Sony A7riii - HDR HLG - Yay or Nay?

Robert Collins

It’s not only Sony, also Panasonic and other use 8bit HLG. If 8bit would be a restriction this implementation would be nonsense.

It is up to the television producer if he accept h.264 as HDR. I have a LG HDR television and the original Sony files don’t switch my television into HDR mode. For LG it is an issue on the codec. If you transfer the file into HEVC (h.265) without changing anything it works fine and it doesn’t matter if it is only 8bit and/or only FullHD. 4k is also recommended in Bt.2020.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, famoss said:

It’s not only Sony, also Panasonic and other use 8bit HLG. If 8bit would be a restriction this implementation would be nonsense.

It is up to the television producer if he accept h.264 as HDR. I have a LG HDR television and the original Sony files don’t switch my television into HDR mode. For LG it is an issue on the codec. If you transfer the file into HEVC (h.265) without changing anything it works fine and it doesn’t matter if it is only 8bit and/or only FullHD. 4k is also recommended in Bt.2020.

Sony is the only brand that use 8bit for HLG. Panasonic (GH5/s), Canon, JVC all enforces 10bit, with either H.264 or HEVC.

Until now 8bit is the only possibility. I hope on a firmware update but I suppose it won’t come. I am sure the next A7SIII will be able to record in 10 bit, let’s see.

Is HLG limited to 10 bit only in GH5? I have seen that on higher frame rates GH5 is also running in 8 bit.

Just now, famoss said:

Until now 8bit is the only possibility. I hope on a firmware update but I suppose it won’t come. I am sure the next A7SIII will be able to record in 10 bit, let’s see.

Is HLG limited to 10 bit only in GH5? I have seen that on higher frame rates GH5 is also running in 8 bit.

Yes HLG is only in 10 bit. So no 4k 60p or 70-180fps HD. You can do 60p HD HLG though. 

• 1 year later...