Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

1 hour ago, hmcindie said:

That's because the NX1 has a lot of sharpening artifacts. Those cinema cameras do not add sharpening to the shots. It's like using unsharp mask in photoshop. Works great, but it is not a natural look and if it goes too far, it will look weird. A lot of low budget cams do that, phones have HUGE amounts of unsharp masking going on.

I generally agree, I have my sharpness in my NX1 set to -10 AND I use some Tiffen softening filters, which helps to a degree. Nothing bothers me worse than seeing over sharp edges and smudgy fill because of noise reduction. It's as if I blew up an image is PS past it's native resolution and then applied unsharp mask at 500%. It's just an over processed image. I agree with this. 

But I think the issue is far more than just the sharpening algorithm in these cameras. Something in the quality of the motion. It's subtle, but there. Andrew Reid alluded to it earlier, I think it's difficult to put in words. I'd probably would have had to built the image sensor to be able to but that's way past my pay grade. I almost see a slight "flickering" (and no I'm not referring to LED/shutter speed) with these sub-$3000 cameras, regardless of brand. 

Also, images tend to look very "thin" or almost graphical and 2D/flat. There's a quality of depth/dimension in cameras like Ari, RED, BMD, etc. (even the pocket cinema camera) that these sub-$3000 cams just do not resolve most of the time. This has nothing to do with sharpness.

I want the God of knowledge and words to strike me right now! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Maybe the best clip for argument of manufacturer mastery - from Fuji corp. itself.

But, for me at least, also and best exmple for my judge: translating result of photo-optimized color science to serious movie area is not 1=1 solution. While every shot looks noticable beautiful to the hyperrealistic level - after a while for me it becomes distracting, or even disturbing. It keeps to much attention to itself, to shine colors, and drain attention from the flow of the fable... Sorry for pathetic formulation, but I think we don't see world as vibrant as Fuji tries to suggest.... For fast shots, for any sort of presentation tending to fascinate - it works without doubt and it is very nice achievement. But for involving spectator into the world - not: this type of color strategy cries "Look how nice it looks!" - and keep you maybe mesmerized, but - outside.

Yes @Matthew Hartman, again, the proof is in the pudding...

Some comments read here are funny... Sorry guys, but when one praises the NX1 because there's an obvious earnest link connected with but not yet with the new toy *cough cough*

C'mon people, take a look on the magenta color of your sensor character first, before starting to criticize the greens of Fuji, because they are really green rather those from early times of RED, before jumping to yellowish especially by night : D or Panny (without mention the reddish Canon or the greys à la Sony ;-)

To me, this camera is a mini-Alexa, yeah you read it right: brings the 'green world' of FujiFilm (Kodak was gold, remember?... for some reason, horror movies were better shot with Fuji colors and melodrama with Eastman) to become ours (even privately!) with IBIS in a small form factor instead ;-)

Still on RAW mantra... I recall Miguel De Olaso aka Macgregor when he was used to the heretic quote there's nothing new to see there except to let lazy DoP work for post LOL 

Am I off in saying I really don't care about a camera's particular color cast? I always grade my footage, always have. I started my career some 25 years ago in print as a graphic designer. I'm used to playing with color and I know color theory like the back of my hand. I just take care of it in post.

Isn't that what you all do as well? 

3 minutes ago, anonim said:

but I think we don't see world as vibrant as Fuji tries to suggest...

THIS one I know the technical reason why we don't perceive vibrant colors as some cameras resolve. Atmosphere. Atmosphere diffuses how our eyes see protons, i.e. light, i.e color. 

I'm ready for my gold star now. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Am I off in saying I really don't care about a camera's particular color cast?

I am forced to care once upon a time when I had to match Leica R and Zeiss Contax footage. Let's say I had an average skills and enough time... I know someone maybe doesn't pay attention to end of my effort, but I knew that I didn't manage to make these footages completely identical. I don't no why - but milky yellow cast of Leica was never the same as pale yellow of Zeiss, even if the waveform monitor or RGB parade showed they I near the same...

9 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Two for you! From the moment I became aware of myself - akka 3 years old - I immediately begun to suspect that I'm not prone to Fuji vibrancy siren's call because I came to the earth from atmosphere... No I know it is true... Thanks man!

23 minutes ago, anonim said:

Maybe the best clip for argument of manufacturer mastery - from Fuji corp. itself.

But, for me at least, also and best exmple for my judge: translating result of photo-optimized color science to serious movie area is not 1=1 solution. While every shot looks noticable beautiful to the hyperrealistic level - after a while for me it becomes distracting, or even disturbing. It keeps to much attention to itself, to shine colors, and drain attention from the flow of the fable... Sorry for pathetic formulation, but I think we don't see world as vibrant as Fuji tries to suggest.... For fast shots, for any sort of presentation tending to fascinate - it works without doubt and it is very nice achievement. But for involving spectator into the world - not: this type of color strategy cries "Look how nice it looks!" - and keep you maybe mesmerized, but - outside.

