Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Andrew Benton This is exactly the argument @Mattias Burling did with the T3i, but on the other way! 

If one can make a professional videography career out of a T3i (is this the 600?) in 2018, then surely one can make a photography one with the GH5!

That noone of these cameras are the appropriate tool for the jobs you have suggested, T3i for video, and GH5 for photography hasn't passed through your minds?

In the end, I thought we all here agree that anyone can use whatever for his own pleasure and work. I do not understand what is so bad about a GH5, while a T3i is so special.

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

Not sure whether I'll be getting the X-H1 or not yet, but I went ahead and ordered a few X-mounts for my Veydras this afternoon, just in case!

Nice! I use the Nikon Bourne 28-70/2.8 as a hack cine lens because it produces a nice image, its fast and relatively cheap. If I were looking at cine lenses I'd be really tempted to try the Fuji MK, but those are far less stealthy than a small prime like the Veydra. I guess you could swap mounts and use them on the GH5 as well.

Chris

9 hours ago, anonim said:

Completely agree. But, please, leave apodictic tone behind - "Internet is a comedy at times!!" - I think it's quite enough to have one uber-patriarch here in EOSHD in the incarnation of Mr webrunner and his majestic knowledge/intonation...

I had indoor and outdoor shots needed to be put in sequence... because of hard difference between lights and wb they are too noticable and distractively different... with 10bit HLG footage of GH5 I had more room to get them closer in look... 8bit slow motion futage didn't afford it, colors are quickly destroyed.

Yes, we can shot in 8bit whole movie... but have to be extremely accurate... or to relay to argument that people don't notice imperfections.

And to add heresy thought - although highly pleasent and brilliantly mesmerizing, Fuji's color science for me looks as hyper realistic approach to pictures: excellent for photos, but calling too much attention to itself for the longer time, as in case of movies. Of course, just mine opinion and taste, which probably differ from the most other...

Internet is a double-edged sword. People tend to take opinion for fact. Half part, even worse when not nonsense (let's keep it civil :D) for facts. There's no other way to let it somehow expressed in order to avoid the misinformation effect. Or plague will be a solid dictionary entry for inaccuracy.

BTW, I find (more often than the contrary) Don's input pretty on the spot. I got your call though. The question is we have here people from very different ages and courses of life, experience and so on. Patience too! LOL Hence the matter. Typical of boards.

:-)

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Did this guy see the leaked specs sheet?

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-h1-full-german-press-release-specs-leaked-price-1899-fujfilm-x-t20-gfx-firmware-coming/#disqus_thread

I'm sure he will be happy with most of the issues addressed, but now Im kind of worried with the second card slot not being able to record video (FTW??)

He’s an experienced photographer quite familiar with Fuji. The audio meters pretty useless, check. Recording stopping, check. No fully articulating screen, check. Tiny hand grip. Image far too contrasty out of the box. When my X-T2 arrived, it didn’t have a histogram or zebras. No way for me to check proper exposure when shooting video. I couldn’t monitor with the LCD if I initiated recording while viewing through the EVF. AF-C was much faster and more accurate than my GH5 in video mode, but the transitions were so abrupt that some clips were still unusable as a result. The vertical power booster was a necessity, but made shooting with a single-handed gimbal or putting in a cage somewhat impossible. Some issues have been fixed through firmware updates. I think like anybody who’s handled a Fuji, we love the colors, the build quality and so on, but so many quirks! Take the lenses for example. I’ve got a half-dozen I believe. They’re all superb. But many have run into problems with things like the stepping that he demonstrates in the video. They could at least have bumped up the resolution on the LCD - as it stands, it doesn’t exactly scream premium to me. So, far from perfection. It’s to be hoped that not only are those problems solved, but that the X-H1 has a full size HDMI out and no issues recording 4K F-Log out to the BMD Video Assist or the Atomos Inferno My first shoot with the Fuji, I’m looking all over for zebras and histogram, poring over the menus, finally give up, press record and bam! no image on the LCD. An hour going through the menus again. Till I learned there was nothing I could do about it. So yeah - faster AF, better low light sensitivity are all well and good, but the overall shooting experience was not - for me anyhow. Image quality is one thing, but when you’re out on a shoot, handling and reliability are number one.

