Key Light (Bowens Mount) Less Expensive Than Apurture?

Mark Romero 2

10 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I have seen a picture on a facebook group of somebody who used them side by side. And it seems identical. Maybe 2% less bright. Allthough I am wondering if I am going to miss the v-lock option. 

Oh, really? :O

Well that is nice to hear! I was thinking there would be a clear difference. I know that Aputure have battery option but it needs 2x V-lock and those need to be powerful v-lock batteries. I think it's quite much money and gear to carry. Also Aputure 300D light has quite loud power brick what I have heard.

Also in my style of shooting I often just use electricity straight from wall because shootings take that much time I would be needing so many spare batteries. So for me it mostly isn't issue.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Parker said:

@Gregormannschaft @IronFilm @markr041 

https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-led100d-mkii-daylight-balanced-led-studio-light/

They ship worldwide! Free shipping too. I'm in the US, so I got it even cheaper than the listed price, since that already includes VIT for you European folks. 

Oh hey they have a V mount version as well:

https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-led100d-mkii-plus-daylight-balanced-led-studio-light-with-v-mount-battery-plate/

Pity the price pushes me just over the GST threshold for importing 

10 hours ago, Parker said:

They ship worldwide!

Oh come on! They list Australia but not NZ

Damn you essentialphoto.co.uk

Check out the NOISE on the fan with this light:

But then again it is a FIVE HUNDRED WATT LED light!! :-o 

Heh, you can buy a 100W LED chip for only five bucks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161473769064

But has a horrifying CRI of 72! :-o 

However, kinda tempting. There are better ones:

https://store.yujiintl.com/collections/frontpage/products/bc-series-cob-400hs

@IronFilm yeah I dig that dude's videos! After his first big Yuji LED diy project caught my eye, I ended up buing one of those 100W 95+ CRI chips (it really does have perfect, even color that is indistinguible from daylight) and then I put a good friend of mine to the task of designng and putting together a light for me, he's into that sort of thing.

We decided to basically copy the pixapro design, just smaller. We mounted it to an old laptop heat sink and fan, then 3d printed a case with venting. He added a remote functionality too, which is sweet. I bought a Bowens speed ring adapter and we're currently in the process of figuring out the best way to mount it to the front. 

Such projects are obviously a lot more work than just buying a professional product, but if you enjoy the DIY process, a $100 super high-CRI light is tough to pass up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 8:07 AM, Parker said:

@IronFilm yeah I dig that dude's videos! After his first big Yuji LED diy project caught my eye, I ended up buing one of those 100W 95+ CRI chips (it really does have perfect, even color that is indistinguible from daylight) and then I put a good friend of mine to the task of designng and putting together a light for me, he's into that sort of thing.

We decided to basically copy the pixapro design, just smaller. We mounted it to an old laptop heat sink and fan, then 3d printed a case with venting. He added a remote functionality too, which is sweet. I bought a Bowens speed ring adapter and we're currently in the process of figuring out the best way to mount it to the front. 

Such projects are obviously a lot more work than just buying a professional product, but if you enjoy the DIY process, a $100 super high-CRI light is tough to pass up. 

Hey Parker!

I'm trying to do same thing basically but with 200w led. Any news on your progress?

On 2/1/2018 at 10:46 AM, IronFilm said:

I guess the big downside vs Aputure 300D is you can't power the Godox via battery power for even a moment. 

Actually Godox do sell an slb60w which is battery powered and can also be powered by an optional a/c unit. What is neat about it, is that the battery a/c attachment both work with their 600w flash. The less good news is the price which is over double the sl60w.

I can only find the SLB60 version in my country, it goes for 420euros. Does it worth it, or should I look elsewhere?

I could spend a couple of thousands of euros later on (end of 2018 or early 2019) for a few lights (maybe a couple of Lightstorms, Lupo?) but I would like just 1 key light, before, or at, Eastern.

What do you thing?

The dedicated battery without the need for V ones is a plus though..

Contains:
1x Godox SLB60W 5500K Led Video light
1x Reflector
1x Remote control
1x Lamp cover
1x Power cord
1x Battery charger

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I can only find the SLB60 version in my country, it goes for 420euros. Does it worth it, or should I look elsewhere?

I could spend a couple of thousands of euros later on (end of 2018 or early 2019) for a few lights (maybe a couple of Lightstorms, Lupo?) but I would like just 1 key light, before, or at, Eastern.

What do you thing?

The dedicated battery without the need for V ones is a plus though..

Contains:
1x Godox SLB60W 5500K Led Video light
1x Reflector
1x Remote control
1x Lamp cover
1x Power cord
1x Battery charger

From the videos I have seen online, The fans sound pretty loud (to me) so I would definitely look at some of the demonstration videos.

