GH5S - HLG Mode - Better than VLog-L?

DBounce

So as I wait for the pending arrival of my GH5S, I have been looking at some footage to convince myself that it is a smart move. In doing so I noticed that in a recent clip posted on YouTube, it compares the VLog-L mode to HLG mode (1.43). It seems that even after grading the HLG mode renders a better image, with correctly exposed whites, while maintaining details in the shadows. The whole image just looks better. So is HLG using the dual ISOs differently? Take a look and tell me what you think.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello, HLG with its dynamic range and color is a great curve and color space of 2020 to work and in future to deliver in. It uses the full 10bit range, whereas VLOG uses a smaller range from 128 to 768 compared to the full range from 0 to 1024.

On the camera, congratulations! Enjoy your 6400 iso 10bit lowlight camera with up to 100 fps slomo in pixel perfect HD resolution!

Vlog l has some awesome color science, so a great thing to have.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The V-Log looks a bit muddy when to me in this particular video when compared side by side with HLG.

I could be wrong, but I'm starting to feel like the GH5S is a camera that should be used mostly in HLG mode. Whereas, I never really messed with HLG on the GH5. If this is the case, this further differentiates the 'S' from the regular GH5.

10 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@DBounce I wouldnt write VLOG off. Check this comparison in real low light:

GH5s and GH5 compared in VLOG at iso6400, 12LUX!, shutter 1/25, Fstop 2.8:

GH5:

1657-12LUX_GH5_VLOGL-12LUX_GH5_VLOGL.jpg

GH5s

1657-12LUX_VLOGL_F28-12LUX_VLOGL_1_25_IS

I honestly cannot tell any discernible difference comparing these two. But in scenes with a lot of contrast I have to think HGL on the GH5S is going to have the edge.

32 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I honestly cannot tell any discernible difference comparing these two. But in scenes with a lot of contrast I have to think HGL on the GH5S is going to have the edge.

right click and new tab to enlarge both and compare them. it´s a very obvious difference between the two:)

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I’m on my smartphone, so not sure I’m gonna see it on this tiny screen. What are you seeing?

That´s how our films should be seen too:) There is a big difference in this super lowlight setup when you enlarge them to original size. Better check it out again on your computer:)

5 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

That´s how our films should be seen too:) There is a big difference in this super lowlight setup when you enlarge them to original size. Better check it out again on your computer:)

Ok, just viewed it on a 4k monitor... wow, that's night and day. But I think we are not comparing this to HGL. In a high contrast scene, on the same camera (GH5S), I think HGL will prove superior. Granted, I did not realize how much color noise there was in the GH5's image at 6400 ISO, I just knew it always looked like garbage to me, so I never used it. Heck, I had my ISO lock to a maximum of 1600 on the GH5. 

GH5s is a legit iso 6400 camera, without artefacts and Super Nintendo blocks and blotches of a Sony A6300/6500 in LOG mode. Giving a really usuable image at that sensitivity. Here is the HLG comparison between the GH5 and its S sister. Again 12Lux, iso6400, 25th shutter, F2.8

GH51657-12LUX_GH5_HLG-12LUX_GH5_HLG.jpg

GH5s

1657-12LUX_HLG_F28-12LUX_HLG_1_25_ISO640

Well honestly, HLG makes a big difference on the GH5 also. But comparing the GH5S VLog-L to HGL, I am still going to give the win to HGL. What do you think?

15 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

GH5s is a legit iso 6400 camera, without artefacts and Super Nintendo blocks and blotches of a Sony A6300/6500 in LOG mode. Giving a really usuable image at that sensitivity. Here is the HLG comparison between the GH5 and its S sister. Again 12Lux, iso6400, 25th shutter, F2.8

GH51657-12LUX_GH5_HLG-12LUX_GH5_HLG.jpg

GH5s

1657-12LUX_HLG_F28-12LUX_HLG_1_25_ISO640

Been playing around with the GH5s and hope to have some samples up soon. I will say one thing about VLogL. The vast majority of people aren't properly converting V Log into a proper Rec709 color space. Using a LUT in Premiere just doesn't fully cut it. If you go to Resolve and set your input gamma to V Gamut, and output to Rec709 Gamma 2.4, luminance mapping to 500 nits, and saturation mapping ON (min 0.9, max 1.0) you get a full range of DR to manipulate contrast/saturation in Rec709.

50 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@AaronChicago Thank you for posting! How did you come up with all the settings?

Juan Melaras introduced this technique for BMD Film and Arri Log C. It works the same with V Log.

I was able to do a quick comparison with the GH5 before I sold it and the highlight rolloff is definitely better with the GH5s.

Here's a quick highlight test in snow with the GH5S. No LUTS used. VLog color managed to Rec709 and a slight curve adjustment for contrast.

Settings:

VLog L
C4K 10 bit All-I

Speedbooster Ultra

Shutter 180
ISO 400
Leica R 60mm @ F4
Tiffen 0.9 ND

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

Juan Melaras introduced this technique for BMD Film and Arri Log C. It works the same with V Log.

I was able to do a quick comparison with the GH5 before I sold it and the highlight rolloff is definitely better with the GH5s.

Here's a quick highlight test in snow with the GH5S. No LUTS used. VLog color managed to Rec709 and a slight curve adjustment for contrast.

Settings:

VLog L
C4K 10 bit All-I

Speedbooster Ultra

Shutter 180
ISO 400
Leica R 60mm @ F4
Tiffen 0.9 ND

Congrats on the new camera.

15 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@DBounce I wouldnt write VLOG off. Check this comparison in real low light:

GH5s and GH5 compared in VLOG at iso6400, 12LUX!, shutter 1/25, Fstop 2.8:

GH5:

1657-12LUX_GH5_VLOGL-12LUX_GH5_VLOGL.jpg

GH5s

1657-12LUX_VLOGL_F28-12LUX_VLOGL_1_25_IS

Very nice! Did you turn down all the NR and Sharpening in camera? Because allot of the GH5s videos I've seen have been downright atrocious in the detail department... which makes me think they're ruining the image with the picture profiles somehow. Half the posted GH5s vids I've watched look no better than a GoPro or Cellphone (seen plenty of GH5 videos like this also)... horribly crunched and processed. But this looks very nice, full 4k, filmic-looking detail! Would love to see some properly shot GH5s vids soon!