Fuji X-H1. IBIS, Phase Detect 4K beast?

Dave Maze

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Camera Store TV thinks it is crap?

Perfect! Now if everyone else in this thread can shut up about how good it might be, and instead go on about surely how total shit this camera must be, then @Mattias Burling will be certain to come along and review this camera with lots of reasons to convince us why it is an awesome camera! ;-)

The last missing part of the jigsaw!

I'd take a Pentax 645Z in a heart beat if offered at the right price!

(already own the original Pentax 645)

Pentax 645 is shit in this day and age. Film is dead people! There is Phase One, Hassy, Fuji and Pentax in that order for MF cameras. And that is the order of how good they are also. Pentax is last just like in the DSLR market.

And all those cameras in the Camera Store test all had the same disadvantage like people on here like to call it. Well guess what Pentax sucked balls. It was last.

8 hours ago, Django said:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/26299-fuji-x-h1-new-apsc-video-oriented-camera/

latest specs sound great!

i remember that shootout.. so unscientific with different lenses on each body.. and such weird "test shots" .. brown foliage, a baby & fruit lol.. 

anyways Fuji came in 4th btw.. Pentax 8th.. it's all pretty subjective though (aside from iPhone lol)

as a recent Fuji convert (XT2) after spending years on Canikon i must say i'm very satisfied with the Fuji X experience & results both in stills & video.

what sets Fuji X apart are 2 things: X-trans sensor which eliminates chroma noise and gives a more filmic luma noise at high ISO & the film simulations which make use of Fuji's extensive knowledge in film color science. their AWB is also second to none, nailing even the most difficult mixed light situations.

Good God the iPhone beat it in a few shots. Give me a break about how good it is. X-Tran is the worse thing they ever came up with. Their normal Bayer Sensors cameras look better than the wonky colors on the X-Trans ones. They are clown colors, not natural looking like a Canon or Nikon.

10 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

According to my test conducted here on the forum Ricoh-Pentax won with a huge margin.

Also, a color test with a brown thumbnail isnt very reassuring ;)

Your test included a Sigma Quattro, probably the worse camera Ever made for colors and 1 shot a minute speed. By the way I like them. A Leica that well cost more than the rest of them combined, and has not been known for the best digital colors, B&W well yeah, and a Fuji. No wonder the GR won! All those cameras are the LAST ones I would wont if I Had to own one. They are all Old tech on the end of their lives as a camera company. Fuji Might survive. Only one.

Hell most of those cameras don't even do video. Why the hell would I want a damn stills camera at all, let alone one that doesn't do video, or if it does, like the Fuji does, pretty piss poor video at that. You guys act like you are 90 years old living in 1970. If I want a stills camera it will say Canon or Nikon on it.

Hell a iPhone 10 and a Samsung Note 8 make all those cameras LOOK like they Are from 1970. Like I have said before, there are some funny people on here. ehh this is 2018, repeat after me, 2018, 2018.

You guys ought to get together and open a Antique shop!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Why all this hate? Did Kodak and Pentax beat you up in school or something? ;)

Why get upset over what color or flavor of ice cream one prefers. Im never gonna understand that mentality. Its just seems like such a waste of energy.

(Ps. You don't get to tell me what is"best" and except me to blindly agree. Its only your personal opinion and isn't more right or wrong than mine.)

You are the oldest young person I have ever met. 2018, 2018. I think you are jealous, envious of the stuff people had my age years ago. Think Sony, Sony.

Hey it was neat at the time, all we had, but it is old crap tech now.

Sure I get to tell you what is best. You seemed to have lost your bearing, your train of thought, drifting in the universe, lost in space. I am here to help you son. Just kidding.

I like the way you Roll as they say. Keep up the good work. You do interesting comparisons. Stuff I would have not thought about. Well, some I would like to forget I owned, but.

You are a lot like I was when I was young. I had a lot of money so I bought a lot of stuff. Lots of it. But the best way to go is to have one great thing in each category and hang on to it. You never get good at at of it, and sometimes the newest thing is not really the best. An Arri Alexa comes to mind as having one thing that is the best. They are cheap enough to buy now.

@webrunner5 came gunning and firing into 2018! or his 16 years old grand son hacked his account! Some of that is true thought, earlier digital cameras just can't compete in today's world. Of course anyone can use anything, and there is a niche for almost everything in this life (and world), negativity and aggression is not needed on tech forums! 

The fact is that Fuji has the best APS-C mirrorles lens selection and not much else really, also some glorious holes on that line up for videographers and modern and quick AF. Tere is a lot of work to be done (upgrading, replacing creating some lenses also), and not much of time. The JPG and film simulation excuses are just not enough to take you to the next decade. Most JPG engines are adequate these days (how many amateurs have you heard complaining and comparing JPG? they are just amazed that a non phone can take pictures, most of the time), and there are unlimited plug ins and settings that can achieve anything, anyone wants and needs.

In this new era of photo/videography data transfer rates, codecs, heat dissipation, etc are equal to color science and ergonomics. Arguably Sony managed to get a huge piece of the pie (beating Nikon in some instances and markets) with the worst ergonomics, heat dissipation, color science in industry, winning just on the specs list, and sensor technology. That took them to the next step (now) and (arguably!) they do better in all those with their newer cameras (A7mkIII/A9) and their future seems more established than most of the older players.

I am sure that whatever Fuji engineers had in their mind, they got scared after the GH5 and GH5s release. I had a lot of Fuji digital cameras in the past, but their ILC line just isn't good enough for a true hybrid (50%-50%) experience.

16 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

If there’s already an X-H1 thread let me know. I did a quick search and didn’t see one. 

I for one am really excited about this camera. Here are the rumored specs from Fujirumors: 

-Better AF than XT2

-IBIS that can work with OIS as well for dual IS. 

