NX2 rumors

salim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, timmyturntable said:

I say we help Samsung out here...in case they are watching this thread.  Let's keep it simple.  Simply say "I'm in" if you'd buy it and, for their own research, what price you would pay?  

I'm in.  $2500 retail.

If I was in the market for a new camera I'd be in too!

Although to be fair I should drive a stake through my G.A.S.....  and just quit with the cycle of buying cameras, but it is tough to stop!

However $2.5K could go half way towards say buying a Sound Devices 688

4 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Yes, prototypes to test tech and demonstrate capabilities to Nikon, Fuji and the m43 world - companies that are all reliant on Sony. Sony's sensor division does huge business, cutting into that pie and eating a competitors lunch makes sense for another giant electronics conglomerate. A NX-whatever simply doesn't in any way.

True, even a 4/3" crop of the existing NX1 APS-C 28megapixel sensor could be interesting to MFT manufacturers (Panasonic/Olympus/DJI/BMD/Yi/&more).

I think this is the best chance for a "NX2" (be it merely a prototype, or something they sell as a limited release), is purely as an advertising tool for Samsung's cellphones (to showcase the processor) and/or to other camera manufactures (to tempt them to buy the sensor). But I'm skeptical the ROI is there for the R&D for a whole new camera (unless just merely a rough and ready test bed prototype) just as a marketing tool. 

only rumor i am afraid as samsung focus is still on smartphone market but let's hope it is true that samsung comes back in camera business because

1/ as a newcomer they will have to innovate in order to set them aside from existing player  (like they did with nx1, first camera with aps-c size bsi sensor & h265)

2/ as a camera maker with a small line of camera they are more likely to give us more bang for the buck (hardware r&d cost is so high and it is so time consuming that you can only design one chip and if they have to sell 10 different camera in the lineup the only solution they have to differentiate and justify increasing price in the camera lineup is to artificially remove feature in the firmware, not specific to camera business, laptops play the same game).

3/ as a smartphone maker and as a chip maker samsung is in the best position than any other camera maker to deliver powerful hardware that can do a lot of processing in camera (oversampling, lut, noise reduction, 8k video )

go samsung go, kill canikon and give sony,fuji a good competition to push camera innovation and lower prices !!

4 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

They want to sell their ISOCELL technology/sensor to other manufactures. Don't confuse their Exynos processor with the image sensor. The S9/9+ are rumored to ship with Samsung-designed Sony IMX345 sensors on the Exynos and Snapdragon proccesors.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9_will_allegedly_use_an_imx345_sensor-news-29478.php

1 hour ago, Matthew Hartman said:

They want to sell their ISOCELL technology/sensor to other manufactures. Don't confuse their Exynos processor with the image sensor. The S9/9+ are rumored to ship with Samsung-designed Sony IMX345 sensors on the Exynos and Snapdragon proccesors.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9_will_allegedly_use_an_imx345_sensor-news-29478.php

I'm not confusing anything, other releases specify two applications for Exynos that will make Samsung tons of cash -  mobile and auto infotainment. A NX-whatever is not a money making proposition, it would take years for Samsung to make a ILC that could turn a profit no matter how much of the fantasy-land spec from the original post they could actually make a reality. And profitability will never happen in a declining market when they're starting from scratch with their lack of commitment to actually staying in the game. As mentioned in previous posts, perhaps there's a prototype as a showcase for other camera manufacturers, but they're focused on growth, and after killing the NX that's not an area of growth.

Chris

1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'm not confusing anything, other releases specify two applications for Exynos that will make Samsung tons of cash -  mobile and auto infotainment. A NX-whatever is not a money making proposition, it would take years for Samsung to make a ILC that could turn a profit no matter how much of the fantasy-land spec from the original post they could actually make a reality. And profitability will never happen in a declining market when they're starting from scratch with their lack of commitment to actually staying in the game. As mentioned in previous posts, perhaps there's a prototype as a showcase for other camera manufacturers, but they're focused on growth, and after killing the NX that's not an area of growth.

Chris

Fair enough. I think it's a sound way to look at the projected market.

Then again, that's a projection without Samsung's skin in the game. Should and if they decide to enter it again, which I think we all feel is highly unlikely, the market would not be as it is right now because if they released a camera with those specs it would definitely disrupt the market.

Additionally, the NX1 had nothing to precede it, it was Samsung's first foray into the mirrorless market on the prosumer level. Now that the NX line has some brand recognition, in whatever form, I would suppose an "NX2" would gain a lot more traction this time around.

Either way, Samsung would definitely have a marketing challenge on their hands for ditching a lot of people without much rhyme or reason, at least from a consumer angle. But then again, they mitigated the exploding Note 7 battery fiasco quite handily, S8 Note sales were pretty significant. 

