautiful DR, some of the same subject smoothened - there I wrote exactly time code.

2nd one looks to me very disappointing - exactly the same as some of above mentioned: when bald guy talks, I can't see any wrinkles at his skin. The rest also seem vary plastiky flat to me and with mediocre DR, as being of the GH5s low low light sort :)

That one I guess:

On the other one posted today mentioned now, I think matches the color type offered by Fuji instead. I agree with you on the interview part though.

23 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Trust me, I don't think anyone wants to see wrinkles in their skin :)

So, may be a filter was applied? (...)

LOL You are really on the spot... : ) There's nothing wrong as far as resolution goes.

Sorry, but no, I don't trust you that anyone wants to see wrinkles in their skin.

Come on, we all know how great difference between HD and 4k shots is on sony a6500. For me, as maybe-buyer and video oriented user, is of great interest to know about that distinction. How look like 4k and how not downsampled HD footage.

If it is so obvious to many of us that we need more independent reviewers to know IQ from them  - on what bases I can make conclusion about achievement of this camera? For me, last three posted clips are very under of mediocre ones. Some footages from yesterday posted shots look to me very nice.

Good lord, this thread took a left turn.

I'm still pretty excited for this camera and it's capabilities and more over, what it means for Fuji.

It seems like a step further in the video direction and that's a good thing.

But is anyone else getting confused by the name?

Not within the fuji line up, but I can't help but thinking of the Canon XHa1 from years ago everytime I read XH-1

24 minutes ago, mkabi said:

(...) This is why we need more independent reviewers that have a plethora of experience with other cameras and IQ from them.

As for 4K on YT, may be Northrup has a really good computer and connection to watch 4K on YT without artifacts & stuttering. 

Word. I think it is more cheap talk to somehow fulfill his review. Northrup style BTW :-)

17 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Good lord, this thread took a left turn.

I'm still pretty excited for this camera and it's capabilities and more over, what it means for Fuji.

It seems like a step further in the video direction and that's a good thing.

But is anyone else getting confused by the name?

Not within the fuji line up, but I can't help but thinking of the Canon XHa1 from years ago everytime I read XH-1

hehe It happened with me in the first google search attempts to follow news about : D Great camera of good memory BTW :-) Do you still remember those two versions of same camera?

2 hours ago, anonim said:

Sorry, but no, I don't trust you that anyone wants to see wrinkles in their skin.

Whatever floats your boat...

2 hours ago, anonim said:

If it is so obvious to many of us that we need more independent reviewers to know IQ from them  - on what bases I can make conclusion about achievement of this camera? 

First, don't listen to spec sheet heroes... cause these people look at spec sheets and automatically think that if this camera has more features than this camera then the camera that has the most features is the best... I know... I know... I'm going to get a lot of flak for that one... but sometimes you don't need those features, sometimes you will never use them... its need over want... Here is a good analogy... Ever had pizza before? Some people like just pepperoni pizza, others like more than just pepperoni - like a deluxe pizza (pepperoni, mushrooms and green pepper) or a hawaiian pizza (Pepperoni, bacon/ham, pinneapple), others want a custom pizza.... all understandable.... but what if you start getting toppings you don't want? Like anchovies... well... that being a topping in the first place.... it warrants that someone likes Anchovies, so what about bird poo and dog kaka... you can pick out or rub off bird poo and dog kaka if you don't like it (just like some features on a camera i.e. not use it if you don't like it) but you know that bird poo and dog kaka is going to ruin the taste of the pizza :)  similarly an added feature might ruin the overall image.

Second, don't listen to people that are dead centered on whatever current system that they currently own... this is typically people that are proud of whatever camera that they own, they don't want another camera to come along and make their camera look bad... so they start shaming it.

Third, yes... watch these videos, but remember most of these videos are people that are photographers first.... videographers sometimes, but really don't know crap about how to shoot video. If you say anything about that, they will just say that if you want a video camera, then "buy a proper video camera" (typically an ENG camera)

Fourth, find people that review multiple systems, but do an honest review without going about saying this is better because of whatever minor issue.

Lastly, make your own conclusions.

Very nice colours in that Nepal video. I like how Eterna make the skies a tad cyan. Nice dynamic range and the night clips are beautiful too. Nice AF shift to that boy that suddenly enters in front of the main subject. 

I disagree with Northrup that the XH1 should have had a fully articulating screen. I really dislike them and it would be a definitive deal killer – I don't want to look down at my screen off the camera's center axis. Annoys me to no end. The articulation also adds extra movements that have to be performed to view the screen. Should just be a flip up motion like on a 500CM or Rolleiflex. I understand that it is valuable for vloggers but there are better cameras for vlogging than a reinforced sturdy pro body like this. For the occasional self portrait or weird angle I've found the smartphone app to work perfectly well. 

If a few are going to suggest that I was flaming, I think it’s important to remember why I restated my points in the first place. When a forum member made a ridiculing comment that ergonomics had no place in the discussion, I was compelled to explain why ergonomics are important, and that just happens to be the first aspect reviewers talk about when evaluating any camera. When another forum member said the lack of certain features did not bother them, I tried to explain that not only would such features not interfere with their picture taking, but that thousands of other photographers found those features useful and had actually requested them. And when someone said I was a fanboy and had no business comparing one camera to another, I went back and rewrote my criticisms without referencing any other camera. Of course, I could keep my peace or just write positive things about the camera - but we are already inundated with hundreds of photographers and reviewers who are sponsored by Fuji. But I will say that if none of what I’ve said matters to you and the only thing holding you back from getting this camera is that you’re waiting to see more tests or sample footage, I would say just go ahead and buy it. The image quality and lenses are what sold me on Fuji in the first place.

Horses for courses. You can give more importance to some aspects to discuss than others. This doesn't mean you're going to directly address adjectives to camera features as easily as people like to publicly diminish their other fellow members especially when they don't share our opinion. For wisdom's sake! Only impoverishes the sender, let alone the content... Without mention when the subject is subjective. No whatever specs we praise will please everyone. To each his own. To try the opposite can end stuck in a limbo.