Panasonic G6 vs GH2 video test!

Julian

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Nikon d5200 stills iq is very good, but the banding in deep shadows is very concerning and it manifests itself as fixed pattern noise too in video. Add in the lack of an evf for video work and its not really as flexible as the Panasonic series, although arguably has better iq with the right glass! The lack of 1080/50/60 too and an electronic shutter for totally silent stills shooting makes the G6 very flexible and discrete system as well ;-)

Thanks for the input, I read about the pattern noise appearing at all isos is the shadows, but I couldn't see it on any of the videos I've been able to download.

I'm quite impressed with the Nikon's IQ, but frankly the EVF and 1080/50-60p are really important things for me to consider (EVF more)

and I've always loved the GH2 look which seems to be improved on this one, so...

Also apparently the Nikon has some issues dealing with aperture in video mode... not sure what to think about it.

What about the EVF on the G6? Earlier on this post I read it seems/feels smaller than the one on the GH2, is that the case? I used to have a Nex7 and absolutely loved the evf it's this one comparable?

Thanks again, y'all being really helpful :)

I just got a D5200 and the image quality is superb aside from the FPN, which probably gets blurred away in any re-compression for web.  You only see the true nastiness in the original file, but it definitely is there at all ISO's.

It's a pain to focus with the LCD though, and I'm sure the G6's EVF would be a big help.

The GH2 has noise banding issues of its own (especially in ETC mode).  I'm assuming the G6 has fixed that?

ETC does have banding agreed, but hey what DSLR has anything like that, its limitations are there but its totally unique anyway? I think that Nikon and Canon need to provide evf based shooting at some stage for a proper hybrid experience for joe public, until then Panasonic are currently in a league of their own. The G6 is perfectly pitched to really give Nikon and Canon a bloody nose this time? if people just realise what the evf brings I would not understand why anyone would pick say a D3200/5200/D700 etc over the G6.

I think I'll wait and get a G6, unless a cheap GH2 comes around....

But I'm used to the EVF ( I had a gh1, gh2 nex7 and 5n before) yesterday I was trying out my brothers 650D and I was really missing the EVF and mirror less functionality in general...

I did not found it comfortable to use, and I was surprised by the levels of noise, much higher than what I expected.

So even though I'm impressed by the images that come out of the nikon, I think the usability of the system will make me go G6.

BTW I found another g6 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th5bv5zBDxA&feature=player_embedded

I've already preordered one! They don't have the body only option so I have to stick with one of the 14-42mm lenses, is it worth it to pay 100€ plus for the X one  (motorised pancake).

I've also been checking Gh2vsGh3 videos, and although there's difference in the image, I expected the Gh3 to perform much better, and apart of better dynamic range and probably not banding they were very close.

Is there a way we can see a comparison between the G6 and the Gh3? Im curious to see if the dynamic range on the G6 is better than the GH2 how it compares to the Gh3, as it's half the price!

What are your thoughts on IQ specially in video mode against a let's say Nex 5n or 5r?

I have the option to get any of these Nex + chinese Speed Booster for less than the asking price for the G6 (I have one pre-ordered) and I'm wondering if the bigger sensor makes much of a difference.

Do you think it's a better option overall? I'm mainly interested in lowlight shooting, and portability is a plus.

Hi everybody

finally i have the G6 in my hands, i am doing some tests, specially for iso 

here you can see a test with cap on camera from 3200 to 160. I have to say in other test I did the is no moire, less banding, much less than GH2. 

You can help me to understand witch is better, it seem that 250 the noise is finer, but.....sure my try is not correct

you can download the original file on vimeo.

thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english 

antonio

Hi everybody

finally i have the G6 in my hands, i am doing some tests, specially for iso 

here you can see a test with cap on camera from 3200 to 160. I have to say in other test I did the is no moire, less banding, much less than GH2. 

You can help me to understand witch is better, it seem that 250 the noise is finer, but.....sure my try is not correct

you can download the original file on vimeo.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/67939595?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;color=f70a0e" width="705" height="397" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english 

antonio

Eu! Saludos desde Argentina! Voy a escribir en castellano e inglés para el resto. Pero por lo que veo los resultados son similares a lo que pasa con la GH2, en el sentido de que las ISO más limpias son 160, 320, 640, 1250 y 2500 (incluso puede verse que la ISO 1000 es mucho más ruidosa que 2500!). Interesante, creo que anda bastante bien considerando lo chiquita que es la cámara. De todos modos, el video original que tenés subido tiene compresión y eso esconde un poco el ruido. Y por cierto, si no sos usuario Plus creo que luego de una semana sólo vas a tener la versión en 720p nomás! Ah, otra cosa: en este foro no hace falta pegar un embed code, porque te sale así como en tu posteo, mucho código raro. Deberías copiar y pegar sólo el link del video, y con eso basta para que el reproductor quede insertado en tu post y se pueda ver desde acá directamente.

-

Now in English :)
To me it looks like the best ISOs are 160, 320, 640, 1250 y 2500, much like it happens in the GH2 (although these look cleaner, but that might have to do with the compression even in the original upload file). You can even see that ISO 1000 is a lot noisier than 2500!
I think it performs really well considering the price (well, I've never complained about my GH2 performance in this department, really, as long as you remember the ISO trick).

What do you guys think? I'm getting one of these no matter what RAW cameras are out there!

Still my camera of choice for this budget. Great little camera. It's very complete. Oled-EVF, high res tilt screen, 1080p50/60. Focus peaking, crop mode. Good stills quality too (less than the GH3 though). Amazing value for money!

Personally I'm thinking of leaving m43 completely though. Love my 50D with raw and while its not very practical, for my 'hobby' use its ok. I do want to have something smaller/easier (smaller files...) by its side. I thought that was going to be the G6, but lately I've been thinking about the sony RX100 because I would probably use it more than the G6 (could just keep it in my jacket pocket at all times).

Just afraid a successor might be on the horizon (pure guess) so I don't feel like buying it now. Holding onto my GH2 for a while to see what happens.

Hi guys, i would like to ask some things:

- It is possible to suggest to panasonic the 1080p 60p mode for Pal version? With a firmware update. It would be great!
- Focus Peaking and Magnificient view are aviable with a manual lens? Even by pushing a button..the important is that there's...

Thanks

With PAL GH3 you can get 60p slowed down to 24p with the 40% speed option, too bad G6 doesn't have the variable speed option

Hi guys, i would like to ask some things:

- It is possible to suggest to panasonic the 1080p 60p mode for Pal version? With a firmware update. It would be great!
- Focus Peaking and Magnificient view are aviable with a manual lens? Even by pushing a button..the important is that there's...

Thanks