Canon 1DC in 2018

Hitfabryk

Is it still interesting?, I can buy it for 2499,- euro @ a respected foto/film shop with 1 year full support.

I recently bought a C100M1 because I was curiuos and I like it.

Colours, handling, ND filters, XLR audi, small files and so on.

After being so entousiastic I came across this 1DC offer and thought about seeing that one as a 'bigger brother'.

(I do own Sony cams: A7Smk1 A7Rii, 2 Rx10's and a RX100IV) 

What do you guys think about this GAS? What would you do?

Or should I look more forward..C200, EVA ..that's a lot of money.

For my studio I need a few cam's (music video registration) that's the place my sony's 'work'

Any input would be fine.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
15 minutes ago, Hitfabryk said:

Is it still interesting?, I can buy it for 2499,- euro @ a respected foto/film shop with 1 year full support.

Absolutely the best image you can get in 2018 on a pure 4K quality basis (if you don't mind 1.3x crop) and an absolute monster of a full frame stills camera.

It depends how you are going to use it though.

Manual focus only in video mode, stick it on a tripod and hit record. Ok. Handheld with IS lenses...hmm... ok-ish I suppose. Anything more elaborate than that and the ergonomics will hurt you. The lack of articulated screen, EVF, audio functionality and HUGE file sizes are the complete opposite of your C100.

Long recordings on this baby are a no-no unless you love buying MANY large CF cards, MANY batteries and transcoding to ProRes LT before editing.

I recently bought a C100M1 because I was curiuos and I like it.

Colours, handling, ND filters, XLR audi, small files and so on.

After being so entousiastic I came across this 1DC offer and thought about seeing that one as a 'bigger brother'.

Absolutely the bigger brother in terms of image quality but the smaller sister in terms of literally everything else haha.

(I do own Sony cams: A7Smk1 A7Rii, 2 Rx10's and a RX100IV) 

Or should I look more forward..C200, EVA ..that's a lot of money.

For my studio I need a few cam's (music video registration) that's the place my sony's 'work'

Any input would be fine.

2500 euros with 1 year support is a superb deal

At least if you don't get on with the handling, you could sell it on eBay for more and buy something else.

The ones to consider are:

D850

A7R3

GH5/GH5S with Canon EF Speed Booster XL

Thanks Andrew, 

Very good thoughts to consider.

What about the HD 1080, I heard it it quite good, should that be a nice match for the C100? 

And occasionally use the 4K and off course the still capacity. (compared to my A7Rii?)

Or is the 1DC than a 'overkill'?

The Nikon is so interesting but regarding my sony's the A7Riii would be a better choice I think.

I don't know, somehow I am tempted by the 'mojo' I suspect from the 1DC but maybe in the light

what has come on the market lately that's partly a fairytale?

Thanks

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Hitfabryk said:

What about the HD 1080, I heard it it quite good, should that be a nice match for the C100? 

It's pretty good, better than 5D3 internally, benefits from Canon LOG too.

In 1.3x 4K mode it does the best 1080p you've ever seen out of the HDMI to recorder. It's just... stunning.

More cinematic than C100.

And occasionally use the 4K and off course the still capacity. (compared to my A7Rii?)

One of best stills camera available today.

1D X basically. 1D X Mark II image is practically identical, just adds Dual Pixel AF. I had a hunch that the 1D C image is less plastic looking than 1D X Mark II, because of off-board A/D conversion rather than moving to on-chip (in-line A/D) on the 1D X 2. Not sure if I am right or not as not gone too deep into testing it, because they are so similar.

Or is the 1DC than a 'overkill'?

The Nikon is so interesting but regarding my sony's the A7Riii would be a better choice I think.

I don't know, somehow I am tempted by the 'mojo' I suspect from the 1DC but maybe in the light

It's definitely got mojo, that's for sure.

It's pretty good, better than 5D3 internally, benefits from Canon LOG too.

In 1.3x 4K mode it does the best 1080p you've ever seen out of the HDMI to recorder. It's just... stunning.

More cinematic than C100.

Could I use a Ninja Blade for that?

Edit: It's a Atomos Ninja 2.

I use the 1DC on a daily basis and switch between the 4K and super35 modes according to what I’m doing. The super35 mode is like having a C100 with better low light (except you can’t mount most EF-s lenses on it!) the 4K mode is to die for. It’s been so hard for me to justify “upgrading” to anything else because when I shoot with a modern camera... it still pales in comparison. Even the 1DX II doesn’t do it justice because of log. Andrew makes a great C Log for it... but it’s still just not the same and even he would admit that I’m sure. 

I recently built out a rig that is the most balanced and amazing handheld rig I’ve ever built with it. Wooden camera DSLR cage, with handles and the smallhd focus. 

4EE4CF7F-F8E3-420B-8C39-367025C750CB.jpeg

I convert all my footage I shoot in 4K to ProRes LT. It’s a pain but whatever. I don’t care. 

Edit Ready 2.0 is a great program for it, and I’d imagine on an iMac pro it would convert in no time. Even on my base model 13” MacBook Pro it doesn’t really take that long. 

1.3x is the only thing that drives me crazy to be honest. If it were true full frame a 24-105 would be all I’d carry around, but because it’s a weird crop and no lenses are designed for it... you kinda have to own a 16-35 AND a 24-70. 

