Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Django said:

(...) This is when great color science, white balance, highlight roll-off and Fuji's film simulations & image settings come in useful for getting deliverable SOOC footage.

Indeed. As written earlier above-posted, that's a pretty advantage not easily found with other players or even any other camera manufacturer out there. Their color science is their major asset, my dear fellow of these boards, @anonim :-)

1 hour ago, anonim said:

I suppose more important - testing here is impossible... touch and buy. And most important - if price in USA is 2000$, here will be 2300 euros...

If you have VAT number at your disposal, it will cost you less than EUR1600 net from UK : ) GH5 is cheaper though. More versatile one as well. GH5S instead will end in that price range.

2 hours ago, deezid said:

The outdoor shots look great to me. The indoor shots need some grading though.
Nice colors, dynamic range and no crazy overprocessing (like my GH5)

LOL What have you written, Dennis?! Don't dare to say a Fuji camera is better than any of the usual suspects when people already left their pennies for, especially in such sensitive case... Don't you see is soooo videoy here too? hehe Fuji can't be more cinematic than any other because it is not! :X As simple as that :D when people simply don't let it be so... *cough cough* Remember, it is 8-bit! Don't dare to say highlights rolloff are sweet and look like smoother than GH5 either. Even if you and me, we have been two of the best supporters Panasonic may afford... without demanding payback points to redeem whatsoever ;-)

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@anonim And how are you set for lenses? Your two Voigtlanders aren’t compatible with Fuji. If you’re shooting professionally and $800 is a hardship, my advice would be to stick with the camera you’ve already got.

It's not problem to sell GH5 and Voigtlanders. I have long way behind in testing/playing/shooting cameras and lenses, and I somehow managed to always keep minimal and best suited for my needs. So it is not too hard to get also and Fuji - if it's necessary I have many friends and.... well, supporters, abroad. But I like to try, am open to every advance steps, although shooting is my third- or fourth-ish activity. I waited Fuji to get IBIS, playing with friend's XT2. But from what I've seen so far - all in all, as semiprofessional tool, it suits to my needs less than GH5.

16 minutes ago, anonim said:

It's not problem to sell GH5 and Voigtlanders. I have long way behind in testing/playing/shooting cameras and lenses, and I somehow managed to always keep minimal and best suited for my needs. So it is not too hard to get also and Fuji - if it's necessary I have many friends and.... well, supporters, abroad. But I like to try, am open to every advance steps, although shooting is my third- or fourth-is activity. I waited Fuji to get IBIS, playing with friend's XT2. But from what I've seen so far - all in all, as semiprofessional tool, it suits to my needs less than GH5.

So you played with a Fuji camera and are you still in doubt? Sorry to say but once you play with their colors, not easy to look for outside anymore ; ) To my view, 4K 50p/60p is their major missing feature to pair with those anamorphic modes you find on GH5 but not on GH5S though, even more than 10-bit 4.2:2, the most professional touch on Panny side. About the leftover... they are peanuts, ergonomics included. AF doesn't count, even now with the new workaround found.

37 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

LOL What have you written, Dennis?! Don't dare to say a Fuji camera is better than any of the usual suspects when people already left their pennies for, especially in that subject sensitive matter... :D Fuji can't be more cinematic than any other because it is not! :X As simple as that hehe when people simply don't let it be so... *cough cough* Don't dare to say highlights rolloff are sweet and look like smoother than GH5 either. Even if you and me, we have been two of the best supporters Panasonic may afford... without demanding payback points to redeem whatsoever ;-)

It becomes strange... such a triumphal tone on scene... supported by onomatopeic signs: LOL :D *cough cough*... what's next level Emanuel? Did you sometimes read your lines and conclusions or always acts as baby: People that don't think as you are: "crippled by mother nature", idiots tied for objects thеy "already left their pennies for"... while you are martyr who was "crucified" in this forum, forced to keep "tongue at cheek". Now I'm professionally interested: what do you think, now when you are obviously show all of us your full selfadmiration glory after being crucified... will you resurect with Fuji roll-off traces to us ignorants?

