Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/02/fuji-x-h1-cinema-4k-200mbit-hybrid-camera-ibis-rival-gh5/

A Fuji "A6500" basically, but in a bigger body.

However it does have Fuji's colour science and ergonomics.

And the A6500 was already pretty cool.

Then there are the lenses - they're better as well.

I think it's not to be sniffed at... But it falls short of the GH5 and GH5S in terms of overall feature-set and codec. Should have had 10bit.

Higher bitrate, Flog internal, DCI, 120fps, better controls, bigger grip, touchscreen, high spec EVF - they're making great strides considering its only been a little more than a year and a half since 4k first appeared in a Fuji body.

And they're finally releasing the MK Cine lenses in X-mount.

Chris

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

At least they're "trying"? And ahead of Canon! :-P (for some people)

True! I also said that they have "decency"! Fuji is a well respected company with a lot of passionate people working there. I follow them closely and always read interviews and their opinions. They have the will, they just don't have the resources. 

Unfortunately for Fuji, in this race there are other horses too, and no one will wait for them to reach 2018 specs, a couple of years later.

Edit: I would buy this instead of the a6500 any day. That's not even close in my opinion.

Flog will be native to the sensor so the image quality should be leagues ahead of the a6500, 10 bit or not. Then there is the better ergonomics, the lenses and the price point. I think this should directly compete with the GH5 and is much better than anything Sony has offered up.  

Unfortunately the Fuji 16-55mm 2.8 lens in the picture is $1,199 vs $829 for the Canon 17-55mm 2.8.

I haven't perused the rest of the lens lineup but if you have to pay almost 50% more for their lenses that's a deal breaker for me.  The body might be okay but I can't get invested in a system that expensive... and niche.  So many things cater to the EF mount.  And then the glass is cheaper on top of that.

15 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

Unfortunately the Fuji 16-55mm 2.8 lens in the picture is $1,199 vs $829 for the Canon 17-55mm 2.8.

I haven't perused the rest of the lens lineup but if you have to pay almost 50% more for their lenses that's a deal breaker for me.  The body might be okay but I can't get invested in a system that expensive... and niche.  So many things cater to the EF mount.  And then the glass is cheaper on top of that.

Not many third party lenses for Fujifilm yet-the Canon/Nikon guys can go even cheaper and lighter  Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 US $290

4 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

Not many third party lenses for Fujifilm yet-the Canon/Nikon guys can go even cheaper and lighter  Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 US $290

I got ripped off!

Lol.  Actually I don't think that was out when I bought the Canon.  Damn.  I wonder what the optical quality is like?  And the image stabilization.  The Canon is supposed to be pretty good.

25 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

Canon AF adapters are now out for Fuji. Plus Canon 17mm is not nearly as wide as a 16mm on a Fuji body either since the Fuji has less crop and 16mm is wider than 17mm. And how many high quality APS-c lenses does Canon have outside the excellent 17-55? Remind me which Canon APS-c body has IBIS? Shoots 4k? 120fps? Or even actual 1080p? But there's always DPAF, the 5d4's massive 4k crop and goofy file sizes....

Not trying to be a dick, but if you're talking APS-c, there's really no comparison. Fuji wins hands down.

22 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

I saw today a Tokina 16-50 go for nearly 200, I was bidding on it... until I felt I got "too expensive"! :-P ha

15 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Canon AF adapters are now out for Fuji. Plus Canon 17mm is not nearly as wide as a 16mm on a Fuji body either since the Fuji has less crop and 16mm is wider than 17mm. And how many high quality APS-c lenses does Canon have outside the excellent 17-55? Remind me which Canon APS-c body has IBIS? Shoots 4k? 120fps? Or even actual 1080p? But there's always DPAF, the 5d4's massive 4k crop and goofy file sizes....

Not trying to be a dick, but if you're talking APS-c, there's really no comparison. Fuji wins hands down.

I'm sorry.

– 5-axis hand shake correction with effect of up to 5.5 steps
– Electronic front curtain shutter, electronic shutter
– 24.3 MP, X-Trans CMOS III sensor
– X-Processor PRO
– a rugged magnesium alloy body
– EVF is 3.69 million dots, the maximum framelet is 100 fps, the response is 0.005 seconds
– 3 inch 1.04 million dot touch type liquid crystal monitor
– Film Simulation ETERNA
– Cinema 4K 24 fps, 4 K 30 fps
– 120 fps slow motion video in full HD
– F-log (can be recorded on F-Log directly to SD card at 4K)
– Video bit rate up to 200 Mbps
– Built-in high-performance microphone
– Improvement of AF algorithm
– ISO 200 – 12800 (ISO100, 25600, 51200 in extension)
– Dual card slot
– Wifi

@ $1899, I'm in!

• Super Members

Seems like a great camera. For me personally a Fuji is a usable stills option in all scenarios I can think of. It rivals FF. Ive shot sports, portraits, doc, you name it with a X-Pro2 or X-T20.

So the stills department is in the bag. Not as a compromise but top notch imo.

If the intended usage of video is 50% or lower it is a great camera and I would probably love it. For something like 70% video I guess a GH5 would make more sense but anything higher than that and I rather have two cameras, one dedicated for video. But that's just me.

• Super Members

But is there an accessory that gives the GH5 manual controls, a proper tilt screen, bigger sensor and X-Trans...

If power consumption is important then this might not be the camera for you. For me its somewhere in the bottom of a long list of things I look for in a camera.

6 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Don't look at the Sony lineup then :joy: or the micro four thirds one either for that matter! The Olympus 12-40 is $800.  It's a nice lens but 2.8 on m43 just doesn't look as nice as 2.8 on aps-c. The Panasonic 12mm f1.4 is $1300. The Fuji 16mm f1.4 is $1000. 

Of the three mirrorless brands (Sony Fuji and m43), Fuji actually has some of the cheapest lenses (when comparing lenses of equivalent focal length and aperture). 

Trying to make comparisons with canon is difficult really because they don't put out crop sensor lenses.  I'm still waiting for their 35mm equivalent in f2 or larger aperture. 

One thing that bothers me about this camera... It's so f*cling ugly!

Also it's still using a 3 inch 1million dot LCD. Give us 3.2 inch OLED with more pixels please!

Also still has that awkward switch to video mode. Although I got used to that pretty quickly on the XT2. 

2 hours ago, Eno said:

@Andrew Reid: "A first for a Fuji camera, F-LOG with Rec.2020 colour"

Rec. 2020 defines a bit depth of either 10-bits per sample or 12-bits per sample, have I missed the 10 bit output somewhere in the specs? :confused:

It records in the color space defined by Rec.2020, just like the X-T2 (with external recorder). The X-T2 is 8bit only, and I'm afraid the same is true for the X-H1, which is very unfortunate.