Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I'd have been really excited by this announcement last year but my X-T2 experiment has by and large wound down now in terms of it being a viable complete replacement system for my stills work so I'm probably about to walk out of the same door as a lot of people will be walking in with regard to Fuji.

And I think this will get a lot more people through their door to be honest.

Curious to know whether they'll do an X-H10 version a few months down the track in the X-T1/X-T2 to X-T10/X-T20 tradition.

That one would probably get me back in.

Only a few hours away from the official announcement. 

I anticipate lots of blogs like newsshooter and cinema5d to have some video tests and reviews since neither of them have covered the leaks. Nofilmschool and Andrew here obviously covered it so they aren’t under any NDA. should be an interesting camera and a welcome tool to have in our arsenal. Kinotika will pre order it and I’ll be doing reviews on it so let me know any specific things you want to see. 

I'd say Fuji is reacting pretty quickly considering this is only going to be their second serious attempt towards videographers on a hybrid camera and that they don't even have high-end pro video departments like Canon, Sony, Panasonic etc..

I'm particularly looking forward to DCI 4K & 2K at 200mbps (which btw is something even Sony's current flagship mirrorless aren't offering).

7 minutes ago, Django said:

I'd say Fuji is reacting pretty quickly considering this is only going to be their second serious attempt towards videographers on a hybrid camera and that they don't even have high-end pro video departments like Canon, Sony, Panasonic etc..

I'm particularly looking forward to DCI 4K & 2K at 200mbps (which btw is something even Sony's current flagship mirrorless aren't offering).

None of the Cameras that we usually look at have DCI 2K.... remember the Blackmagic 2.5K cinema camera... and the  cinematic IQ that was putting out?

Yeah, wish more cameras would do that. Also because you can up the framerates of non-4K-but-still-more-than-FHD-footage. Like 2K or 2.5K/100p or whatever. Or even just 60p at 2K when some cameras can't quite make 60p work at 4K. 2K or 2.5K gives you that edge and flexibility over 1080p. Though, I've been saying that for the longest time now. GoPro embraced the different resolutions, but camera manufacturers in general don't see anything between 1080p and 2160p it seems. Even Blackmagic themselves... the 2.5K was merely a happy accident or something I feel like.

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

I just read through the brochure and was hoping to see something stating that the rolling shutter performance was improved. Do we know if this camera could have better rolling shutter in 4K than the XT2? 

They're claiming faster EVF and AF performance which indicates there's untapped power in the XT2's processor, but I think we're still limited by the readout speed of the sensor. Unless they've discovered some voodoo, I think it won't happen until the XT3. But you never know....

5 hours ago, mkabi said:

None of the Cameras that we usually look at have DCI 2K.... remember the Blackmagic 2.5K cinema camera... and the  cinematic IQ that was putting out?

Is such a small difference between 2K and 1080, wish BMPCC had 2K for instance

4 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, wish more cameras would do that. Also because you can up the framerates of non-4K-but-still-more-than-FHD-footage. Like 2K or 2.5K/100p or whatever. Or even just 60p at 2K when some cameras can't quite make 60p work at 4K. 2K or 2.5K gives you that edge and flexibility over 1080p. Though, I've been saying that for the longest time now. GoPro embraced the different resolutions, but camera manufacturers in general don't see anything between 1080p and 2160p it seems. Even Blackmagic themselves... the 2.5K was merely a happy accident or something I feel like.

yeah the 2.5K just happened probably because that was the particular sensor they could get which matched all the other specs they wanted, and didn't care so much if the resolution was a little odd ball

12 stops when recording with eterna film simulation and dynamic range optimization. Eterna LUT for Flog. Wondering about Flog dynamic range. Since the non log is 12 stops, it might be 13 stops

nearly all settings are now possible to be set seperatly for video. Also new shutter speeds like 1/24s, 1/48s and so on. 

it really looks very nice! Footage out of the X-T2 was gorgeous, with the X-H1 we get very nice controls and IBIS. I guess for 4K 60p and 10bit it will need a new sensor