Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

26 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

If only there was an option in the market that had those things. Sadly we have to get by with what's available.

So. Extra video crop, no headphone jack and 15 minute record limit. For being targeted at video shooters they sure has a funny way of showing it.

Even NX1 has all these video attributes and more. The H265 codec reaches (or exceeds) the 200Mbps H264 threshold too. Records 78min continuous by the way, and it is much smaller and lighter.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

So. Extra video crop, no headphone jack and 15 minute record limit. For being targeted at video shooters they sure has a funny way of showing it.

Even NX1 has all these video attributes and more. The H254 codec reaches (or exceeds) the 200Mbps H264 threshold too. Records 78min continuous by the way, and it is much smaller and lighter.

Yes but then you loose the things that the Fuji brings to the table. Even the old X-T1 has things that Samsung couldn't implement in the NX1. I guess they where asleep.

(Did you see what I did there, I illustrated the difference in needs and wants. For many there are features on for example the NX1 that immediately breaks the deal. Same thing with the GH5. Not all cameras are suposed to do exactly everything. There is room for variants.)

• Super Members

The battery grip gives you the headphone jack and extends the record time to 30 minutes like the X-T2 though.

It boosts the AF performance and reduces blanking time as well and having the extra 2 batteries are a bit of a must if you're using it heavily.

I was a bit skeptical at first about it for my X-T2s (read 'annoyed at having to pay more money') but its been a boon and the extra advantage is being able to take it off when I don't need the extra horsepower and making the camera smaller.

Another bonus is it has the 9v input for external powering.

I'd consider it a must have if you were buying the X-H1 to be honest.

56 minutes ago, Brother said:

I’ll start hyping the X-T3 instead :) 

the headphone jack, 15mn limit & battery life are dealt with the mandatory booster grip. it's still a hybrid camera, so nice to be able to make it lighter when just shooting stills.  edit: BTM_Pix beat me to it!

the extra crop is only when shooting 4K and is x1.17. you can add a $100 kipon speedbooster/focal reducer, slap on some EF/Nikon glass and get close to FF look..

speaking of kipon, they're soon releasing smart adapters with AF for EF: https://www.fujirumors.com/kipon-announces-3-canon-ef-fujifilm-fx-gfx-autofocus-adapters/

Don’t get me wrong I love the Fuji system and have no gripe against the current lineup. I can even understand to some extent that the reasonably small X-T2 has a booster grip that adds headphone jack and extended record time. But when they release a larger body camera that is clearly targeted at video shooters they should have been able to include those features in the body.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

The battery grip gives you the headphone jack and extends the record time to 30 minutes like the X-T2 though.

It boosts the AF performance and reduces blanking time as well and having the extra 2 batteries are a bit of a must if you're using it heavily.

I was a bit skeptical at first about it for my X-T2s (read 'annoyed at having to pay more money') but its been a boon and the extra advantage is being able to take it off when I don't need the extra horsepower and making the camera smaller.

Another bonus is it has the 9v input for external powering.

I'd consider it a must have if you were buying the X-H1 to be honest.

Ah good to see you back BTM_Pix :)

I do agree the grip is a bit of a must-have.

The Fuji lenses with IBIS will be a joy.

I am just not sure they cured the biggest ills of the X-T2 like I expected of them... Maybe the extra crop in video mode exists to reduce rolling shutter - if it's the same sensor as the A6500, that would be much needed. Don't like the Drive dial with movie mode shoehorned into it. Don't like the locks on the ISO and shutter dials. Samsung NX1 all the way for me ergonomically, any day.

Some more thoughts:

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/02/fuji-x-h1-got-wrong/

The interface seems like a mess according to Richard Butler.

Ok I just read up and yes I've seen the cinema5d video (although at the time I didn't realise it was cinema5d).

Yeah there are a few gripes here and there but overall the camera seems to do a lot of things really, really well. As someone who's used a lot of different cameras, I know what I like and don't like. And what features are important to me. And this camera basically ticks every box. Except I hope they one day make one that's smaller and lower cost.