Huge upswing in Canon camera sales during 2017

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Surprise-camera-comeback-drives-Canon-earnings-rally

"In 2017, even as many abandoned hope for growth in such operations, the digital camera market rose for the first time in five years, aided by people's desire to shine on the photo-sharing social media platform Instagram. Healthy sales of mirrorless cameras propelled Canon to a 22% operating profit gain in a segment that had been on an uninterrupted decline. The surprise turnaround left supply nearly unable to catch up with demand at one point, and a major camera plant in Nagasaki Prefecture is still working to ramp up output."

I don't understand normies.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You might understand them better if you tried the latest Canon mirrorless cameras (M5/M6/M100, all having the same sensor and image quality). If you are a photographer - not a videographer - they're really nice, rounded and mature APS-C cameras with superb ergonomics, out-the-cam images, dual-pixel autofocus in bodies that are as compact and light as MFT cameras.

We should understand "normies" and enthusiast/PROs and take our conclusions from there: normal people need something cheap, reliable and good enough, which perfectly describes the Canon entry line. 1080p is enough, because it looks as good as 4K from a tiny smartphone sensor. Smaller file sizes make for easier sharing, because that is what happens to that footage - you share it as quickly as possible. Also, having a sort of monopoly for many years now gives you a great physical store presence, which is paramount to a normie.

Then you have enthusiasts/PROs who may prefer Canon color and DPAF above all or may be bound by their previously bought lenses. In any case, this is a much smaller market and Canon knows that. They optimize cost, because total volume of shipped cameras is going to fall no matter the innovation (people prefer convenience of smartphones). Sony et al. try to outdo each other with their R&D effort and higher margin bodies, which looks impressive on paper, but will never reach the volume of entry-level bodies.

AFAIK this is not likely to change anytime soon - there are still huge markets where the level of affluence is only now permitting a large number of people to buy their Rebels with kit lenses to show off in front of their peers. And by then, Canon will optimize their production line to perfection, making bank, while leaving innovation for their cinema line.

We are the 1% of the 1%!  

Eos M would always be my first recommendation for amateurs, willing to buy a system camera. They are build to appeal to large masses of people, doing simple things right. I wouldn’t buy one right now (even though That was my original idea, before going NX), but the lack of native lenses/pro bodies/technology isn’t there yet for most of us (the 1% percenters, of the 1%).

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Surprise-camera-comeback-drives-Canon-earnings-rally

"In 2017, even as many abandoned hope for growth in such operations, the digital camera market rose for the first time in five years, aided by people's desire to shine on the photo-sharing social media platform Instagram. Healthy sales of mirrorless cameras propelled Canon to a 22% operating profit gain in a segment that had been on an uninterrupted decline. The surprise turnaround left supply nearly unable to catch up with demand at one point, and a major camera plant in Nagasaki Prefecture is still working to ramp up output."

I don't understand normies.

For every blogger like you Andrew, there're 10 sponsored by Canon. Who's going to be louder? As I've said before (and you know too) Canon only works with those who're positive about them as much as possible.

Here's a new example: In a completely unrelated site, someone was saying that the best camera for vlogging is a Canon 6D because some YouTuber recommended it. Turns out Canon has been sending 6Ds to high-profile YouTube vloggers to push the camera for that purpose. You can't deny marketing like that is effective.

• Administrators

So if it is the very casual EOS M models driving these sales with normies, it may lead to something positive for us as well - a mirrorless camera for enthusiasts. You know, like every single other manufacturer has already offered for years :)

The EOS M5 and M6 are toys.

Nice toys (for stills), but still toys.

The only reason I would buy an M5 or M6 is to load my EOSHD canon picture profiles on for JPEGs and sharing these JPEGs on social media without raw workflow. Would never use them for YouTube or any kind of video work.

Since the M3, they are literally Powershots inside (Which is why Magic Lantern won't port to the M5, etc.)

Hardly any native lenses.

Absolutely terrible video quality, which limits appeal with YouTubers who need 4K (an increasing number)

Very few innovative touches.

Yet Canon continue to sell well... Brand image, user friendly ergonomics and colour, competitive prices.

Innovation clearly is not the only thing that sells.

Although you could say that even if sales are recovering, they will never reach heights of pre-smartphone era ever again... and that was an innovation problem.

Looking at the Amazon sales rankings, its low end DLSR's are still king. The Rebel T6 - not sure what its called in the rest of the world - is #1.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Digital-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/281052

I've been to 52 countries in the last year an a half, and visited hundreds of tourist sites, CaNikon DSLR's are still big with casual photographers. 

Chris