Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

On 2/23/2018 at 3:42 AM, mkabi said:

Now, the real questions - enthusiasts, filmmakers and the peeps above should be asking is whats good enough for the majority so that when they look at it, they will say "wow" now thats a good movie. 

Now back to your specific questions, I don't know who Fuji's target audience is with this camera... nor do I know Panasonic's or Sony's...

Meanwhile.... Panasonic saw that and said.... holy shit!!! build that GH1 quick and push those video features. 

I’ve never based a camera buying decision on what was good enough for the majority (not even sure what that is supposed to mean) so that they would go ‘wow’. Could you explain how you go about doing that?

The X-H1 is aimed at budget filmmakers and demanding stills shooters. You really didn’t know that?

1 hour ago, Vladimir said:

Oh, did I mentioned I'm a hybrid artist [ and a Panasonic is no competitor here at all ] ? [ this is a $10 handmade lens on x-t2 ]5.thumb.jpg.b38c90448e89d96f376d5693024e3c93.jpg

In the realm of fuzzy image making, this lens has no peer. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I’ve never based a decision on which camera to purchase on what was good enough for the majority (not even sure what that is supposed to mean) so that they would go ‘wow’. 

The X-H1 is aimed at budget filmmakers and demanding stills shooters. You really did’t know that?

So, you consider yourself an enthusiast and above? 

Ask yourself this... The videos that you make.... You make them for yourself or for everyone? If the answer is everyone..... That everyone is the majority.... You, yourself is the minority. Do I need to go into an example here??

"X-H1 is aimed at budget filmmakers and demanding stills shooters." Really???

Did you know the following:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/groups/markets-film-captain-america

https://www.provideocoalition.com/fury-rig-from-mad-max-to-your-dslr/

I'm guessing those were budget films. Again, the 5D mark ii spawned the cine line (I remember stating that the 5D2 had a 12 min. record limit)

May be the X-H1 is a test bed for a Fuji cine line of camera bodies....After all, they are already in it already with lenses

"demanding stills shooters" I don't know about that, because it's literally the same sensor as the other cams.... Unless they really need IBIS.... Also, I would think that someone that is a "demanding stills shooter" would rather go medium format??? GFX??

I think it’s absurd to say that ergonomics are off-limits when discussing the X-H1 - after all, the single most obvious differences between the X-H1 and X-T2 are the size of the body itself and the grip. Other improvements are the buttons, especially the large, well-placed back button AF and IBIS. Fortunately, not everyone shares the belief that good design is meaningless, and not only camera design. Typography is another. Over 500,000 people a year either take the wrong medication or don’t follow the directions, partly because of poor typography. Elections have been won or lost because of confusing ballot typography. Sure, there are user preferences and subjectivity, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t question anything. And I question the decision to have a shutter speed dial on top of the camera and an aperture ring on the lens, which is considerably less convenient than dials that can be operated by thumb and forefinger. And this design extends to the menus, where Fuji makes extremely poor use of the 3” of space provided for things like adjusting microphone levels. As far as Fuji color science goes, aside from in-camera F-Log, 200Mbps, IBIS and C4K, the most significant update is arguably the addition of the Eterna film emulation - included because filmmakers weren’t satisfied with the other photo styles. 

23AD93C1-4FB4-4099-ADB6-A6AC3B65AFD6.png

F339111F-02EF-41E0-8762-002C2B8D42B1.jpeg

44 minutes ago, mkabi said:

So, you consider yourself an enthusiast and above? 

Ask yourself this... The videos that you make.... You make them for yourself or for everyone? If the answer is everyone..... That everyone is the majority.... You, yourself is the minority. Do I need to go into an example here??

"X-H1 is aimed at budget filmmakers and demanding stills shooters." Really???

Did you know the following:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/groups/markets-film-captain-america

https://www.provideocoalition.com/fury-rig-from-mad-max-to-your-dslr/

I'm guessing those were budget films. Again, the 5D mark ii spawned the cine line (I remember stating that the 5D2 had a 12 min. record limit)

May be the X-H1 is a test bed for a Fuji cine line of camera bodies....After all, they are already in it already with lenses

"demanding stills shooters" I don't know about that, because it's literally the same sensor as the other cams.... Unless they really need IBIS.... Also, I would think that someone that is a "demanding stills shooter" would rather go medium format??? GFX??

You haven’t answered the question. How does one go about choosing a camera that will wow the majority, whoever they are? I’m the minority? That doesn’t make sense in any language I’m familiar with. Maybe you could just type in your native language and I can use Google translate. 

I suppose I should eat at McDonalds, drink the best-selling beer and watch the Gilmore Girls too.