I don't man, maybe I'm just being too adversarial. :)

I have this gut feeling that samsung wants to sell sensor tech instead of selling new cameras. The nx1 sensor is still way ahead of its time imagine if they made one for nikon or pentax or something idk...they could really bring one of these old companies back from the dead with their tech

When talking about the Samsung NX1 camera, in the comments you clearly distinguish 2 types of people:
The pessimists and the optimists.
1) The pessimists are those who have never had an NX1 in their hands;
2) The optimists, that is, the enthusiasts who own an NX1 and are happy and satisfied, some of them sold the NX1 by switching to another camera but regrets the NX1.
I do not want to speculate on the news of a possible NX2 (although I would have reason, considering that I worked a lot and lost time to support the NX system with the NXL speed booster), I just want to say to the defeatists who think it is not convenient for Samsung, that the camera market is niche, which in 2018 will drop an asteroid on the earth, etc ...
Maybe Sony is crazy about investing in the photo market? Yet he took a lot of the market away from Canikon!
Nobody knows the business dynamics of a giant like Samsung, sometimes certain products are produced for different reasons, to be present in that sector too, to show muscles, to satisfy customers, to experiment with superior technologies to be used in another sector such as that of the smartphone.Some time ago I hypothesized that after the release of Red Hydrogen on the phone market, Samsung could get a professional camera that was able to incite fear to the Red camera, this thought is not so crazy if you think about it.
The Iphonenauti sect is difficult to erase but the sales of the Galaxy 9S could be annoyed because of the many guys who are passionate about photography and video that would buy a Red phone instead of a Samsung.
Did Samsung expect double the NX1 camera sales? Well, just double the sale price and get a better result! I for the NX2 would spend twice as much as I paid the NX1 and buy the new Galaxy 9S, why? Simply because it knows how to do everything right, it is a small and light camera that never disappoints you.
When Andrew says that Samsung is the only one who can do it, it also means that Samsung has cut many design costs derived from NX1, also has all the components that are used in other appliances.
I think they should focus only on a high-end model, the NX2, the top of the class, no compromise, the best camera on the market with a single set of S lenses including the monstrous 300mm f2.8 ready and never marketed!
A dream maybe but dreaming does not cost anything and then it is not so far from reality.

12 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Additionally, the NX1 had nothing to precede it, it was Samsung's first foray into the mirrorless market on the prosumer level. Now that the NX line has some brand recognition, in whatever form, I would suppose an "NX2" would gain a lot more traction this time around.

Unfortunately, I predict that due to Samsung "abandoning" NX system in the past, that IF they released a NX2 in the future it would get less market traction than the NX1 did :-(

11 hours ago, lucabutera said:

2) The optimists, that is, the enthusiasts who own an NX1 and are happy and satisfied, some of them sold the NX1 by switching to another camera but regrets the NX1.

What about those in the middle ground between the two? :-D
I've never owned a NX1, but I do own another NX system camera (sitting right here next to me as I type! Closest camera to me at the moment, only because the BMPCC is on the other side of the desk. Oh wait, does the iPhone on charge count instead as the 2nd closest camera? :-P ), because I got it cheap on eBay as a potential future  B cam to the NX1 which I was seriously considering buying as my next "main camera". 

@IronFilm same here ! People forget Samsung literally left without warning. There were dozens of people contacting them via email from this forum alone and they gave the “everything is ok” PR statement and still abandoned the hardware. I think their business practices are poor and because of that like you said they will get less traction no matter how great the camera is. They dont share the same loyalty as the NX1 fans do

One thing I find ironic - the Japanese camera makers are going all in to run out new tech during the Tokyo Olympics which are still over two years away, and Samsung bailed a couple shortly before the Olympics returned to Korea. The next couple weeks could have been their halo-camera moment with the world watching, instead it'll just be a showcase for their phones and talking refrigerators. But at least Nikon is there with a few million $$$ in cameras/lenses and a full support staff.

https://***URL removed***/articles/3807540845/pyeongchang-2018-behind-the-scenes-with-nikon-professional-services

Check out all the fat tele's. Nice.

Chris

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Unfortunately, I predict that due to Samsung "abandoning" NX system in the past, that IF they released a NX2 in the future it would get less market traction than the NX1 did :-(

I would say that this wouldn't hold true...Everyone on here likes to argue that the NX1 had so little market share, it seems like the NX2 has nowhere to go but up :)  Additionally, I was drawn to the NX1 for its awesome "future proof" specs...which has somewhat held true.  A NX2 with the specs listed in this thread would get the attention of anyone looking for a new camera (depending on price, of course).

I also agree with @lucabutera that launching this could put companies like RED on notice that if you want to play in the smartphone arena, we can undercut you here.