@anonim you should test shoot one if you can or download footage from cameralabs or someone and grade it. Usually the shots you can download from these sites are a good baseline to tell generally how the image would grade if you shoot with it sooc before you even start tweaking your settings. Currently I am a Sony A6500 user as well as a Canon 5D mark iii RAW user and I find each camera has its own attributes that make it its own film stock. Fuji has a particular look that its famous for that photographers try to mimic* through film emulation and cinematographers through LUT’s. A LUT will never be as accurate as what you can get straight from the manufacturers engineers. Good color science straight to a 200mbs 8bit file from a 14bit sensor is more than sufficient for todays needs unless it has crippling macroblocking which I doubt with that bit rate. Good color sooc allows you to make small adjustments in a regular NLE software to get the color how you want it without introducing artifacting into your footage. As someone who plans to start uploading content in 4k having good color sooc is very important to me. It is making me consider going to fuji from sony solely for the increase in bitrate, I unlike the masses not only like the color I am currently getting out of my Sony I can work with it in post LOL 

At the very least, I’d wait until they iron out problems with the camera freezing when adjusting audio levels; distorted audio monitoring; recording starting when touching screen to focus; after manually focusing with focus assist, picture not resizing when initiating recording; waving a hand in front of the EVF interferes with external recorder/monitor; top LCD not distinguishing between DCI and UHD 4K;  when using external mic and switching to off in menu, audio can still be heard; when finished recording, camera takes too long before next clip can be recorded; picture size and menu layout structure in the EVF changes when switching between manual focus mode and one of the other autofocus modes. 

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

At the very least, I’d wait until they iron out problems with the camera freezing when adjusting audio levels, distorted audio monitoring, recording starting when touching screen to focus, after manually focusing with focus assist, picture not resizing when initiating recording and waving a hand in front of the EVF interferes with external recorder/monitor

Wouldn't they have fixed that in production models vs. pre-production models. All these videos are from beta-testers some that go back to November 2017

@kidzrevil

Thanks, but allow me to say that I really know all of that - just because I have certain experience in these matters. Answering you, I feel little bit ashamed to wrote the same thing third or four time (more over because you already downvoted it once)... Judging from showed clips, I think that Fuji is great especially as photo-result tool; what I suspect is that longlong string of images manipulated in such brilliant manner (very precise and subtle color balance, sharpening and saturation, inward illumination) become distractive or, trying to say in other word, too selfexposing... That's all. For my taste and shooting goal/specific task - I'm searching for the most natural reproduction - of course, as I subjectively see it - not for the most beautifull.

BTW your works are very instructive and interesting examples of not-being-seduced with modern ideal of sharpness, even detailness. Calling some examples from history of art - Isaac Levitan instead of Ivan Shishkin...

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

At the very least, I’d wait until they iron out problems with the camera freezing when adjusting audio levels, distorted audio monitoring, recording starting when touching screen to focus, after manually focusing with focus assist, picture not resizing when initiating recording, waving a hand in front of the EVF interferes with external recorder/monitor, top LCD not distinguishing between DCI and UHD 4K, when using external mic and switching to off in menu, audio can still be heard, when finished recording, camera takes too long before next clip can be recorded, picture size and menu layout structure in the EVF will change when switching between the manual focus mode and one of the other autofocus modes. 

Such quirks really are not "peanuts". I'm not even considering them yet... Regarding your advice, I'm now more tending to buy BMPCC - third time :) I had it twice and sold, and last time I told myself I'll buy it again and keep forever when it costs me about 400 euros. That is the moment... but know I swear that I really will buy one more camera (for pure enjoy) when Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5 with m43 mount first appear for 600 euros.

That's my little invention for curing GAsyndrome...

@jonpais

Oh, if you didn't already try Blackmagic's and raws, allow me to suggest it... and enjoy with you. Claiming from the most beautiful and most sincere and creative point of view - as pure aficionado - working with BM raw clips is another league of enjoyment.

But why I didn't keep them? First - to finance further exploration. Second - I hate (well, not exactly) rigs, cables, looks of serious cameraman. Third - when I had BM cameras, there's no yet Zhiyun crane quality and price.

Allow me just one point: I have always with me some movies. One of them is Malick's Knight of Cups. Why? Every single shot is max 3 sec. long... camera is in constant unsettled flow... angles are strange... light is always natural... Lubezki did it without preparation, without burden of instruments. I know you already understand... freedom. With GH5 (or Fuji or BM and gimbal) we can make pure poetry, no worse than Knight of Cups.

But we first have to raise and carry such malick-ean poetry in ourselves. That's what is missed, and what is extremely hard in West consumer world. Culture. Education and, moremoreover, self-educational passion. Sensibility and compassion. Malick's work on Heidegger. And... not to, sadly, ask and feel cool: is the hermit from Varanasi crazy?