15 hours ago, Kisaha said:

In the end, I thought we all here agree that anyone can use whatever for his own pleasure and work. I do not understand what is so bad about a GH5, while a T3i is so special.

I didn't say the GH5 was bad, it's just not as great for still photography, what is there not to understand in the listed issues I had with it?
My very first wedding I shot was with a T1i and although I got the job done with it there were drawbacks, I later got a 5DIII and it served all my photography needs perfectly. One can very well build a photography career from using a GH5, but it just didn't suite my personal needs in the event photography setting. I still got nearly 2000 usable photos, but I also had many missed shots, that's not acceptable to me.

But I still LOVE the GH5 for video, and that's what most other people talk about here, NOT about it's photography side, I was disappointed in the camera not living up to its potential as a true hybrid camera that can do both photography and video well (don't we all want the perfect hybrid). We're all free to use what we want, you can go ahead and use an iPhone for photo/video work and if you get the job done then great!

7 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Nice! I use the Nikon Bourne 28-70/2.8 as a hack cine lens because it produces a nice image, its fast and relatively cheap. If I were looking at cine lenses I'd be really tempted to try the Fuji MK, but those are far less stealthy than a small prime like the Veydra. I guess you could swap mounts and use them on the GH5 as well.

Chris

Right, that's the plan.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

It’s to be hoped that not only are those problems solved, but that the X-H1 has a full size HDMI out

Would be surprised if there is another stills camera with full size HDMI released this year (other than the GH series, which has already happened). 

But one can keep on hoping! :-)

On 2/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, Yurolov said:

Just like Casey Nesitat left the GH5 for the Canon 6d Mark II

In this case, Canon gave him money and the camera. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Benton said:

I didn't say the GH5 was bad, it's just not as great for still photography, what is there not to understand in the listed issues I had with it?
My very first wedding I shot was with a T1i and although I got the job done with it there were drawbacks, I later got a 5DIII and it served all my photography needs perfectly. One can very well build a photography career from using a GH5, but it just didn't suite my personal needs in the event photography setting. I still got nearly 2000 usable photos, but I also had many missed shots, that's not acceptable to me.

But I still LOVE the GH5 for video, and that's what most other people talk about here, NOT about it's photography side, I was disappointed in the camera not living up to its potential as a true hybrid camera that can do both photography and video well (don't we all want the perfect hybrid). We're all free to use what we want, you can go ahead and use an iPhone for photo/video work and if you get the job done then great!

I'm just curious how you managed to miss so many shots; my experience for situations using AF-S is that the Panasonics are very good. I used a GH3 for a couple of events (not my type of photography even) and it acquitted itself very well.

56 minutes ago, leeys said:

In this case, Canon gave him money and the camera. 

That's your assumption unless you can provide a link :). Actually before he switched he had a try of the GH5s and I guess it wasn't to his liking. The fact that he didn't promote the 6d makes me think he wasn't paid, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what the specs are for HDMI out? Haven't seen them listed anywhere.  

I’d like to see proof that Casey was paid by Canon myself. But I’m guessing we’ll never see any because most likely,  it’s a completely manufactured story. Actually, I don’t want to have to fact-check every rumor here - most of us don’t have the time or inclination, Just back up the claims with some evidence. 

6 hours ago, mercer said:

@jonpais And yet your best footage posted on this forum was shot with a Fuji... those bastards and their lack of zebras. ?

There is now a highlight control blinking feature on the X-T2. I guess the X-H1 will get it too?

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Would be surprised if there is another stills camera with full size HDMI released this year (other than the GH series, which has already happened). 

It does not have one

5a829969caea9_Bildschirmfoto2018-02-12um20_33_04.thumb.png.a26bae0f13c601fcf82a0e488d135d4a.png