Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Eno said:

@Andrew Reid: "A first for a Fuji camera, F-LOG with Rec.2020 colour"

Rec. 2020 defines a bit depth of either 10-bits per sample or 12-bits per sample, have I missed the 10 bit output somewhere in the specs? :confused:

Maybe you just haven't used the A7R III. BT2020 is an option alongside Rec.709 in the Hybrid Log Gamma picture profile, 8bit.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

So you need the battery grip and 5 extra batteries to match the GH5 4K recording time with the one standard battery ? 

That is a price premium of around 600 euro ...

Kind of a straw man argument, don't you think? You have to pay for Vlog, which brings the GH5 to about the same price as the XH1 with the grip - at least in the US. And unless you only shoot with a single battery for the GH5 for all of eternity - which seems unlikely - you're still spending roughly the same amount of cash once you add Panasonic batteries to the mix. So do you want 10-bit and 60p with the GH5, or a larger sensor, much better hybrid AF, cleaner files at higher ISO's, much better stills, better color profiles and more DR from Fuji? If you shoot stills and video, the Fuji is a much better choice IMO. YMMV.

Its good to have options. 

46 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe you just haven't used the A7R III. BT2020 is an option alongside Rec.709 in the Hybrid Log Gamma picture profile, 8bit.

No I haven't used it, but by definition Rec. 2020 is a wider color space (which needs more bit depth than 8 bit).

26 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Kind of a straw man argument, don't you think? You have to pay for Vlog, which brings the GH5 to about the same price as the XH1 with the grip - at least in the US. And unless you only shoot with a single battery for the GH5 for all of eternity - which seems unlikely - you're still spending roughly the same amount of cash once you add Panasonic batteries to the mix. So do you want 10-bit and 60p with the GH5, or a larger sensor, much better hybrid AF, cleaner files at higher ISO's, much better stills, better color profiles and more DR from Fuji? If you shoot stills and video, the Fuji is a much better choice IMO. YMMV.

Its good to have options. 

How are you going to charge 6 batteries, while using another 6 for the next 1h of continuous shoot ? Are they boing to be full when that hour has passed ?

You will need 18 of them, instead of 3-4 for the Panasonic. Of course, if that is not your scenario, no problem.

How this is a straw man's argument leaves me at a complete loss of words. I was making a point: if you need battery life, life will get expensive and complicat at the same time. Useless to some. Cleaner at high ISO, I don't know, some article about the sensor tech would indicate there is a problem ?

24 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

So :

- no 4k50

- no 10bits (Meanning FLOG is useless)

- recording time limited (one battery for 20mn in FHD ? Really ?)

Not for me :angry:

Loads of people use SLOG on 8bit codecs... even the Canon C200 is 8bit only with CLOG.

Its not one battery per 20 mins. Its just a record time limit for each continuous recording 

43 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

How are you going to charge 6 batteries, while using another 6 for the next 1h of continuous shoot ? Are they boing to be full when that hour has passed ?

You will need 18 of them, instead of 3-4 for the Panasonic. Of course, if that is not your scenario, no problem.

How this is a straw man's argument leaves me at a complete loss of words. I was making a point: if you need battery life, life will get expensive and complicat at the same time. Useless to some. Cleaner at high ISO, I don't know, some article about the sensor tech would indicate there is a problem ?

What are you talking about? You don't need 6 batteries for one hour of recording. I did a overheating test when I first got the XT2, recorded an hour of video with consecutive takes and still had charge in the single battery I was using. Strawman.

SMH.

