Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

• Super Members

Any comment not based on actual use is not worth anything imo. So any observation of motion or what ever is still pure speculation so far.

But... if what I've seen so far is acurate. If the specs are as I understand them. And adding to that my experience with earlier models as well as Fujis tradition of firmware updates that puts all the others to shame. If all this is true...

..Then this, imo, is the new benchmark to beat for hybrid cameras. For my usage it seems to be at the absolute frontier.

But until I use it its just speculation. And that will be a while since Im on a break from mirrorless all together. Also @webrunner5 recently convinced me to try a different system.

But sooner or later I might give into temptation.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

13 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

They need to get people in the game really and like the GH5 has a lot of ex G7/GX80 owners who traded up then Fuji need to build that pathway as well as its still not a goto brand for video shooters and whilst its very competitively priced its a big commitment if you're already invested in another system.

Not just G/GX series, but you'll even have people who started out on GM/GF then moved up! So it is in Panasonic's long term interest to not forget about them too. 

I think the advantages that X-H1 offers in video are

1. Fuji Eterna -> great all around colors with low enough contrast that require minimal work

2. Dual audio recording -> Omnidirectional + shotgun?  Why haven't other companies done that already? 

3. Expanded DR modes in video -> have to see how well this works but it sounds promising if the ISO performance is good enough. 

For people that want a hybrid and don't mind about FF, the X-H1 is a valid choice. The 15min clip limit and the ~35min recording time in 4K without spending ~$470 for the grip is just stupid. That makes it a $2370 large & heavy camera. 

I found this a bit more informative than others:

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

If you only count with a single battery, you're not an amateur but probably a camera collector. No user will save in any way other than as a few spare batteries inside the photo bag. Could be a video bag, no matter the size of the bag :-)

It is not about having extra batteries or not. It is how much time you get with each, for example, people routinely complain about battery performance of Sony cameras. 

The biggest problem is that Fuji had spent years and years arguing about the size advantage relative to FF, now they offer a camera that has almost the same crop as the top end m4/3,  it is almost as big & heavy as the Sony FF equivalent with ~1/3 of the battery performance for video. Add the battery grip and now it is larger and heavier than a FF camera. 

Why do people always want to defend cameras until death?  There are advantages & disadvantages with any camera. Let's be realistic about it so people can choose a bit wisely. Battery performance with X-H1 looks to be crap. No reason to argue against this. 

27 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

But don't you still need to buy the 2 extra $70 batteries? 

Do you always buy the overpriced official batteries?

34 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

3. Expanded DR modes in video -> have to see how well this works but it sounds promising if the ISO performance is good enough. 

Not sure if you've ever used Fuji cameras, but the expanded DR modes are usually part of the stills. The maximum (400%) I find to be excellent. I rarely go into lightroom because of it.

40 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

It is not about having extra batteries or not. It is how much time you get with each, for example, people routinely complain about battery performance of Sony cameras. 

The biggest problem is that Fuji had spent years and years arguing about the size advantage relative to FF, now they offer a camera that has almost the same crop as the top end m4/3,  it is almost as big & heavy as the Sony FF equivalent with ~1/3 of the battery performance for video. Add the battery grip and now it is larger and heavier than a FF camera. 

Why do people always want to defend cameras until death?  There are advantages & disadvantages with any camera. Let's be realistic about it so people can choose a bit wisely. Battery performance with X-H1 looks to be crap. No reason to argue against this. 

I really think they missed the boat a bit by not putting the larger GFX battery in the XH1. The grip certainly looks large enough to accommodate it. I get wanting compatibility with existing batteries across its model lines, and I have like 6 of the 126s' so its not a big deal for me. I shoot with the grip most of the time anyway, same for the a7r2. And I feel for mirrorless the XT2 is really good on batteries, certainly much better than my a7r2. But adding power consuming features like IBIS and improved AF/EVF performance does eat batteries faster, I don't think it would impact sales at all if they went to the bigger battery. It doesn't appear to have any negative impact on the a7r3 judging by all the used a7r2's for sale on Fred Miranda. That said, its not a deal breaker for me. YMMV.

Chris

I have 4 batteries among my 2 NX1 cameras since almost 3 years now (the first 2 had lost a little bit of their charge). When we go for work with Sony cameras, or even the new GH5 (it consumes a lot more than GH4 in my experience) we take 6 batteries for each camera, and definitely we will charge during the day. a6xxx cameras especially are power hogs and people (friends and co-workers) using them with power banks attached on monopods or tripods with velcro or gaffer tape. A7rIII is a much more complete camera with the bigger grip (for full frame lenses, do not forget) and the bigger battery. This is a mature camera, a camera to be taken seriously for advanced users.

I still think this X-H1 is two years late.

It reminds me my a6300 (bought almost two years ago) with IBIS.

No zebra, 15mn limits (no way I'm gonna add a grip for a mirorless camera), AF doesn't seem as good as the A6300, no 4k50p (The GH5 has been released one year ago), 4:2:0 8bit and no 10bit externally, Video recorded in fat32 (seriously ? in 2018 ?),  and a sensor at its end of life.

Ok Fuji lens are good (as expensive), but I can't see any good reason for a T2/T20 owner to upgrade for this X-H1. My co-worker from my Youtube Channel has been waiting for it and was really excited about buying this as soon as available (So am I). That was before the official announcement.

Now I'm wainting the ASIII annoucement :grin:

This clip looks a little but more promising but sadly it was uploaded in 1080p and it's hard to know what's due to youtube compression.

Palle Schultz does mention in this video that the camera's video is artifact free and any artifacts one sees would bee from youtube compression not the files from the camera.