Canon 1DC in 2018

Hitfabryk

1 hour ago, mercer said:

The V90 cards needed to shoot the highest bitrate on the GH5s costs more than CF cards. An for the money, the GH5s just cannot match the IQ of the 1DC. But there are other perks to the GH5s... hmm... tough call. I’d go with the 1DC every day of the week. 

I am not too sure about the IQ part. 4k on all these newer video cameras is getting pretty damn good. And Panny has fixed a lot of the color problems. I would bet the gap is not as far off as you think. Now sure there is the Canon color thing but that is becoming less hard to replicate as of late.

Would be nice to see a side by side comparison. I know the DPR review of the GH5s is showing it to be better than the Sony A7s mk II. But that is 10bit  versus 8 bit in the Sony. But the 4k in the 1DC is 4.2.2 8 bit so...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I am not too sure about the IQ part. 4k on all these newer video cameras is getting pretty damn good. And Panny has fixed a lot of the color problems. I would bet the gap is not as far off as you think. Now sure there is the Canon color thing but that is becoming less hard to replicate as of late.

Would be nice to see a side by side comparison. I know the DPR review of the GH5s is showing it to be better than the Sony A7s mk II. But that is 10bit  versus 8 bit in the Sony. But the 4k in the 1DC is 4.2.2 8 bit so...

Im getting a GH5s to review soon. I will do some tests for ya!

2 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

1. Anyone had overheating issues? A friend of mine uses the 1DC for pro work and claims it overheats quite a bit. Maybe it's his copy.

2. Can the Sigma Art 18-35 be attached to it? Anyone used it on the 1DC?

I believe it’s overheated on my once so it may be his copy. 

Ive used crop sensor lenses on it but it’s not worth it. 18-20 vignettes on the 18-35

I like having the ability to take full frame photos with it so i think it’s better to own full frame glass if you’re going to own the 1DC. the 24-35 would be best for it. 

• 1 month later...

Hello again, more than 1 month later I have to say that I am in the same ballpark with a few new players. I did not pull the trigger for buying the 1DC as mentioned. 2499,- from a respectfull shop with full year warrenty. I was tempted but not shure. One month later to my suprise the shop still has the cam. Yesterday I filmed with a friend  at a club were to had a twenties style party and have to say both the A7s and the canon c100 mk1 did very well. I used the A7s for 50fps for some slomo and the c100 for 'normal' work. Colors of the c100 and also lowlight were that nice that it brought me back to rethinking the 1DC. But with the new sony a7iii as new kid on the block.  Stabilizer, E mount, autofocus, slowmo options, relative low price, combination with my a7s and a7rii. Very interesting.  But the1DC combined with my c100mk1 is also tempting. But can it if I use an external recorder record 1080p 60fps ? ( from down sampled 4k) What recorder would be great regarding battery live, brightscreen, lightweight? 

I am a little ashamed asking again but if you have some good arguments or idea's..thanks 

• Super Members

I'm probably the only one here that feels this way so you probably should ignore my advice.

But I didn't like my 1DC all that much. I came from the 5Dmkiii and didn't see much benefit from the 1DC. I didn't have the need for the built-in 1DX and the video wasn't any better than ML Raw. Also I missed the peaking and exposure tools of the 5D.

But that's just me.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Also I missed the peaking and exposure tools of the 5D.

Same here. I was on the fence about the 1DC but as someone who shoots run and gun documentaries, I need a camera that helps me. Soft, but beautiful, 4k is still soft

I went with a C100Mk2, a solid camera that let's me focus on story. Pretty pictures can only get me so far.

Maybe get two C100s, of course it all depends what kind of work you actually do. It sounds like you are in a controlled studio so you might be fine with the 'fiddly' cameras.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, mercer said:

Well how relevant is a C100 in 2018? I’ve seen some beautiful footage from the original. And when they go on sale... the price seems unbeatable at $1700.

Have you guys noticed an increase in work just by having a C100 in your kit?

When my company needs video for webb, TV or huge stadiums we are still more than happy with the C100. 

And the prices on it now... Im constantly fighting the urge.

• 4 weeks later...

Well if anyone still wants a 1DC in 2018, maybe you should bid on my 1DC that I am selling to fund some new gear for my YouTube channel.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-1D-C-18-1MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only/112902067120

Im really sad about this but I am not made of money and any cameras that aren't being used....need to go. I can always re purchase one in the future if my heart remains broken. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 4:44 PM, Mattias Burling said:

When my company needs video for webb, TV or huge stadiums we are still more than happy with the C100. 

And the prices on it now... Im constantly fighting the urge.