No, not at all! : ) You're just right about so much else though : )) But, imagery is not real, it is always fake!

A proposal of another reality not alike to alternate or then you'll locate yourself outside, you have no need to stay there ; )

Reality is the bitch you are really done with!

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

But, imagery is not real, it is always fake!

Well, I think there are some degrees... or it is just my naive faith.

17 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Two for you! From the moment I became aware of myself - akka 3 years old - I immediately begun to suspect that I'm not prone to Fuji vibrancy siren's call because I came to the earth from atmosphere... No I know it is true... Thanks man!

5 minutes ago, anonim said:

I am forced to care once upon a time when I had to match Leica R and Zeiss Contax footage. Let's say I had an average skills and enough time... I know someone maybe doesn't pay attention to end of my effort, but I knew that I didn't manage to make these footages completely identical. I don't no why - but milky yellow cast of Leica was never the same as pale yellow of Zeiss, even if the waveform monitor or RGB parade showed they I near the same...

I guess I don't really mix and match brands. If I ever shoot with multiple cameras I make sure they're the same brand. Davinci has really good color grading tools, particularly the qualifiers are really powerful. I would never try to color match footage in something like Premiere/Lumetri. 

Also, believe it or not scopes are sometimes misleading, or a certain conflicting color in the frame is playing an optical illusion with a color that may in fact be technically accurate. Trust your eye. 

Now I don't know what to think... two authorities which I equally deeply respect suggest me different attitude... Emanuel: "Imagery is not real, it is always fake!" ... Matthew Hartman: "Trust your eye"... And it seems there's no Mattias to resolutely resolve this dilema... Moreover sage Webrunner is still mute about that question, which is significant sign. There's no even good sober Jon Pais with his dancers from American in Vietnam movie to help... Damn!

All in all, I feel myself little bit confused and desperate... Last time I remember similar filling was when Krishna explained to me something about reality at the field of Kurukshetra, but I was too stupid to understand.

6 minutes ago, anonim said:

Now I don't know what to think... two authorities which I equally deeply respect suggest me different attitude... Emanuel: "Imagery is not real, it is always fake!" ... Matthew Hartman: "Trust your eye"... And it seems there's no Mattias to resolutely resolve this dilema... Moreover sage Webrunner is still mute about that question, which is significant sign. There's no even good sober Jon Pais with his dancers from American in Vietnam movie to help... Damn!

All in all, I feel myself little bit confused and desperate... Last time I remember similar filling was when Krishna explained to me something about reality at the field of Kurukshetra, but I was too stupid to understand.

Awe...The great paradoxes of life as it were. :)

1 hour ago, Matthew Hartman said:

@anonim

Couldn't resist...:)

emoticon.png

Under your coaching, we together made new one... FujiFilm: "Want to be more real than atmosphere?... Answer is obvious: Fujifilm/Varanasi!"

(I know, I know - always when I'm trying to be witty, I come out stupid... but I'm still keep trying.)

30 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Emanuel Just buy one already.

LOL I am buying one to couple a more professionally capable and versatile GH5 camera model (some other tech pearl of today to pair with the most expensive and higher resolution powerful on stills side but no less video-idiomatic a7RIII; take a look on that lowlight performance of the beast : )

Impossible to resist to the sublime Fuji's colors though. High-end players struggle to beat it.

You should remember when I literally am used to my customary tongue-in-cheek when people underestimate Fuji clips because of 8-bit output. Yours as for instance also still look like from some other league of gear. BTW your GH5 stuff too so I guess the user is also something connected with, no more no less ;-)

20 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

You should remember when I literally am used to my customary tongue-in-cheek when people underestimate Fuji clips because of 8-bit output.

Emanuel, in spite of everything, keep faith with you... knowing that such examples of injustice were inevitable destiny of all profoundly Righteous ones...

@anonim @Matthew Hartman I don't know if you guys have ever shot with Fujis or not but for me, the Fuji's give the most accurate representation of the feeling of a scene through their colours and tonality. And there is no colour bias on skin tones, like Sony's have with yellow or Panasonics have with orange. This is why I often end up not editing images out of the Fujis. If I want to change the mood, then I go to colour grading. 

BTW, regarding that video about the religious indian men.... it seems to me that they are just crazy homeless people? 

21 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

...it seems to me that they are just crazy homeless people? 

Old story, Inazuma, which repeats always in some kind of men.

Once upon a time there was in a Greek town Sinopa a man called Diogen who lived in the barrel. According to legend, Alexander the Great (you know, that one who was played by Colin Farrel in the movie) came to visit this guy Diogen - who was some sort of freethinker and freelancer. Alexander wanted to fulfill a wish for Diogenes and asked him what he desired. According to the version recounted by one historic, Diogenes replied "Stand out of my light."

So, he obviously was longing for pure and unclosed view to the Sun and its light.

Was he crazy? I don't know, but he has one similarity with m43 camera shooter: he loves light... So, he is dear to me, as also a guy from Varanasi.