-Same sensor as XT2 with same slight crop on the sensor in 4K

-Internal F-Log

-Phase Detect AF in video! (Hopefully with face tracking enabled in 4K!)

-Top LCD 

-Internal 8bit 4:2:0 4K 

-Headphone Jack in body instead of on grip. 

February 15th  

IBIS alone is enough reason to get me excited about this camera. Not to mention the incredible color science and phase detect AF!! And all the incredible native lenses too. Really awesome. What do you guys think?

IBIS has me very interested in this camera as well. Supposedly AF is dramatically improved and EVF has a reduced blackout - though some of the rumored improvements seem odd since the sensor/processor is also rumored to be identical to the XT2. So ether there's a lot of untapped power in the XT2 (and a future FW update will really unleash the beast) or rumors are bunk. And you didn't mention another rumor - the bitrate for 4k has supposedly doubled.

Either way I'm shifting one of my XT2's and getting one - my favorite lenses - the 16-55, 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 will get instant stabilization andI don't need an external recorder or Flog. Whether its good enough to get me to part with Sony for good remains to be seen. IBIS is one of the reasons I haven't been able to shake Sony. 

One other point, this seems like an odd release at this time, a year ago it would make more sense, but the XT3 is supposed to be announced in another 6 months with a new processor, new sensor and so on. Seems like the XH1 with its range topping price tag will have a really short shelf life once the XT3 drops. If it were the camera that rolled out the new sensor/processor that would make a lot more sense IMO. Just seems odd....

Chris

hmm, still would love a ricoh gr. or a ep5 with the 17mm olympus. more than having a fuji.

@webrunner5 u silly cat. u were just goin surreal on us. why? that i do not know. maybe, because you have not shot your g7 for too long to see again what a kewl cam it is. we all get nuts after too long breaks from using our cameras. I know i do. tomorrow is a birthday party, i think i gonna shoot some photos there with my gx85 and the 20mm pancake, using it´s builtin flash and plastic photofilm shell for diffusion with some orange gel inside it. missing my gf1 for that, which i lent to somebody. Gonna watch me some classic Mattias Burling video now. cheers

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Pentax 645 is shit in this day and age. Film is dead people! There is Phase One, Hassy, Fuji and Pentax in that order for MF cameras. And that is the order of how good they are also. Pentax is last just like in the DSLR market.

645 original is dirt cheap secondhand so if a person wants to try film it is a good idea

Pentax in the digital era has always had the cheapest medium format cameras. Thus is appealing purely on that point alone. & they're good cameras too, Philip Bloom is os a big fan of the Pentax 645Z

2 hours ago, mat33 said:

Well my current still cameras were introduced in 2009 and 2012 so I guess I'd better hang up my hat given how crap my photos must be.

That just illustrates how DSLR stills performance has hit a plateau for many people 

A Nikon D5200 (& sometimes a D90!! :-o ) is my main stills camera 

This camera is going to be hot.

Ergonomics on par with Panasonics and Canons. But with the IQ and AF of the XT2. Oh and the nice line of fairly compact native lenses. And with a price expectation of $2000. Only annoying thing is that it's not rumoured to have 60p 4k. 

This is definitely to control heat, and surely to add some minutes of operation ti.e. GH5 is bigger than full frame dSLRs, so to offer continuous video recording and bigh bitrates. We have to change to graphite soon, everything consumes too much energy (thus dissipate too much heat)!

• Super Members
9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

They will be Classic, old stuff I had years ago. Think 2018. You guys are proving my point. 

Ok you changed my mind. Its much better to have a 2018 Datsun than a 2016 BMW... how could I not have seen it. Age is a more important spec than image quality, ergonomics, button layout, lenses, etc.

Boy are the XT2 shooters gonna be disappointed when the X-H1 is released. Imagine waking up and turning on the computer just to see all the great photos you had have turned to shit. Phone is ringing with angry clients demanding their money back. Your wife screaming because all the pictures of the kids has turned to turds in microwaves.

Its gonna be brutal.

11483717.jpg

15 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Good God the iPhone beat it in a few shots. Give me a break about how good it is. X-Tran is the worse thing they ever came up with. Their normal Bayer Sensors cameras look better than the wonky colors on the X-Trans ones. They are clown colors, not natural looking like a Canon or Nikon.

[... ]

Why the hell would I want a damn stills camera at all, let alone one that doesn't do video, or if it does, like the Fuji does, pretty piss poor video at that.

Only thing clownish I'm seeing here is your comments I'm afraid.. Do you even have any experience with (latest gen) Fuji X system for video? or is it all based on silly JPG YT shootouts of fruits & charts?!

Here is an ungraded video from an actual real-world DOP giving you the rundown on what i'd agree are some of the IQ highlights for video work:

Philip Bloom is os a big fan of the Pentax 645Z

My understanding is that they sent him one for review and he loved it so much he bought one. He's produced some beautiful stuff with it - for a cinematographer he's a pretty tasty stills photographer!

But seriously, @webrunner5 - film is dead? Fujifilm cameras are crap? Did someone steal your car this morning or something? There are no rules when it comes to creative endeavour. People will use whatever realises their creative vision the best - for them. There's really no need to shout people down and disrespect their creative choices.

4 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

X-trans is 50% of the selling point for me. It is what allows me to push fuji APS-C iso way past my Sony FF.

Absolutely right. I am continually amazed by the amount of shadow detail I can bring back in my X-T2 stills (haven't really done much video with them yet - awaiting the spring). Also - and many have said this - upping the ISO brings out noise that really does just look like film grain, with virtually no banding or false colour. I shoot mine at 800 most of the time, as it's pretty much noise-free, but one of my presets, based off Classic Chrome, I shoot at a minimum of 6400 and it looks gorgeous!