I was going to buy one of the SLB 100 but I don't know, woulld have to do the fan modification that is linked to earlier in this thread.

The mod seems quite straightforward. Take out the old fan(s) put some Nocturnal inside. I am reading similar things for Aputure too.

What do you thing about the price of the SBL though? 420euros it is not exactly cheap. Is there any simplier led with Sony F batteries available, or there aren’t any worth of consideration.

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Is there any simplier led with Sony F batteries available, or there aren’t any worth of consideration.

Well there are products like this one: 

NP-F Battery to V-Mount Battery Converter Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/ILEDGear-Battery-V-Mount-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00E0CEDIE

But a word of caution, when I first bought my Pixapro, not owning any v-mounts, I bought a similar converter hoping for an easy, affordable solution, but the F-type batteries unfortunately did not provide enough current to power the light. But I suspect for a smaller LED than mine,  something like that might work. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, Parker said:

Well there are products like this one: 

NP-F Battery to V-Mount Battery Converter Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/ILEDGear-Battery-V-Mount-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00E0CEDIE

But a word of caution, when I first bought my Pixapro, not owning any v-mounts, I bought a similar converter hoping for an easy, affordable solution, but the F-type batteries unfortunately did not provide enough current to power the light. But I suspect for a smaller LED than mine,  something like that might work. 

Hi Parker! Still waiting for your pictures! Thanks!

On 31/1/2018 at 9:25 PM, Teemu said:

I have in my set 4x Pixapro 100D MK II and 1x 200D.

I have used the Pixapro 100D MKII with a large softbox and they're great -silent, nice light- but found that a little more power would be welcome. It's meant to be used 1-1,5 metres away from the subject...

How is the Pixapro 200D? As good as the 100D but double the power? That could be a much more workable option for me.

Lately I've been using rented Kino Celeb 400s and they're great, but bulky and pricey. It's great having a large soft light powerful enough to shoot from a distance or through a scrim jim. A nice alternative: http://www.cinelight.com/led-lights/flexible-led-lights/ I've used the L model and it is really nice and lightweight, though not really that large. I believe these are the same lights sold under Falconeyes and Swit brands, but I've only seen the 120x40 240Watt at cinelight. It's tempting since it looks like a Celeb power wise at a fraction of the weight and price.

10 minutes ago, pablogrollan said:

I have used the Pixapro 100D MKII with a large softbox and they're great -silent, nice light- but found that a little more power would be welcome. It's meant to be used 1-1,5 metres away from the subject...

How is the Pixapro 200D? As good as the 100D but double the power? That could be a much more workable option for me.

Lately I've been using rented Kino Celeb 400s and they're great, but bulky and pricey. It's great having a large soft light powerful enough to shoot from a distance or through a scrim jim. A nice alternative: http://www.cinelight.com/led-lights/flexible-led-lights/ I've used the L model and it is really nice and lightweight, though not really that large. I believe these are the same lights sold under Falconeyes and Swit brands, but I've only seen the 120x40 240Watt at cinelight. It's tempting since it looks like a Celeb power wise at a fraction of the weight and price.

Yes the Pixapro 200D is a bit more powerful but still I would like it to be even more powerful. Even though someone said to me that it really competes against the Aputure 300D which I was suprised. I was thinking that Aputure would win easily hands down.

But what I can say about the Pixapro leds is that these lights can REALLY stand some rough conditions. I recently shot a music video in cold finnish winter weather. We were shooting outside on a frozen lake. Middle of the night, -20 degree celcius. I used all my Pixapro leds (4x 100D MK II + 1x 200D). All of them survived from that! I asked from the manufacturer before the shootings what they say about using them outside in really cold weather. They just replied to me: ”we really don’t know...”

Here is the video, just released:

4 hours ago, Teemu said:

All of them survived from that! I asked from the manufacturer before the shootings what they say about using them outside in really cold weather. They just replied to me: ”we really don’t know...”

Wow, through product testing beforehand by them! :-o Not :-P 

6 hours ago, Teemu said:

Yes the Pixapro 200D is a bit more powerful but still I would like it to be even more powerful. Even though someone said to me that it really competes against the Aputure 300D which I was suprised. I was thinking that Aputure would win easily hands down.

I guess the Aputure 120D would be the direct competition at that price point, which is still more expensive than the Pixapro 200D. I wonder how they fare.

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Wow, through product testing beforehand by them! :-o Not :-P 

I understand them this might be quite extreme question I asked. I believe these lights are designed for STUDIO shoots. But after all the abuse and conditions I have taken these through I can say they are totally fine to use outside even in rough weather. But can’t recommend it to anybody.

One of these lights were kicked over by one of my assistants when it was quite high on a lightstand. The light survived from that also!