Jittery Pans with a6500 / a6300

Mark Romero 2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Looks way better than in your first clip where even the jutter was juttery. That looks like normal 30fps.

Thanks for the observation. That helps give me a direction to figure out what I am doing wrong.

22 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

MAke sure to turn the detail all the way to -7. Sometimes the judder is from in camera sharpening.

I will try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 9 months later...

I also have this problem and am searching for a solution. I just made a project that used super slow pans, and I am getting this jittery effect despite the pans being very slow. I'm shooting, wide open at 25fps, and 1/50. 

I am beginning to think it is the IBIS that is the cause. It makes no sense to not see blurry pans, but instead see a succession frames with no blur, which is what it looks like. Is the IBIS  fighting the panning motion?

I used the a6500 with IBIS on and with a crane initially and the result was awful. The corners of the footage was vibrating vert slightly, and noticeable when the gimbal was held still for still handheld shots.

When not using the crane, with IBIS on, it also has this jittery pan effect, but not the vibrating corners (which I gather is the IBIS fighting the crane stabilisation). 

The question is, does it happen with IBIS off? In which case, what is the point of IBIS for video? This is why I bought this camera. 

I am not too sure IBIS was really ever invented to be used for video. More for Photography. And even then probably more aimed at the amateur market than a Pro market.

Then these is the old do you turn off stabilization when it is on a tripod, or in your case a Gimbal or not? Who knows. And in what circumstance is it necessary or not.

And then we are talking Sony, which seems to have about the worse IBIS of them all on average. So...

23 hours ago, esti said:

I also have this problem and am searching for a solution. I just made a project that used super slow pans, and I am getting this jittery effect despite the pans being very slow. I'm shooting, wide open at 25fps, and 1/50. 

I am beginning to think it is the IBIS that is the cause. It makes no sense to not see blurry pans, but instead see a succession frames with no blur, which is what it looks like. Is the IBIS  fighting the panning motion?

I used the a6500 with IBIS on and with a crane initially and the result was awful. The corners of the footage was vibrating vert slightly, and noticeable when the gimbal was held still for still handheld shots.

When not using the crane, with IBIS on, it also has this jittery pan effect, but not the vibrating corners (which I gather is the IBIS fighting the crane stabilisation). 

The question is, does it happen with IBIS off? In which case, what is the point of IBIS for video? This is why I bought this camera. 

I am the original poster of this thread and still using the same a6500, same Sony 10-18 lens, and same original Crane gimbal as when I started this thread.

I haven't really compared turning IBIS off and leaving it on to see if it makes a difference. Maybe over the next few weeks as business slows down I will have more time to do so.

I have found that panning a lot slower, and also shooting at 30fps but putting it on a 24fps timeline, helps out quite a bit with overall smoothness. Of course, I do videos of architecture, so it is not like I have to worry about audio problems or anything like that when conforming 30fps down to 24fps.

There were suggestions to use a slightly slower shutter speed than half the FPS rate. So use 1/50th instead of 1/60th shooting at 30fps. I have done that - mostly to deal with low light scenarios - and it does seem to work a bit. But then, what's the point in shooting in 4K if everything is kind of blurry???

14 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

But then, what's the point in shooting in 4K if everything is kind of blurry???

I agree, what is the point in compensating with frame rates and timelines, for somerthing that should just work. 

I will do some tests without IBIS on and post. I'm basing my hunch on the lens stabilisation on my canon 5D zoom lens, i remember shooting on a tripod doing pans, and it looked so jittery (much worse than this issue) but when stabilisation was turned off, it solved the problem. It would make sense if it is fighting the pan. The question is, is is this something that happens in the a7 series?

The 24fps frame rate  just can't handle fast pans and it's a limitation of the medium either film or video but particularly video with non global shutters and the refresh rate of the screen you are viewing it on can add to the problem. Also when you are panning with a very wide lens you get extra movement at the edges of the frame due to the perspective distortion.

I recall some issues that Dave Dugdale had with the a6xxx cameras that looked like IBIS and IS fighting each other.  I don't recall if it ever got resolved, but I think that the only way to work out what is going on is to do a logical evaluation through testing.  Shoot a shot with everything plain settings and verify that you can get a smooth pan like that.  After you've established a baseline start adding in the settings you use one by one and see which one 'creates' the problem.  Then leave that setting on and start reverting the previously adjusted settings back to your baseline and see if it comes good again, and if so then it will be a combination of multiple settings.

• 2 months later...

Did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having the exact same problem with my a6500 + zhiyun + Rokinon 12mm. I usually shoot video tours at 24p/50fps but switched to 30p/60fps and the jitters are BAD:

VIDEO

I also edit in Resolve and noticed that the jitters are completely random when playing back in the preview monitor. Sometimes the video jitters, sometimes it doesn't. Mistakenly I used a 24p timeline for the linked video and figured that was the issue but I did a test with a 30p timeline and exported a 5 second pan and it had a similar issue. Not sure what exactly is causing this as the video straight from the camera seems to be fine so I'm assuming frames are being dropped in Resolve for whatever reason. I also tried viewing in a 1080 vs 4k timeline and it doesn't seem to make a difference (I always shoot 4k and export to 1080). 

I notice the jitters at 24p but they are far more subtle. I haven't tried shooting at 30p/50fps yet so I'll give that a shot.