Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W06cc9PB49M

wtf lol - thats a weird way to advertise your new camera just saying fuji. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaAJ0FWlNrw

This one looks good though.

The first video - the motion cadence doesn’t look right. 

All the videos so far... may be I’m talking too soon... in any case, please give the cameras to someone more capable. It’s not showcasing its capabilities - colours are bad.

I will wait to see what Andrew has to say when he compares it against the 1DC and the D850

5 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

the dude from the first video said in his review, that he doesn‘t do video, he just put the camera in video mode and let it record. Probably with very short shutter times, that‘s the way photographers do video :grimace:

Ye but then they have the fuji logo at the end of the film. Not sure what they are thinking here. Get it to some professionals for review.

Here is one shot with the new film profile, which can do 12 stops.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUcKd8HNqvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhvY721BB7c

lowlight test for good measure.

• Super Members

We have this discussion every time. Camera companies with Panasony included WANTS the video looking early crappy promotional footage. They want to show what the camera does on its own without any thought or post process. 

There are of course exceptions like blackmagic and to some extent the GH5. But otherwise it always looks like crap in the promotionals. And every time we wait for actual users and are forced to change our minds. I just hope we could start sparring ourselves the same old discussion.

It comes with a guard for the HDMI cable and you can switch your Fuji lens focus rings from linear to nonlinear, which might come in handy.

I still prefer the LCD display on the GH5, and the video prioritized information display is far more useful to me than the shoulder display on the X-H1. It looks like the X-H1 doesn’t depart significantly from the philosophy of the X-T2 as far as the display is concerned. 

378E5725-A90F-457B-BB79-7DAED7A62D9C.jpeg

2507C19C-150B-481D-BE7F-FC6003DE5065.jpeg

Appreciate the Cinema5D one the most so far, because he mentions the expected bugs - distorted audio monitoring, focus assist not returning to full view after checking focus in manual mode, camera freezes when adjusting audio levels with an external mic attached, when tapping on touch screen to focus, sometimes the camera will unexpectedly start recording instead. Still no mention of the most critical of features for videographers - ample exposure tools.

55 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Appreciate the Cinema5D one the most so far, because he mentions the expected bugs - distorted audio monitoring, focus assist not returning to full view after checking focus in manual mode, camera freezes when adjusting audio levels with an external mic attached, when tapping on touch screen to focus, sometimes the camera will unexpectedly start recording instead. Still no mention of the most critical of features for videographers - ample exposure tools.

Yeah, I've always found Johnnie's reviews pretty honest BTW as much as a Fuji's camera is invariably a unique tool to say the least... Hard to not fall in love! (E :-)

Seems they've pulled a G9 with the feather touch shutter and top display. Otherwise... much needed IBIS, although they only specify it working with FUJINON lenses without stabilization (doesn't neccessarily exclude third party lenses though?). No 4K60p... could be forgiven for that. Atleast touchscreen is there, but it isn't a front-facing one. F-LOG is internal now (I believe), but according the accessory image for headphone monitoring you'd still need the battery grip. Bit of a mixed bag... we'll have to see what they're squeezing out of that sensor now and how well IBIS and C-AF performs. Despite some inconveniences it could be a rather solid option at a better launch price than the GH5 and GH5S. But I'm not sure if I'm willing to switch systems for it, time will have to tell.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Are you sure? Could you share a link? 

Like its sibling, the X-H1 offers a series of focus peaking options (color and intensity) but no zebra warnings for setting exposure, beyond the 'Live View Highlight Warning' option  - dpreview

so like the X-T2 with the newest firmware, it only shows overexposure, but you can't specify the limit, so you can't use it to get the skin tones into the right zone or whatever people use zebras for 

Really enjoyed this video here: 

not much to see, but what he says about his experience with the camera, especially the new Eterna simulation with 12 stops DR sounds very nice.