Canon 5D mark iii RAW video 2018

kidzrevil

12 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Deadcode how do you switch to 12 bit ? I've been searching high and low trying to figure this out !!! Also is there a way to force the dng to display the image as the picture profile it was shot with ? I really love visioncolor picture profile and would like to work off of that in post 

This is still experimental so i dont recommend yet to use it, first get used to the 14 bit processing. 10/12bit is tricky if you are not using MLVFS, the black levels are off, and the blacks going pink. 

You cannot force the DNG to show the picture profile, but there are possibilities where you can debayer in different color/log spaces. 

It doesent matter, trust me, BMDFilm is perfect starting point and you have the grading skill to get the most of it. If you have lack of knowledge in Davinci Resolve, or you want to use hyalinejim's (thanks again!!) beautiful Ektar 100 LUT then you should transform color spaces.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

It doesent matter, trust me, BMDFilm is perfect starting point and you have the grading skill to get the most of it. If you have lack of knowledge in Davinci Resolve, or you want to use hyalinejim (thanks again!!) beautiful Ektar 100 LUT then you should transform color spaces.

This might help. Our old friend. :glasses: Well he is not old, well no he is not, I guess, no.

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

This might help. Our old friend. :glasses:

Since Resolve can handle the dng's, you no longer need ACR (or After Effects) for debayering. Davinci is over 20 times faster you can see your video in real time, compared to 1,5 fps rendering in AE there is no benefit to use ACR any longer. The recovery is almost the same, the shadow boost is the same, the crispness is better in resolve. The noise is better in ACR, but only if you dont have full Davinci or Lite + Neat Video.

• Super Members
Just now, Deadcode said:

Since Resolve can handle the dng's, you no longer need ACR (or After Effects) for debayering. Davinci is over 20 times faster you can see your video in real time, compared to 1,5 fps rendering in AE there is no benefit to use ACR any longer. The recovery is almost the same, the shadow boost is the same, the crispness is better in resolve. The noise is better in ACR, but only if you dont have full Davinci or Lite + Neat Video.

The reason to use ACR was never because resolve couldn't handle it. The footage in that video is Blackmagic Raw, of course it could handle it. It was for those that wants to use ACR because they like ACR. And it was a workaround to get raw into premiere back in 5.0.

Considering the cost of Neat Video, is it worth the extra bit to get full Resolve for NR? Is there anything else that is helpful in full Resolve for ML Raw?

22 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

https://vimeo.com/71749184

I think maybe he used the Canon 100mm f 2.8 on the opening?? They are pretty far away to have used a wide angle lens I think and still looked that big on screen.. There is a Lot of OOF and compression behind them.

Wow it may be the 85 f 1.4 now that I re look at it again.

I guess i just got an impression that the video was pretty amazing to you and I will admit me also using that old of a ML hack. And it only I guess was 1080p at the time??

I’m hoping it was the 100mm f2.8 because that lens is on my list. It should go nicely with my 24-70mm f4 and my 35mm f2.

9 minutes ago, mercer said:

Considering the cost of Neat Video, is it worth the extra bit to get full Resolve for NR? Is there anything else that is helpful in full Resolve for ML Raw?

The rendering times with Neat video NR applied is very long, especially if you use it on 4K footage. With the built in NR function in Davinci Resolve studio you can have  almost same results, but with much much faster then Neat. Everything else is possible with Resolve Lite.

@Mattias Burling will you do a 2018 edition video about the 5D Raw with 4K? I loved your last one about the 5D

Edit: currently im testing the built in NR on underexposed a6300 iso12800 SLOG2, and the results are insane...

Thanks Deadcode. Here’s a Resolve question that I was wondering about. In FCPX, the timeline will regroup clips after a cut, is there a way to do that in Resolve?

I’m using the newest version and prior to a few days ago I was only using Resolve to process the Raw clips through to ProRes but I tried doing a rough cut of my clips before rendering it out and that sped up the process a bit. 

There's a world of options when it comes to ML post. I just want to point out some things here that might be useful when you have time to investigate them.

Check out MLVFS to quickly turn your MLVs into DNGs without transcoding. Then you can try workflows that have better image quality. These are Camera RAW to AE (slow but excellent) and Resolve (fast and good).

