Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Fair point, yours, Jon @jonpais (for some valuable points yet on Panny side...)

Here goes anyways, without mention such beautiful monochromatic:

DPReview input from different glass options and IBIS samples:

And yet from my native country where the European press event (with FUJIFILM to follow DJI choosing Lisbon once again) has taken place for that unique color rendering of the remarkable Portuguese 'Azulejo' (who knows the Portuguese painted tin-glazed ceramic tilework knows what I'm talking about*):

* https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azulejo

Can anyone guess how would end those blues if as for instance shot with any Sony mirrorless camera...?

On 2/14/2018 at 3:58 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Curious to know whether they'll do an X-H10 version a few months down the track in the X-T1/X-T2 to X-T10/X-T20 tradition.

What do you imagine a X-H10 would be like? What would they cut?

Fun fact, was browsing local camera rentals and saw the cheapest 4K mirrorless camera to rent from Topic Rentals is a Fujifilm:

http://topicrentals.co.nz/rentals/fujifilm-x-t2-bundle.html

9 hours ago, frontfocus said:

Probably with very short shutter times, that‘s the way photographers do video :grimace:

Sadly true!

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@IronFilm This is posted not a few posts back. You are not paying attention!

ha! Yeah, I just caught that. 

Almost spooky we posted the same video :-o

I'm starting at the start and just slowly making my way through each page.....

Another sad carryover from the X-T2. From DPReview:

This process is slowed still further by the absence from the shutter speed dial of the movie-optimized shutter speeds: if you want to use 1/48th of a second to shoot 24p, it means turning the shutter dial to 1/60th and then turning the rear command dial two clicks to engage it.

Two dials to do something as basic as changing shutter speed is just too much! And I’m guessing no shutter angle option either. 

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

So. Extra video crop, no headphone jack and 15 minute record limit. For being targeted at video shooters they sure has a funny way of showing it.

That is weird! Makes you wonder if for the X-H10 they'll go full retard and drop something really important.... skip on the mic input and drop the adjustable LCD?!

Ah well, they get one little gold for trying at least! 

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The battery grip gives you the headphone jack and extends the record time to 30 minutes like the X-T2 though.

Ah, well that sounds a bit better!

Bloody expensive though at over three hundred dollars:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388301-REG/fujifilm_16571477_vpb_xh1_vertical_power_booster.html

Wish they wouldn't charge so much. Slash the price in half and you'll be a bit closer to making it more appealing. 

2 hours ago, Brother said:

Don’t get me wrong I love the Fuji system and have no gripe against the current lineup. I can even understand to some extent that the reasonably small X-T2 has a booster grip that adds headphone jack and extended record time. But when they release a larger body camera that is clearly targeted at video shooters they should have been able to include those features in the body.

Exactly. Nailed it. 

34 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This process is slowed still further by the absence from the shutter speed dial of the movie-optimized shutter speeds: if you want to use 1/48th of a second to shoot 24p, it means turning the shutter dial to 1/60th and then turning the rear command dial two clicks to engage it.

And I’m guessing no shutter angle option either. 

You can set the XT2 to just use the control dial and to use the full range of shutter speeds, I never turn the top dial. Also, unlike Sony and others, there's actually 1/48 instead of 1/50 if you're shooting 24p.

They should all also listen our Jon! I must be much clear on it... If I'd be any manufacturer, I would hire our good fellow Jon. He is one of the best critics of cameras I've ever read : )

And this doesn't mean I don't notice when for some reason there's something he isn't aware about (like it happened with his recent one on the OLED he had just bought vs some detail he let away from his own attention in the UHD projector's thread when compared with another one of similar resolution instead anyway :-D)

BTW speaking of the usual devils over here, where have you been today, Don? @webrunner5

One other interesting tidbit from Dpreview, MF with focus by wire lenses just got a little better:

"the choice over whether focus-by-wire lenses respond in a linear or speed-sensitive manner. This may sound esoteric but it means that video shooters can mark out positions on the focus ring to allow controlled focus pulling. With a linear response you know that turning the lens by x degrees will result in the same change in focus, regardless of how fast or slow you turn the ring. It's a simple-sounding addition and one we've long been calling for, but Fujifilm is the first manufacturer to listen."

