Are we going to talk about Netflix's "Bright"?

Damphousse

I took a look at 'Bright' (which I had never heard of) mostly because of this thread.

In the UK we have an expression - a marmite film - meaning that you are going to either really 'love' it or 'hate' it and I do like watching marmite films. But Bright, I stopped watching after 20 minutes. It almost certainly isnt the worst film of the year but it was pretty terrible.

According to Cinemascore the worst film of 2017 was 'Mother'. It received an 'F' - the lowest score you can get and the first film to receive an 'F' since 2012. Mother is definitely a marmite film - I loved it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'd also suggest considering the later. Appreciating another's opinion, if not their actual taste in a film, is a way to get turned onto cinema you might never otherwise see.

True..  I rarely watch movies these days actually, mostly watching TV shows (mostly ones where there is no episode-only plot lines - so they're more like a movie delivered in chunks) and youtube videos / documentaries.

I do understand there's an art to introducing characters, pummelling the crap out of them and then wrapping it all up, and having it fit into 75-120 minutes, but mostly that constraint doesn't seem to have any intrinsic value to me and if there's enough story in the story (so to speak) then making a TV show out of it and having 6 hours (UK) or 10-17 hours (US) to tell the story makes it a better experience because there's more time to develop characters and story etc.  Obviously though, if there isn't enough story in the story then longer is much worse than shorter (eg, Sherlock vs Elementary where the UK told the story in 6 hours and the US version had the same 6 hours of story but also about 12 hours of filler).

1 hour ago, kye said:

True..  I rarely watch movies these days actually, mostly watching TV shows (mostly ones where there is no episode-only plot lines - so they're more like a movie delivered in chunks

I do like a good TV series; anthology series especially.  More like a novel whereas a movie is like a short story.

3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

According to Cinemascore the worst film of 2017 was 'Mother'. It received an 'F' - the lowest score you can get and the first film to receive an 'F' since 2012. Mother is definitely a marmite film - I loved it.

I'm with you there.  Mother was wonderfully bonkers and metaphorically crazy.  More of that ambitious stuff for me.