NX1 Dynamic Range Question

Allen Smith

I heard that the dynamic range on NX1 sucks but not sure if that is true or not. I really wanted to see some footage from someone who has tested the camera outdoors in high contrast situations to see who well it holds on to details. For example I would like to see a filmed scene with clouds and also landscape with person in scene to see if it can keep them properly exposed without clipping the clouds or underexposing the person that is in the scene. Any sample footage would be great to see and list the settings used to help me understand if the NX1 is a good purchase in 2018.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/3/2018 at 7:10 PM, Allen Smith said:

I heard that the dynamic range on NX1 sucks but not sure if that is true or not. I really wanted to see some footage from someone who has tested the camera outdoors in high contrast situations to see who well it holds on to details. For example I would like to see a filmed scene with clouds and also landscape with person in scene to see if it can keep them properly exposed without clipping the clouds or underexposing the person that is in the scene. Any sample footage would be great to see and list the settings used to help me understand if the NX1 is a good purchase in 2018.

Samsung and DXOMark say the DR is around 13 stops. But having used the camera for over 3 years now I would say it's closer to 10-11, and perhaps 12 with Luca's NXL speedbooster. 

Is it a good camera to buy in 2018? Yes, of course. Honestly, most camera's built when 4k was the hot buzzword are still viable systems today. We are really nearing the point of diminishing return.

Are you going to get BMD, RED or Arri quality? No. Those cameras are in the range of 14-16 stops  and write to 12-14 bit RAW or high-end Apple Prores codecs. 

Can you make a short or even feature film with the NX1 with decent quality? Absolutely.

If Netflix or Hulu hired you to shoot one of their productions could you use the NX1? Absolutely not. Nor could you use the GH4/GH5/s or any of the Sony flavored DSLM systems either.
Not happening. 

Could you shoot your own finished film on the NX1 and submit it to Netflix or Hulu? Absolutely. 

There are a shit-ton of examples of NX1 footage, and good place to see some of the best examples is to start at my petition site here:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/samsung-keep-nx-alive

From personal experience, I can tell you the 6.5k sensor is extremely sensitive to light. Highlights often clip so you have to often shoot to the left a bit. But this is also true of the Panasonic, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Leica, Fuji, etc., etc. in the same class. In the $1,000-3,000 price bracket, this is what you get and can expect. That being said, there are techniques, tricks and tips in getting a better image out of these cameras. If you know their weaknesses, you know what to avoid. Personally, I think these limitations force you to be a better cinematographer and think outside the box. 

Ah that sucks. 

I've had a few ones lined up myself over the last couple of years or so, never had a falling out, but something or another comes up preventing it (budget often!). 

I'm not too bothered though, moved on to focus on sound recording instead. Done sound for a full feature, and parts on others, got another lined up in a few weeks' time but not so sure again about doing it (again, budget! Bit low....). 

6 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

@Matthew Hartman

@NX1user

You  two should collaborate.  Your states are next door !   

I've actually never been to that part of Oregon. I do frequent Portland though.

I'm not into filming docs or talking heads, but love watching them, and all manor of camera and film equipment tech, particularly what's on the cutting edge 3-10 years out. 

On 2/9/2018 at 4:35 AM, IronFilm said:

Ah that sucks. 

I've had a few ones lined up myself over the last couple of years or so, never had a falling out, but something or another comes up preventing it (budget often!). 

I'm not too bothered though, moved on to focus on sound recording instead. Done sound for a full feature, and parts on others, got another lined up in a few weeks' time but not so sure again about doing it (again, budget! Bit low....). 

It's okay, the Director's vision was too far out there for me as I discovered after shooting the trailor. It was the first time working together and we got along on an interpersonal level just fine.

She's a very abstract creator and I made a conscious decision that her style would have reflected poorly on me as a cinematographer. She wanted diliberate poor quality and to break pretty much every faithful principle. The function behind that was not clear to me and she had trouble articulating that in a way that made sense outside of her own brain. She is an outstanding director in terms of getting some really solid performances out of inexperienced actors, so I did learn some things in the process. She took no excuses.