Do you even own a camera? Do you have a website, a YouTube or Vimeo channel where we can see your work? My guess is no. So no point in discussing anything with you.

• Super Members

Im gonna show this here as well (will be dropping it in a Canon thread also).
I did a poll where I listed 5 specs and asked people what was the most important to them.
864 votes so far.

And the winning spec is something Fuji does very well imo. So there definitely is a lot of appeal to the crowd out there in the non forum world.

poll_yt.thumb.png.8bf3ed5f595a8ed110bcda53b85fd2be.png

Thank you, @Mattias Burling . While we may not all agree on what constitutes good ergos, I think rational humans can at least acknowledge that handling is important to filmmakers and photographers. To clarify, that is not a poll of Fuji owners, nor is it about Fuji cameras at all. More importantly, I would seriously question the options given in the poll in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im gonna show this here as well (will be dropping it in a Canon thread also).
I did a poll where I listed 5 specs and asked people what was the most important to them.
864 votes so far.

And the winning spec is something Fuji does very well imo. So there definitely is a lot of appeal to the crowd out there in the non forum world.

poll_yt.thumb.png.8bf3ed5f595a8ed110bcda53b85fd2be.png

Maybe: If you put - totally founded - choice of pretty neutral formulation "Good looking image OOC (without needs for further intervention)" as first proposal in consumers forum, it will have more specific usage and argumenting power on Fuji thread? After all, isn't it the most prominent and distinctive side of Fuji quality and attractiveness?

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, anonim said:

After all, isn't it the most prominent and distinctive side of Fuji quality and attractiveness?

Not for me. Its about the controls. Great lens lineup, nice colors and mindblowing ISO preformance is bonus.

Ps. Its not supposed to have "argumenting power", I found it very interesting and people can take away what they want from it :)

Fujifilm designers have said themselves that the X-H1 is first and foremost a stills camera (as is the rest of the X system). They’re really incredible for stills.

Sure the underlying sensor can be found elsewhere but then there are the lenses and the fantastic image quality resulting from a unique imaging chain with things like xtrans and the film simulations.

The X-H1 is not a video camera like the GH5.

It’s a fantastic stills camera with good video functions.

A better and more relevant comparison would be with the Panasonic G9 or the OMD EM1ii or A7riii.

The best thing with Fujifilm are the ergonomics. I come from a fine art background and artists I know are switching to Fujifilm en masse because they are easy to use. One can see the shutter, aperture and ISO at all time and it really can’t be understated how important this is. Important for the creative process but also fun to use!

It was also suggested that people who prefer this type of ergonomics somehow have lesser taste or poor understanding of design. A preference for dials was linked to poor typography and dysfunctional democracy. That is an unfair thing to say. People work differently, think differently and what works best for some doesn’t work at all for others. Fujifilm ergonomics are without peers. They are decidedly more fun to use and easier to understand. 

26 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ps. Its not supposed to have "argumenting power"...

Well, it seems to me that slight suggestion hidden or not in formulation - "And the winning spec is something Fuji does very well imo" - tiny little bit told different :)

Being or not so - that's formulation that (mis)leads me to use mine of "argumenting power" - alas, with my broken English...

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, anonim said:

Well, it seems to me that slight suggestion hidden or not in formulation - "And the winning spec is something Fuji does very well imo" - tiny little bit told different :)

Being or not so - that's formulation leads me to use mine of "argumenting power" - alas, with my broken English...

I was very clear with it being just my personal opinion.

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

I was very clear with it being just my personal opinion.

Of course. Personal opinion with quite proper weight of argument, and that's nice - because your in-experience-founded opinion, at least for me, indeed has to be count as respectable.

Just, I was so often here been told that best OOC image from Fuji is universal truth and undisputable... so I finally obeyed and followed this inclination in my suggestion :)

2 minutes ago, anonim said:

Uh, why such scathing answer? Or it is not such (trying to include my non-native knowledge of language)?

It's a bit salty. 

Apparently this camera has caused quite some controversy here. I'm not sure any camera, or "thing" is quite worth all the shade that's been thrown around on this topic. You either like this camera, or you don't, or are unsure or indifferent. I'm not sure what all the fuss is really about. My guess is something underlying. 

28 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This is all simply untrue except in your own twisted version of reality.

I’m sorry, was it not you who somehow implied that preference for Fujifilm ergonomics is somehow related to incompetent use of typography?

Why are you repeatedly flaming in a thread about a camera that obviously don’t fit your ergonomic preferences? 

Again, the X-H1 is a camera aimed at professional photographers. It can also do decent video. It is not meant to be the same type of camera as the GH5. Again, more like the G9.