GH5S - HLG Mode - Better than VLog-L?

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
32 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Mostly I edit on a MacBook Pro... 2017 model. I switch sometime ago to FCPX as it seems much faster than PP.

Just asking because you probably won’t be able to use an Atomos as a grading monitor in spite of what mystery box writes.

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Just asking because you probably won’t be able to use an Atomos as a grading monitor in spite of what mystery box writes.

I was thinking of using it as a field monitor and recorder. It is designed to display and record HDR upto DCI 60p. So I would imagine it would be ok for this purpose. 

On 07/02/2018 at 5:28 AM, DBounce said:

compares the VLog-L mode to HLG mode (1.43). It seems that even after grading the HLG mode renders a better image, with correctly exposed whites, while maintaining details in the shadows. The whole image just looks better. So is HLG using the dual ISOs differently?

HLG uses more of the tonal range of the H264 container and also has more accurate tonal density than VlogL. Unless using slowmo (cine-D) I use HLG. 

Question for all of you that have been using HLG. What is the input color space and output color space? When I'm looking at an HLG file in Resolve it seem's pretty decent while working in HLG color timeline, but there's no option for HLG output. Rec2020, Rec2100 looks bad. The colors are all shifted. Output to Rec709 looks good but I'm not seeing any  more DR on that output than VLogL.

Update: I found that using Rec2100 as the input and output is key. It's hard to see any difference on my Rec709 monitor but I'm getting a decklink hooked up to view HDR on the Atomos Inferno.

2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Question for all of you that have been using HLG. What is the input color space and output color space? When I'm looking at an HLG file in Resolve it seem's pretty decent while working in HLG color timeline, but there's no option for HLG output. Rec2020, Rec2100 looks bad. The colors are all shifted. Output to Rec709 looks good but I'm not seeing any  more DR on that output than VLogL.

Update: I found that using Rec2100 as the input and output is key. It's hard to see any difference on my Rec709 monitor but I'm getting a decklink hooked up to view HDR on the Atomos Inferno.

Good luck with the DeckLink. Let us know how it goes.

33 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I got the Decklink and hooked up the Inferno. Holy shit there's a night and day difference in NITs and shadow/highlight detail. I'm a little bit worried about using the HDR monitor as a reference until I start delivering in HDR.

hdr.JPG

I just heard back from Atomos this afternoon. The HDMI port on the UltraStudio Mini Monitor won’t work with the Ninja Inferno, but apparently it will with the SDI connectors on the Shogun. The relatively inexpensive AJA T-TAP should also work, but only with Premiere and Final Cut - not Resolve. The high end 4K i/o devices should work as well, but cost thousands of dollars, and we don’t need the 4K or HDMI metadata to grade with the Inferno. Are you using the Shogun or the Ninja? And which DeckLink are you using?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi guys.

I am a beginner and would like to get rid of some confusion.

Which are the IRE level on waveform to correctly expose HLG on GH5s using a color chart?

-middle grey card

-90% white card

-caucasian skin tone

If the scene is correctly exposed and WB is adjusted which are the next steps in post? This is what I think:

1) color transform from BT2100/2020 to Rec709

2) primary color correction

3) color grading

Thanks for your help!