Panasonic G6 vs GH2 video test!

Julian

I really like the noise on the G6. I don't know whether I should get a GH2 with more lenses or get the G6? What do you guys think? When do we expect the G6 to be available anyway?

I say go with the G6. 1080p50 is a nice bonus too. I don't see cheap GH2's flying around anyway. If you are really on a very tight budget, the GH2 is not a bad choice of course. Lenses don't have to be expensive, go for some old cheap glass from eBay.

Don't know when it is available. I have a test sample, it's actually pre production firmware. Will ask my Panasonic rep tomorrow cause I want to buy one myself asap :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can probably get the G6 with Kit lens and maybe 1 more lens, as opposed to the GH2 with kit and 2 other lenses. But your right the G6 has a lot of bonuses and I could just buy some cheaper Canon FDs or so.

Thanks for all the tests by the way. Do you mind doing a quick one to test the DR? A bit like in this video, so just underexpose something a lot :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPHIEU1X1Bo

I wonder if you can pull more out of the shadows in the G6

It's a bit smaller than the GH2, it is as plastic as the GH2 (very light), not as sturdy as the GH3. I actually prefer the ergonomics of the G6 over the GH2. The grip has a better shape.

It does feel like a €600 camera (because it is..) and not like a €1299 camera like the GH3.

Hey, Julian: can the ISO be changed while recording? This has really bothered me a lot of times with the GH2 (I don't know if you've already mentioned this).

the only cameras I know that change the iso automatically while recording are the consumer style Panasonic GF3 type cameras etc they use the ISO to brighten or darken the image as you move the camera around....not good! it's very annoying

Is there any camera that can do this? I never done it or wanted to do it.. but I'll give it a try.

@Andy: I'll check!

GH3 you can change ISO during recording.  I hope this can be done on the G6 as well!

It's a bit smaller than the GH2, it is as plastic as the GH2 (very light), not as sturdy as the GH3. I actually prefer the ergonomics of the G6 over the GH2. The grip has a better shape.

It does feel like a €600 camera (because it is..) and not like a €1299 camera like the GH3.

Thanks alot Julian, yeah I wasnt expecting much for that price range, but its an important factor as to how it feels and if the button layout/dials are positioned awkwardly and if the UI is decent.

Really hope we're not pestering you too much haha we really appreciate it! Thank you!

Is there any camera that can do this? I never done it or wanted to do it.. but I'll give it a try.

@Andy: I'll check!

the only cameras I know that change the iso automatically while recording are the consumer style Panasonic GF3 type cameras etc they use the ISO to brighten or darken the image as you move the camera around....not good! it's very annoying

Yeah, you wouldn't use it very often and looks ugly, but it happened me a couple of days ago, shooting a live show, that I didn't have time to check the lights on stage with the guy in charge and set the ISO to a level that I thought by eye would be fit (and I was forced to use a f5.6 aperture on that camera!) so when I realized it was too much and I wanted to get rid of that unnecesary noise by lowering the ISO I had to stop recording, change the ISO and then start recording again. And that was the master shot.

Of course, I had 4 other cameras to save me and this is a very uncommon scenario, but if there just happens to be an option this time it'd help me a lot.

Hello everyone!
This is my first post on this forum! I am very grateful for all the information on g6, because I'm going to buy it instead of my 5dmk2.
I have two questions. Is the HDMI output is 1080p? It's very annoying in 5d, when I use an external monitor.
The second question. Is there possibility of switching from PAL to NTSC region in G6, like in Canon?
Because I would like to use 60p and buy the Panasonic G6 in Europe.

Thank you very much!

Will do galenb. Peaking is only available in light blue, didn't find a menu option to change the color. Seems to work fine, like any other camera with peaking. I still experience some hit and miss shots though when using it, but I think that is always the case with peaking. Anyway, I'll show!

Also, I'm not sure if it's a world cam. I have a PAL cam with 1080p50,25,24, didn't find a menu option to switch to NTSC 60/30. I believe this is possible with the GH3 or am I mistaken? I don't care for 30 but 60 would be nice for slomo.