For example, these screengrabs show highlight recovery is worst using MLVs directly in Premiere:

Premiere:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.2c825fa5d91a72148b51a9f86fe25a18.jpg

Camera RAW (ML-Log DCP profile) to After Effects:

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.c44e99ead9b22cbe2f14516a1e3ebbc7.jpg

Resolve (Arri Log-C):

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.74afd1e445e66b9c4f260cea726b4a85.jpg

38 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@hyalinejim im going to try out MLVFS I’ve already started to try and teach myself resolve. These files give you an incredible amount of options in post ! Is MLVFS the only one you recommend ? Im not sure it works as well on windows as it does mac 

Goat's Eye has a comprehensive series of tutorials on resolve 12.5 on youtube, and there are a lot of similarities in Resolve 14.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:20 PM, mercer said:

Thanks Deadcode. Here’s a Resolve question that I was wondering about. In FCPX, the timeline will regroup clips after a cut, is there a way to do that in Resolve?

Can you clarify what you mean by "regroup clips"?

In resolve, you have ripple delete where you cut a clip, click on the empty space AFTER the cut, right click ripple delete, and ALL the following clips on that track will move forward an euqal amount.

Is that what you mean? sorry I am not familiar with FCXP.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:15 PM, Deadcode said:

The rendering times with Neat video NR applied is very long, especially if you use it on 4K footage. With the built in NR function in Davinci Resolve studio you can have  almost same results, but with much much faster then Neat. Everything else is possible with Resolve Lite.

@Mattias Burling will you do a 2018 edition video about the 5D Raw with 4K? I loved your last one about the 5D

Edit: currently im testing the built in NR on underexposed a6300 iso12800 SLOG2, and the results are insane...

Is it insane in a good or bad way??? Would love to see any footage. I am using the free version of resolve so no built in noise reduction, but would certainly upgrade to the paid version in order to get awesome noise reduction.

The advantage of MLVFS is it just mounts a virtual directory of DNGs straight from the MLVs - no converting is necessary. The disadvantage is that it's almost impossible to figure out how to install it on Windows!

I know that at one point in time I followed this video, and it works. But this might be out of date.

But I can't remember if I changed things since then. MLVFS still works for my now on Windows 10. I just right click on MLVs and select "Quick Mount" and they mount into DNG folders (if you have a lot it can take quite a while).

You won't regret learning Resolve. It's very useful to know it.

Update for those still using Premiere like I am to work with Canon Raw cinema dng’s. I may be being captain obvious here but I stumbled out of sheer curiosity I noticed something with how adobe lumetri handles these files. The basic color correction panel actually does control the raw data of the image. I confirmed this when I brought my highlights down too low and it revealed the pink highlight issue that occurs when your white point is shifted too low with bad transcoding from mlv files. Since then I started putting my LUT of choice in the creative panel make my neccessary adjustments there then move onto the curve panel to finalize a “look”/grade. Then when I want to make adjustments to the raw image I use the basic color corrections panel and adjust things like exposure contrast etc. DO NOT add a LUT to the basic color correction tab, it doesn’t use the raw data anymore for some reason. Or I should say it controls how the raw data is used. 

@hyalinejim I definitely plan on it. I was playing with it earlier and it just looks so much better. Im having a hard time with understanding the nodes though but Ill eventually learn it 

51 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

The advantage of MLVFS is it just mounts a virtual directory of DNGs straight from the MLVs - no converting is necessary. The disadvantage is that it's almost impossible to figure out how to install it on Windows!

I know that at one point in time I followed this video, and it works. But this might be out of date.

But I can't remember if I changed things since then. MLVFS still works for my now on Windows 10. I just right click on MLVs and select "Quick Mount" and they mount into DNG folders (if you have a lot it can take quite a while).

You won't regret learning Resolve. It's very useful to know it.

Do you know anything about the Mac version? I downloaded OSXFuse (or whatever it’s called) and followed the directions but I am not seeing any options for MLV when I right click. I see there may be a script to upload somewhere, but again it seems unclear... but I’m sure it’s me. 

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Can you clarify what you mean by "regroup clips"?

In resolve, you have ripple delete where you cut a clip, click on the empty space AFTER the cut, right click ripple delete, and ALL the following clips on that track will move forward an euqal amount.

Is that what you mean? sorry I am not familiar with FCXP.

In FCPX, when you cut a clip and then delete the unwanted portion, the gap left in the timeline is instantly and automatically filled by the remainder of the clips in your timeline. 

It seems your right clip selection sounds what I’m looking for... thanks. 

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

Do you know anything about the Mac version? I downloaded OSXFuse (or whatever it’s called) and followed the directions but I am not seeing any options for MLV when I right click. I see there may be a script to upload somewhere, but again it seems unclear... but I’m sure it’s me. 

You should see something like this (attached file)

MLVFS option under services.

MLVFS.png