Who was it who asked about 0.58x BMPCC Speed Booster on the GH5S? Well....

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Holy s***!

First let's just say my BMPCC Speed Boosters were, erm, disassembled and rattling around in a box. Had completely abandoned them - since I stopped using the Pocket Cinema Camera - then, Metabones updated the firmware to kill the BMPCC 0.58x on the GH4 (the only camera it fits). They did this for a very good reason - it could damage the shutter, goes very deep. My EF version does not fit the GH5S at all. You can screw the glass out away from the sensor and it will mount but then no infinity and after 1 second the screen goes blank and camera says 'lens not connected'. Boo.

The NIKON version on the other hand... It's pant wetting good.

Not only does it fit...

FULL FRAME field of view in Cinema 4K.

It clears the sensor housing. Infinity focus. Actually, allows you to fine tune to infinity as it even goes past infinity!!

By the way, with this camera, the GH5S 4096 x 2160 mode is wider than 3840 x 2160 - uses more width on the sensor (mutli-aspect sensor) - full 19mm of sensor BEFORE speed booster applied!!

Apply the BMPCC 0.58x Speed Booster factor to that and you get...

1.07x crop on full frame - i.e., basically nothing. Naaathing. It's full frame.. LOL.

Here's the calculations just for fun:

• 1.86 * 0.58 focal reducer = 1.07x crop
  • Or you can do the 1.86x crop diagonal, that is 1.07x 

Even more fun are the pictures.

Oh my god.

Inky blacks in 10bit

F0.75

Clean ISO 12,800 in hybrid LOG gamma

At least 13 stops dynamic range like raw Blackmagic

No IBIS, so no shifting vignette (Although don't expect corner sharpness to be all that)

Sharp image wide open at F1.4 on my Nikon 58mm AF-S

Will shoot some footage with it and put it on the blog.

So we can finally say... out loud...

Panasonic GH5S, full frame 10bit camera

GH5S owners... Get those Nikon Metabones SB 0.58x out immediately!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Got that lens. Will give it a go.

Remember this stuff has limits... corners not sharp on certain shots for instance, but I'm just glad it works, gives full frame image in 10bit and rest is history.

F0.75 with GH5S is some serious low light potential.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yet another reason to worship at the House of Nikon! ;-) 

Long may our Nikkor Overlords Rule. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Compared to Nikon D850 looks more like a 1.2x crop.

Maybe because the D850 is secretly a small medium format camera? :-P

Once upon a time I widely used BMPCC speedbooster on G(H) cameras - problem is not so much in crop/vignetting ratio. There's some serious distortion issue at the corners, no matter if it is full frame or crop frame lens being used. Probably thickness of a booster's glass which cause difraction... At any case you have to cutoff corners.

Yes, it somehow help. But problem is that near the whole edges of a frame, curve of sharpness dropped extremely fast and ugly - if it is full frame lens, there is effect as some sort of heat distortion that forced you to cut part of image. It is most pronounced in the region about the corner - so in 2.39 ratio it is less visible. So, I think, don't bet that you can use simple formula that bring you in full frame field of view with BMPCC speedbooster.

7 hours ago, cantsin said:

The limitation of the BMPCC Speed Booster remains that it is optically designed for a 1"/s16 image circle (which why it can have the extreme 0.58x factor) but won't be usable on any bigger sensor. The image circle of the GH5s is considerably larger than s16.

Nah, what happened is the BMPCC has an extra glass in front of the sensor so they had a different optical formula when designing the dedicated SB for it. I had a regular 0.71x SB as well and when paired with the Pocket I had a very uneven sharpness across the frame. Probably it's the same low performance what Andrew is seeing on the GH5S since the 0.58x SB wasn't made for it.

• 2 years later...

Wo

On 2/4/2018 at 2:18 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Holy s***!

First let's just say my BMPCC Speed Boosters were, erm, disassembled and rattling around in a box. Had completely abandoned them - since I stopped using the Pocket Cinema Camera - then, Metabones updated the firmware to kill the BMPCC 0.58x on the GH4 (the only camera it fits). They did this for a very good reason - it could damage the shutter, goes very deep. My EF version does not fit the GH5S at all. You can screw the glass out away from the sensor and it will mount but then no infinity and after 1 second the screen goes blank and camera says 'lens not connected'. Boo.

Not only does it fit...

FULL FRAME field of view in Cinema 4K.

So we can finally say... out loud...

Panasonic GH5S, full frame 10bit camera

GH5S owners... Get those Nikon Metabones SB 0.58x out immediately!!

I'm about to buy a Panasonic G9. I guess the 0.58x Nikon metabones speedbooster will also fit this camera ? No risk to mount it ? i mean damage the camera ?

I have this lens, Tokina 11-20 2.8, how much vigetting would it produce ? ^^

Thank you :)