Though I'm disappointed by the lack of zebras as well, this still looks like a nice upgrade from the XT2 for me. I'll be replacing one of my XT2's with a XH1 when I return to the US shortly.

Chris

24 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Two dials to do something as basic as changing shutter speed is just too much! And I’m guessing no shutter angle option either. 

What I did with the XT2 was when I was doing stills, I'd just use Auto or one of the other presets on the dial. When I was doing video, I just whacked the dial to "T" which would stay on 1/50th. Or id change it to 100th on the rare occasion Id shoot 50p.

The XH1 has the silent touch screen mode where you can set all the exposure settings on the screen. And also it seems you can set picture options separately between photo and video, and have different settings for each profile.  

2 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

(...)

Though I'm disappointed by the lack of zebras as well, this still looks like a nice upgrade from the XT2 for me. I'll be replacing one of my XT2's with a XH1 when I return to the US shortly.

Chris

Pardon me, Chris and Jon, but it is too little to be disappointed. As Jon wisely pointed out earlier above:

Cinematographers or DoPs use light meters! :-)

I think the competition is the determining factor not on features, but release.  Gotta hurry up and make some shit to stay in the game.  Canon doesn’t seem to care when Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, etc come out with something..  Let Nikon release a shoulder strap though...  lol. I guess if we’re going to be 8-bit in 2018 (?).  Fuji’s straight-off-the-card image is one of the best imo.  Beautiful color science.

20 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

BTW, where are you Don? @webrunner5

I don't think I will comment on this new Fuji. I have no desire to buy it, so I am not going to investigate every detail of it, so my opinion would not be based on all the facts.

It looks pretty nice, but I don't think from what I have seen they went far enough. But they did a least made an effort. So good for Fuji Fans.

9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't think I will comment on this new Fuji. I have no desire to buy it, so I am not going to investigate every detail of it, so my opinion would not be based on all the facts.

It looks pretty nice, but I don't think from what I have seen they went far enough. But they did a least made a effort. So good for Fuji Fans.

Have you seen that Portuguese clip? I find the highlight rolloff of this camera (and eventually from other Fujis) particularly above the hybrids average! Much better than Panny to my eyes (E :-)

PS: Kudos to Mattias (among others); the young fellow has been on spot ;-)

• Super Members
35 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What do you imagine a X-H10 would be like? What would they cut?

If you look at the X-T2 and X-T20 as the barometer for it then its just slightly less of everything in each department.

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/fuji-xt2-and-xt20/

Less robust, less custom functions, less magnification in the viewfinder, less FPS, less boost functionality as it doesn't have the grip, no F-LOG, less record time and so on.

But if you can live with that, you're getting the same image for a hefty saving. 

The compromises they've made on the junior model are smart ones and don't make it any less usable (i.e. they haven't buried everything in menus) and its small form factor is actually a plus for me for some stuff. 

So, for me, if they could just continue that process of giving you most of the good stuff into the H range then I think if they made an X-H20 that had IBIS, the new film emulation and F-LOG external then that would be a good compromise. If they made you buy a grip (which they don't make for the X-T20) as a dongle of sorts to unlock F-LOG internal and higher frame rates then it would offer the option to add a bit more if you needed it without cannibalising sales of the bigger one unduly.

They need to get people in the game really and like the GH5 has a lot of ex G7/GX80 owners who traded up then Fuji need to build that pathway as well as its still not a goto brand for video shooters and whilst its very competitively priced its a big commitment if you're already invested in another system.

For anyone who is looking to get into the system, the X-T20 at some of the used prices I've seen them going for is a bargain.