I fall into the "glad I bought it, nothing else is worth trading for it yet" class...and, I'm really just using it to take pics and videos of my family.  It always works, it doesn't lag.

@Trek of Joy So true, great comment.

@timmyturntable "glad I bought it, nothing else is worth trading for it yet" class here too...

Like @lucabutera said, after the mobile phones exploded in poeple's pockets and coats what happened? Samsung increased its profit in the mobile department! If they offer that spec list (that will never happen, we are just having some fun here) for 3.000$, tell me who isn't going to consider one of those? Instead of the , let's say, the new 90D that barely will have 4K..

Come one, NX1 was an unbelievable machine, in more than one senses (continuous 78 minutes video, for some this is significant), no over heating in the worst conditions (I know!), unbelievable ergonomics (subjective, but not really!), great JPG engine, colors, AWB, DIS and DUAL IS with some lenses, the unique workhorse S lens and dead cheap very sharp pancake primes, etc. What you were buying back in 2014? 16mgpxls GH4, 16m,gpxls Fuji (not even doing any video) 70D, and 7D, and a6000.. Come on people..

All I can say is, glad I bought it, nothing else is trading for it yet, and now I am spending money on other stuff, rather than consider buying my 3rd or 4th camera after I abandoned NX1 (or never bought it!).

P.S actually I bought a 3rd and 4th camera. A NX3000, NX500 and another NX1! Guess what, I do 3-4 camera low budget jobs, I give the smaller cameras to all my relatives to take pictures, and everyone is happy (me too!).

20 hours ago, lucabutera said:

When talking about the Samsung NX1 camera, in the comments you clearly distinguish 2 types of people:
The pessimists and the optimists.
I do not want to speculate on the news of a possible NX2 (although I would have reason, considering that I worked a lot and lost time to support the NX system with the NXL speed booster), I just want to say to the defeatists who think it is not convenient for Samsung, that the camera market is niche, which in 2018 will drop an asteroid on the earth, etc ...
Maybe Sony is crazy about investing in the photo market? Yet he took a lot of the market away from Canikon!
Nobody knows the business dynamics of a giant like Samsung, sometimes certain products are produced for different reasons, to be present in that sector too, to show muscles, to satisfy customers, to experiment with superior technologies to be used in another sector such as that of the smartphone.Some time ago I hypothesized that after the release of Red Hydrogen on the phone market, Samsung could get a professional camera that was able to incite fear to the Red camera, this thought is not so crazy if you think about it.
The Iphonenauti sect is difficult to erase but the sales of the Galaxy 9S could be annoyed because of the many guys who are passionate about photography and video that would buy a Red phone instead of a Samsung.
Did Samsung expect double the NX1 camera sales? Well, just double the sale price and get a better result! I for the NX2 would spend twice as much as I paid the NX1 and buy the new Galaxy 9S, why? Simply because it knows how to do everything right, it is a small and light camera that never disappoints you.
When Andrew says that Samsung is the only one who can do it, it also means that Samsung has cut many design costs derived from NX1, also has all the components that are used in other appliances.
I think they should focus only on a high-end model, the NX2, the top of the class, no compromise, the best camera on the market with a single set of S lenses including the monstrous 300mm f2.8 ready and never marketed!
A dream maybe but dreaming does not cost anything and then it is not so far from reality.

It terms of psychology, doubters are really closet believers who shield themselves from feelings of disappointment if what they actually believe doesn't pan out. It's a self protection mechanism.

Like many here I choose to take a middle road approach. Samsung will do what Samsung wants and it doesn't ask permission from anyone but their shareholders. Pet projects from filthy-rich CEOs and CTOs happen all the time o a whim. Since I'm not a fly on the wall into those decisions there's no way I could be prescriptive to the point of any certainty.

I realize some of you here are savvy with market analysis, or think you are . That being said, you know more than anyone else that all market projections are predictive and speculative, not prescriptive. 

As far as PR for an NX2 in terms of the public, anyone who releases a camera with those specs at a prosumer price is going to reap mass rewards, regardless their history or logo. People just want a good camera at a reasonable price at the end of the day, not cheer lead for any given company, unless of course they have stock in them, or contractual restrictions of advertising competing brands. Basic supply and demand. 

You said:

"There is a PCIe 3.0 x2 bus left if they decide to add something like a CFexpress card-slot,..."

That is just perfect, Samsung has an extremely performant memory card as 2TB PRO 860 SSD in M.2 connector (PCIe 3.0), much like any SD card but could be up to 2-3 times longer, with xGB/s transfer rates so I presume even 4k60 in RAW will be easy to write on it.

All I can say is WOW and hope it will be!

M.2 PRO.jpg

M.2 size.jpg

M.2 EVO.jpg