Canon 5D mark iii RAW video 2018

kidzrevil

So I finally took a huge leap of faith and picked up a Canon 5D mark iii with 2 voigtlander pancake lenses. So far the image quality in its RAW video mode is astounding. You have a ridiculous amount of flexibility when it comes to grading the files in post. When comparing to today's 4k mirrorless cameras what you lose in resolution you gain in dynamic range and color fidelity. I have settled on converting the files to cinema dng and working with them in premiere. I have no clue how to save changes made in adobe camera raw so I am settling on getting the image looking right using LUT's in premiere pro. Does anyone else shoot RAW on the Canon 5D ? What is your workflow ? How do you feel about the image ? Do you think it holds up to today's standards ?

this was shot with the voigtlander 40mm f2 and a tiffen black satin filter btw. I also used neat video to reduce the noise although there was not much noise to begin with. The iso range was from 100-6400

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

nice looking stuff :)

i'm no longer shooting on 5d RAW, but my workflow was rather easy:

1. Mount the MLV files in MLVFS (this mounts a new virtual hard drive where all of your files miraculously transferm into cinemadng in real time)

2. Import the files from the virtual drive into Davinci Resolve. Transform the RAW into linear, then linear to Arri LogC.

3. Cut and grade at leisure.

4. Export as dxnhd or your preferred codec

@PannySVHS I was in love when I sat down with the image in post. Completely in love ! After reviewing the footage on a big screen I do see that I need to use heavier diffusion to fight the pixel binning in the 1080p image. Im gonna try using a heavy grade tiffen black diffusion fx and see how far I can push the image ?

Hey !

Glad to see you’re enjoying the image, it is indeed so nice ! I think you don’t actually need stronger diffusion. I’ve shot many things, including establishing shots with lots of details that didn’t show any moire and maybe on rare occasions very mild aliasing. My humble guess is it has more to do with the processing of the dngs. In after effects or resolve, you can achieve exceptionnal results (more so in AE but the workflow is a pain!). I don’t know how it works with premiere but i guess there must be some pre baked presets that aren’t optimal in term of sharpness or dynamic range... Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that even if it yields more cinematic images, technically you don’t need diffusion to avoid moire or aliasing !

Can’t wait to see what you do with the 5D !

@kidzrevilnot sure about the need of fighting pixel pinning. There are few avid 5diii raw shooters around here. Ask Glenn @mercer for sure!

Also @Volker Schmidt, I think can tell a big deal about best settings and filming parameters. Andrew Reid knows a big deal about the image of the 5Diii and if it would need diffusion to fight any digital nasties. Wouldnt assume so from the great examples on vimeo. But that is an assumption only:)

@kidzrevil : yeah, i think Resolve really is worth the "trouble". I recommend googling Juan Melara for getting some grading ideas and to get your mind blown.

btw, if you don't like binning, be sure to try out crop mode. it's the reason why i bought my 16-35mm back in the day. no more binning, just damn sharp 2.5k ... or even 3k 21:9 if you are pushing it. Beware tho that at those resolutions, the buffer might fill up after 6-7 seconds. The footage is gorgeous tho.

just a short explanation: crop mode ... just takes a crop of your 5d sensor (quite close to m43 actually) but uses all pixels in that rectangle. Meaning the OLPF works perfectly, and there are no resizing artifacts whatsoever. i filmed with it last year, and it was rather experimental. when it did work, it was fabulous.

@seku gonna give the higher res stuff a shot ! Im so in love with the 1080p I can only imagine how the high res mode looks

@Papiskokuji hmm it could be the way the DNG’s are being processed. I only see it around high contrast areas hence my desire for more diffusion. I settled on using a tiffen black diffusion fx. It sucks for 4K but I like the results in 1080p and it almost eliminated the binning problem in my rough test.

@PannySVHS true, I seen great stuff from those guys. Either way I was planning on using heavier diffusion because I like how the older tiffen’s smoothen out a 1080p image. You don’t need a lot of resolution for 1080 so its worth it

Resolve has the amazing highlight recovery tool that has saved my ass in some high contrast shots. Plus if you use Resolve as an intermediary, you can export as ProRes and still have plenty of wiggle room to grade in Premiere. 

For instance, using the Raw Histogram with ETTR Hint I took this shot that I did a quick transfer to ProRes using the Footage App (which I like a lot)...

F8899924-ACDE-4043-9589-1B636017C68B.jpeg

With the sun behind his head, it was just too blown to correct. Now I processed the same shot through Resolve using the Highlight Recovery and... voila...

8A7C0775-610F-4845-B0E5-566508CDEA50.jpeg

I do agree with Seku, Juan Melara’s linear to Log-C method is really cool and works beautifully. 

1B63372B-9547-4B39-BB0D-5695A8826749.jpeg

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

Resolve has the amazing highlight recovery tool that has saved my ass in some high contrast shots. Plus if you use Resolve as an intermediary, you can export as ProRes and still have plenty of wiggle room to grade in Premiere. 

For instance, using the Raw Histogram with ETTR Hint I took this shot that I did a quick transfer to ProRes using the Footage App (which I like a lot)...

F8899924-ACDE-4043-9589-1B636017C68B.jpeg

With the sun behind his head, it was just too blown to correct. Now I processed the same shot through Resolve using the Highlight Recovery and... voila...

8A7C0775-610F-4845-B0E5-566508CDEA50.jpeg

I do agree with Seku, Juan Melara’s linear to Log-C method is really cool and works beautifully. 

1B63372B-9547-4B39-BB0D-5695A8826749.jpeg

That last frame looks like a RAW still from the 5d. Wild.

I can't remember the program, but isn't there a paid version that lets you bake out c-log footage? You can preserve highlights there.

Edit: Also the straight REC709 out of that program looks amazing as well. You can't really use it in extreme lighting scenarios though.

10 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

That last frame looks like a RAW still from the 5d. Wild.

I can't remember the program, but isn't there a paid version that lets you bake out c-log footage? You can preserve highlights there.

Thanks, that’s one of my better attempts. With the bad weather out here, I’ve been going through one old footage and trying some different workflows, so I’ll definitely keep an eye out for that program. 

actually... i am cameraless right now. (the screenshot above is 5dmk3 RAW in fullframe binned mode, not even cropped)

(as much as i love the RAW of the 5D ... i want a waveform for monitoring. When i got exposure right, i love the 5D. The histogram helps me with ETTRing, and making sure i don't overexpose. But i have no clue where my skintones fall).

Always wanted to try out anamorphic though. So i think tomorrow i'll buy a gh5 & GHalex LUT to go with my schneider cinelux 2x and rectilux. But that is quite a bit off-topic :)

No cinema cam for me tho, i'm just a bloody hobbyist :)