I only use my Contax Zeiss glass on it and they pair perfectly. That nice vintage character paired with that milky smooth 4K canon log. It’s the best image quality I’ve ever had and I’m so happy about it still in 2018. I never want to part with it unless I become rich and buy a RED EPIC VV or Arri Alexa Mini. 

I don’t think the camera is impractical for handheld work or whatever. Just treat it like you would with a RED or Arri and it’s the same type of workflow. 

Definitely still a great camera for video and pics. I have one and will probably never sell it because I love its look so much. 

That said, I doubt that I would've bought it if i'd seen and read this thread beforehand: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-333479.html

And unlike most Canon dslrs the 1DC can't fix dead/stuck/hot pixels internally. You have to send it in to Canon which will cost you, and is also only a temporary fix because the issue apparently returns in time.

13 hours ago, Hitfabryk said:

Sounds like you already have a tonne of cameras!

Thus worth looking deep inside yourself to see if you're a GAS sufferer and perhaps you need to nip this thought off at the bud.

One approach which helps for me is to consider ROI (Return on Investment). 

Will the 1D C earn you more money than not having it? Will it do so better than any other place you could put that money? (technical term: "lost opportunity cost". I'm a hard core economics nerd by the way... if you can't tell already! ha)

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The ones to consider are:

D850

A7R3

GH5/GH5S with Canon EF Speed Booster XL

We're spoiled for choices around that price point! 

Got also the Sony FS700 / Sony PMW-F3 / JVC LS300 / RED ONE / URSA Mini / etc

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can use any 1080p HDMI recorder for that. Yes Ninja 2 would work. Ninja Star as well (to keep small form factor).

Have used the Ninja 2, and its monitor is so shit it is hard to really use it as a monitor / recorder.

The Atomos Ninja Blade (I own the Samurai Blade, which is SDI, for my Sony F3) is so dirt cheap as well that I very strongly recommend the small extra cost of this over the Ninja 2 (or instead of a Ninja Blade, a BMD Video Assist is a good choice too). 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

1.3x is the only thing that drives me crazy to be honest. If it were true full frame a 24-105 would be all I’d carry around, but because it’s a weird crop and no lenses are designed for it... you kinda have to own a 16-35 AND a 24-70.

Good point

However on the other-hand it has some advantages.

Sigma 24-35mm F2 ART becomes a 30-45mm which is quite useful with the extra reach you are almost getting a 28mm wide angle and 50mm prime in one.

I have been kicking around buying a 1Dc also. But the C Fast card usage in day and age is just almost a deal breaker to me. Yeah you can do it, but Why LoL. And no real AF to talk about in video, like has been said about the crop in 4k, wow it all adds up to, God I can have a GH5s with a Speedbooster for the same money, or a Sony A7r mk III. And That is not counting the cost saving of only having to buy SD cards!

I just don't think they are a viable camera to buy now, yeah if you Already have one, and can afford to not often use it sure, but to buy one now, I think they are way past there real usefulness.

• Administrators

1. It doesn't take C-Fast. It is plain 1000x compact flash.

2. Alexa and RED don't have AF either! Right tool for the job and all that

3. So many people have a Canon DSLR. Why not trade it in and get a better stills camera - one of their absolute best in fact - and have a cinema camera thrown in for free. Sounds like a bargain to me. The image has to be seen to be believed.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

3. So many people have a Canon DSLR. Why not trade it in and get a better stills camera - one of their absolute best in fact - and have a cinema camera thrown in for free.

This is exactly what continues to keep me interested in this as a 'second' camera.

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

3. So many people have a Canon DSLR. Why not trade it in and get a better stills camera - one of their absolute best in fact - and have a cinema camera thrown in for free. Sounds like a bargain to me. The image has to be seen to be believed.

@Andrew Reid what are your thoughts on the lack of a practical dead pixel fix? Especially considering that if you're buying used, it isn't always easy to tell which ones might have the issue. Do you really think the image is worth the expense? (I believe on that dead pixel thread there are reports of people having to send their 1DC in to Canon every year or so bcuz the dead pixels keep coming back)

In terms of GAS, I'd suggest making a list of what you need to shoot your videos, and what problems you have with your current setup.

Then look at the potential purchase and see if it fixes any of your problems while still meeting your other criteria.

Then think about if the size of the problem is large enough to justify the cost of buying the new equipment.

If the purchase passes those tests (and you can afford it), then buy it.  If it fails, it's GAS.

Good luck! :)

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I have been kicking around buying a 1Dc also. But the C Fast card usage in day and age is just almost a deal breaker to me. Yeah you can do it, but Why LoL. And no real AF to talk about in video, like has been said about the crop in 4k, wow it all adds up to, God I can have a GH5s with a Speedbooster for the same money, or a Sony A7r mk III. And That is not counting the cost saving of only having to buy SD cards!

I just don't think they are a viable camera to buy now, yeah if you Already have one, and can afford to not often use it sure, but to buy one now, I think they are way past there real usefulness.

The V90 cards needed to shoot the highest bitrate on the GH5s costs more than CF cards. An for the money, the GH5s just cannot match the IQ of the 1DC. But there are other perks to the GH5s... hmm... tough call. I’d go with the 1DC every day of the week.