Interesting that some are still making the argument that this camera is ideal if you're shooting 50/50 stills/video (or some percentage thereof), when this was supposed to be a straight-up video shooter's dream. I'm not saying they're wrong, but feature and spec-wise, on paper at least, this does fall behind a couple of other manufacturers in the video department. It addresses many of the faults of the X-T2, but time has moved on and Fuji still seems to be playing catch up. The crop factor isn't a deal breaker for me, but again, no extra crop in 4K would have been desirable. The body's chunkier than the X-T2, it certainly wouldn't have hurt to pair it with some longer-life batteries. Any accessory is going to compound the chances of failure, and the battery grip is no exception. It also makes fitting the camera with a cage or flying on a gimbal a bit problematic! A true video-centric camera should have both headphone and mic inputs for sure. Since I use the LCD exclusively for video, it would've been nice to have a bigger pixel count. It's to be hoped they include a waveform monitor and zebras this time around, too. I'm also in the 10-bit camp, regardless of what Sony and Canon are doing, especially since my interest in HDR. I'm heavily invested in Fuji lenses, so I have a vested interest in Fuji's success. Will it have a touch screen? Will Fuji ever fix the issue with the remote app only recording 720p?  :) The lack of IBIS, zebras, a fully articulating touch screen, a functioning remote app, short battery life and a number of other factors are why my X-T2 has sat in a dry box for almost a year, while I shot almost exclusively with the G85 and then the GH5. 

19 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

What are you talking about? You don't need 6 batteries for one hour of recording. I did a overheating test when I first got the XT2, recorded an hour of video with consecutive takes and still had charge in the single battery I was using. Strawman.

SMH.

The thread is not about the XT2. The preliminary (?) specs of the x-h1 say clearly 15min of 4K, 30 min with the battery grip. Meaning, if you need 1h battery time, you will fail with just 4 batteries.

4 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

The thread is not about the XT2. The preliminary (?) specs of the x-h1 say clearly 15min of 4K, 30 min with the battery grip. Meaning, if you need 1h battery time, you will fail with just 4 batteries.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. The battery grip enables extra recording time, as a feature just like it did on the XT2. Not because it gives you more battery. 

5 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

The specs you're quoting are for record time limits, not battery life. So no you don't need 4 batteries to record one hour.

• Super Members

Spec and features wise its way ahead of the GH5 for stills and close enough in video. At least for my needs. But time will tell, wont know anything until I have tried it.

Panasonic have nice video but in the stills department they are always playing catch up. Olympus is ahead imo.

34 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

Thats not what it means. You are reading it wrong.

Sorry, I read it wrong ... My mind put not so good battery life (?) and the 15min limit together. What I do not understand is, why does twice the battery double the 4K recording time ? Does the grip function as an extra heatsink ?

Anyway, the 30min recording limit on the Gx80 is what bothers me most, I need unlimited recording.

Could this be the X-H1 with an X-H1s to follow later ;-). The latter to answer all the 10bit 422 and Cinema 4K 60fps dreams! It never ends right...

Shame HDMI out is not 422 10bit perhaps with also the possibility for 4K 60FPS. Or then again, depending on who is talking, 8bit vs. 10bit F-Log is or isn't an issue!

For me... the 15 min. time limit is not a big deal. Most of my takes and cuts are within a couple of seconds, max. 10 to 15 of dialogue, but nobody has the attention span to watch something in one single angle and/or one scene for 15 min straight.

Man... the GH5 & GH5S really ruins things.... I come from a more modest background.... remember the good old days? lol... that wasn't even that long ago....

Canon 5D mark 2 - had only 12 min recording limit.... remember that?

It only had 1080p at 8 bit 4:2:0 too

This is definitely a huge departure from that....

Not anywhere close to the GH5/GH5S though.

I have to agree with Jonpais that since this is advertised as a more video oriented camera it's a little let down... However... in my eyes... this is a true hybrid the photography aspects don't outshine the video aspects and vice versa. Whereas in the X-T2 and in fact, all their cameras... photography is primary use... video is an after thought.

I might get 2 of these.... one for myself and secondary one for the wifey.... depending on what else is on the market by the end of NAB 2018. I might even wait till photokina 2018 (is it a photokina year?). I will definitely have to wait for some reviews.... 

Hey Andrew.... please review this camera!

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Eno said:

No I haven't used it, but by definition Rec. 2020 is a wider color space (which needs more bit depth than 8 bit).

Well Sony and Fuji's engineers clearly disagree.

It works in 8bit. Clear advantage over Rec.709 colour profiles.

I've used it and seen the difference for myself. It isn't a 10bit-only colour space.

S-Gamut is also a wide colour space, and that can be compressed to 8bit as well.