Canon 5D mark iii RAW video 2018

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I think he means the view on the LCD?

Just re-read @jpfilmz comment and now I'm not sure what he means?  

But what I am sure of is that the image quality coming out of these setups is absolutely phenomenal, even before you consider the price! :)

6 hours ago, kye said:

Just re-read @jpfilmz comment and now I'm not sure what he means?  

But what I am sure of is that the image quality coming out of these setups is absolutely phenomenal, even before you consider the price! :)

I think jpfilmz is talking about the buggy LiveView on the LCD that still has some problems. It is probably better now since this statement was written by A1ex.

From A1ex :  April 1st, 2017.

Where's the catch?

This is only a very rough proof of concept. It has not been battle-tested and has many quirks. Some of them may be easy to fix, others not so. In particular:

* It feels quite buggy. I'm still hunting the issues one by one, but it's hard, as Canon's LiveView implementation is very complex, and our understanding on how it works is still very limited.
* Write speeds are high. For example, 10-bit 4096x2500 at 15 fps requires 180 MB/s. 1080p45 should be a little more manageable at 111 MB/s.
* Canon preview is broken in most modes; you need to use the grayscale preview in the raw recording module.
* High-resolution modes (in particular, full-res LiveView) may cause trouble with memory management. This is very tricky to solve, as we only get 3 full-resolution buffers in LiveView, with restrictions on the order in which they must be freed, and lots of other quirks.
* Since these settings were pushed to limit, the risk of corrupted frames is high. If it happens, decrease the vertical resolution a bit (from the crop_rec submenu).
* When refreshing LiveView settings, the camera might lock-up (no idea why). Pressing MENU twice appears to fix it.

19 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think jpfilmz is talking about the buggy LiveView on the LCD that still has some problems. It is probably better now since this statement was written by A1ex.

That makes sense..  sorry for the distraction.  Nothing to see here - move along!!

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

From A1ex :  April 1st, 2017.

Where's the catch?

This is only a very rough proof of concept. It has not been battle-tested and has many quirks. Some of them may be easy to fix, others not so. In particular:

* It feels quite buggy. I'm still hunting the issues one by one, but it's hard, as Canon's LiveView implementation is very complex, and our understanding on how it works is still very limited.
* Write speeds are high. For example, 10-bit 4096x2500 at 15 fps requires 180 MB/s. 1080p45 should be a little more manageable at 111 MB/s.
* Canon preview is broken in most modes; you need to use the grayscale preview in the raw recording module.
* High-resolution modes (in particular, full-res LiveView) may cause trouble with memory management. This is very tricky to solve, as we only get 3 full-resolution buffers in LiveView, with restrictions on the order in which they must be freed, and lots of other quirks.
* Since these settings were pushed to limit, the risk of corrupted frames is high. If it happens, decrease the vertical resolution a bit (from the crop_rec submenu).
* When refreshing LiveView settings, the camera might lock-up (no idea why). Pressing MENU twice appears to fix it.

Sorry about the vagueness. Yep that's what I was referring to.  BUT......this morning I was testing out the 3.5 raw(not mlv version) crop recoding feature and was able to use a clean live view with continuous recording.  Build 1.1.3 Global draw was off and everything else was off.  When I hit the trash can button to go to live view it was the usual buggy look , but when i hit the magnification button it was all clear and I could film using normal non laggy/buggy canon live view "without" any screen data showing.   I'll retest when I get off work to confirm it.  

3.5k Crop Recording test.  I was able to get solid continuous recording with the settings below.
Raw Record Module/no sound
Resolution: 3520x1320  
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Bit Depth: 12 Bit Lossless

Other notes.  I was able to easiy pull focus while recording in 3.5k mode using canon live view in 5x zoom.  Using the 3k 1:1 mode with a resolution of 3072x1308 & 2.35:1 ratio I could get continuous recording and pull focus after pressing the zoom button once and using a half press on the shutter button to get a clear live view.  With the half shutter the live view zooms in again allowing you to set focus.  It may seem fiddly but with these resolutions on a full frame I think it's one of the best ways to check focus.

Thanks.  I'm using the 113 build version.  I haven't had any corrupted frames yet.  It think it's more likely when using the MLV raw record module.  With the higher res dngs you have to use the Footage app to convert to dngs or movs.
https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/3ed6ecf60e684239a6aba3d407cf3935

As far as the 12bit vs 14bit. It very hard to tell just from visually looking at them.  I haven't done much testing to know...but I suspect when in post the 12bit won't feel as color heavy as the 14bit one when grading.  I attached a 12bit dng for anyone that wants to play with it.  I really want to test this agains the C200 rawlite.  I have a feeling that I won't like it as much.

M24-0525_C0000_00511.dng