Me too. The original C100 just has a magical color science (excuse the oxymoron) 

As soon as I can find one for $1000 or less in good condition, I think I’ll buy one. I feel the same way about the 1DC... even if it is a 10 year old camera by the time it hits that price point.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, mercer said:

Me too. The original C100 just has a magical color science (excuse the oxymoron) 

As soon as I can find one for $1000 or less in good condition, I think I’ll buy one. I feel the same way about the 1DC... even if it is a 10 year old camera by the time it hits that price point.

Ive seen it for $1000 or just above once or twice but the timing wasn't perfect. 

BTW, Im even more interested in one after a video shoot at work today. Had both the X-H1 and the soft HD shooting 6Dmkii with me. The light was very low so I used the Canon with the digital stabilization instead of the real IBIS in the Fuji. And Im glad I did. It looks great.
Super sharp and 100% artifact free? Nope.
But just nice and clean with great flattering skin colors under weird indoor lights and great bokeh? Yup :) 

On 9/21/2018 at 9:59 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Ive seen it for $1000 or just above once or twice but the timing wasn't perfect. 

BTW, Im even more interested in one after a video shoot at work today. Had both the X-H1 and the soft HD shooting 6Dmkii with me. The light was very low so I used the Canon with the digital stabilization instead of the real IBIS in the Fuji. And Im glad I did. It looks great.
Super sharp and 100% artifact free? Nope.
But just nice and clean with great flattering skin colors under weird indoor lights and great bokeh? Yup :) 

I have one coming up to replace the 5D Mk1. Might be the most frustrating camera ever.

It is a fairly cheap (tick) EF-mount FF camera (tick) Canon colors (tick) DPAF (tick) good interface (tick) with a tilting touchscreen (tick) and pretty much the softest 1080p out there(before any IS)...At least the IPB codec doesn't hurt when the source is that soft anyway... No way I would not choose it over a C100 at the right price, that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the 1DC have a 4:3 mode for using in conjunction with either the s35 mode and a x2 anamorphic squeeze???

If I can get an uncropped 2.66 anamorphic image (in both stills and video mode) with it in 4k -- then this camera will be for me

Please confirm.
Looking to use my FF lenses with a x2 anamorphic front element attached onto them and then use this lens setup while on a s35/ apsC sensor crop mode so that I can actually utilize the wider FF lens focal lengths of 35mm and 25mm~basically shooting right down the middle of the barrel since not the entire FFVV sensor will be used.

of course, maybe also using the 16x9 mode with this lense setup will work too but I would need to know what the uncropped aspect ratio will be if I use my 2x adaptor and also how wide a focal length I could go on that sensor size.

Also random note-- does the MagicLantern 1DX hack actually work on the 1DC since they are very similar cameras???  Reason I ask is because I do know ML does provide all the anamorphic mode functions I do need for this desired setup

9 hours ago, Robinhood said:

Does the 1DC have a 4:3 mode for using in conjunction with either the s35 mode and a x2 anamorphic squeeze???

If I can get an uncropped 2.66 anamorphic image (in both stills and video mode) with it in 4k -- then this camera will be for me

Please confirm.
Looking to use my FF lenses with a x2 anamorphic front element attached onto them and then use this lens setup while on a s35/ apsC sensor crop mode so that I can actually utilize the wider FF lens focal lengths of 35mm and 25mm~basically shooting right down the middle of the barrel since not the entire FFVV sensor will be used.

of course, maybe also using the 16x9 mode with this lense setup will work too but I would need to know what the uncropped aspect ratio will be if I use my 2x adaptor and also how wide a focal length I could go on that sensor size.

Also random note-- does the MagicLantern 1DX hack actually work on the 1DC since they are very similar cameras???  Reason I ask is because I do know ML does provide all the anamorphic mode functions I do need for this desired setup

No. You essentially have a 1DX with crop factor modes like a 1.3x APS-H Cinema 4k MJPEG mode and a 1.5x s35mm 1080p ALL-I mode (and fake 1080p 60p FF) with unlimited recording and C-Log. That's all.

You need to crop in further on the 1.3x crop C4k (losing a lot of information in the process) and de-squeeze it manually. This camera is not meant to use like that in today's age.

No, there is absolutely no hack on the 1DX, and there will never be.

19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And in my view it is even less likely the 1D C will get ML

One emerges from the other statement

Apart from adding a heatsink and a C sticker, they are exactly the same hardware. And I think so many people (from the ones who actually bought it, they didn't shift that many) got angry with the depreciation (probably the biggest ever) that I don't think Canon will ever bring this concept back again, they have changed their strategy a little. We should almost thank for them for the option of a 100$ 5D IV C-Log profile or that it's even 'free' on their newest camera.

I wonder how much money they made with the 1DC, as opposed to a less profitable, but much higher volume Cinema product.