Key Light (Bowens Mount) Less Expensive Than Apurture?

Mark Romero 2

Looking for a key light that is (not surprisingly) good and affordable and would (preferably) have a bowens mount so that I can use the same bowens mount accessories that I use with my strobe lights. Mostly an octabox or a rectangular 36" softbox.

I know that Aperture is supposed to make some good ones, but they seem to start around $600 or so. Definitely would prefer something a little more budget friendly. Say, under $300

Mostly to be used in interview settings (real estate agent interviews, corporate interviews, author interviews).

I already have a couple of (don't laugh / choke) Yongnuo light panels that are supposed to have a CRI of 95. Unfortunately, since they are panels, it is a bit harder to modify them. And they aren't all that powerful. I could use them for fill or hair light possibly though.

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, the clear recommendation is the Godox SL-60W, a 60W single-LED lamp for around $160 that is the low-budget film light champion, with really great light quality and a very robust build. The only downsides is that it doesn't include battery powering and has a slightly noisy fan.

(Btw., it's "Aputure", not "Aperture" - maybe edit the title of the thread so that people looking for information can better find it.)

12 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Yes, the clear recommendation is the Godox SL-60W, a 60W single-LED lamp for around $160 that is the low-budget film light champion, with really great light quality and a very robust build. The only downsides is that it doesn't include battery powering and has a slightly noisy fan.

(Btw., it's "Aputure", not "Aperture" - maybe edit the title of the thread so that people looking for information can better find it.)

Thanks so much! I appreciate the input and the correct spelling.

Say I have a budget of US $300. Would you still suggest the Godox SL-60W? Or a different light?

I'd buy two Godox SL-60W. There's not much in the price range under $600 except light panels (which I find too limited in their uses vs. single lights, but that depends on what you want to shoot).

(Btw., the spelling is still not correct - it needs to be "Aputure").

1 minute ago, cantsin said:

I'd buy two Godox SL-60W. There's not much in the price range under $600 except light panels (which I find too limited in their uses vs. single lights, but that depends on what you want to shoot).

(Btw., the spelling is still not correct - it needs to be "Aputure").

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, it is too late for me to edit my post... I guess their is a time limit to how long you can edit it, so I can't correct the spelling.

I can give a vote for these:

I have in my set 4x Pixapro 100D MK II and 1x 200D. Those 100D MK II have the + model also which means those can be powered with V-lock battery. There is optional wireless remote sold separately which I recommend. With one remote I can control all of my units. These have fans but those are really quiet, never had any audio problems even in interview shoots.

I can second the recommendation from @Teemu for the Pixapro 100D mkii. Fantastic light, I've really enjoyed mine. The Godox is a great budget option, but considering that you're after a key light, if you compare the brightness at 1 meter, the Pixapro is more than twice as powerful, putting out 11,000 lux with the included reflector, compared to just 4,100 from the Godox (and 4,600 from the more expensive Aputure 120D) and adding a fresnel attachment can take that brightness up even higher to around 16,000 lux, which is a pretty serious amount of light. 

4 hours ago, Teemu said:

I have in my set 4x Pixapro 100D MK II and 1x 200D. Those 100D MK II have the + model also which means those can be powered with V-lock battery. There is optional wireless remote sold separately which I recommend. With one remote I can control all of my units. These have fans but those are really quiet, never had any audio problems even in interview shoots.

Thanks for the recommendation and the link to the Ugly McGregor's review. Appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Parker said:

I can second the recommendation from @Teemu for the Pixapro 100D mkii. Fantastic light, I've really enjoyed mine. The Godox is a great budget option, but considering that you're after a key light, if you compare the brightness at 1 meter, the Pixapro is more than twice as powerful, putting out 11,000 lux with the included reflector, compared to just 4,100 from the Godox (and 4,600 from the more expensive Aputure 120D) and adding a fresnel attachment can take that brightness up even higher to around 16,000 lux, which is a pretty serious amount of light. 

Good to know, and thanks for spelling out the brightness comparisons. It seems so much harder to find brightness comparisons for LED / Constant lights than when compared to strobes.

Godox sl-200w if you mod the fans. About $400 all in.  No battery power though, but 200w and Bowens mount.  I have a post on this on dvxuser lighting section with the specific fans used.  Without fan mod its a bit loud for interviews for my taste, although you can filter it out using audition.  After fan mod it's acceptable.

I'm using aputure 300dainly but the godox is 1/3 the price and 80% of the light...

Bare @ 1m I measured about 6000lux.  With included reflector was about 18,000 lux. Soft box of course much lower, with shower curtain frost can get almost 4k lux, 

Very similar if not the same light as the pics pros but includes the remote.

Darn... It looks like the PixaPros are available in the UK but not here in the States???

5 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Godox sl-200w if you mod the fans. About $400 all in.  No battery power though, but 200w and Bowens mount.  I have a post on this on dvxuser lighting section with the specific fans used.  Without fan mod its a bit loud for interviews for my tatse, although you can filter it out using audition.  After fan mod it's acceptable.

I'm using aputure 300dainly but the godox is 1/3 the price and 80% of the light...

Very similar if not the same light as the pics pros but includes the remote.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a link to the mod?

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?353611-Mini-review-Godox-SL-60W-and-SL-200W-(kind-of-compared-to-Nanguang-CN-30F)

Has specific fans I used.

If you don't need the firepower but only need soft light, 2x FL-3060 gets you about 3,000lux @ 1M when using diffuser panels and are about $300, but much lighter and smaller.  Only draws 100W.  Benefit is it's also bicolor and can be battery powered with additional adapters ($50) or DIY.

6 hours ago, Teemu said:

3 hours ago, Parker said:

Where did you guys buy your Pixapro 100D from? As a search on Aliexpress, eBay, and B&H turned up nothing. Seems like they can only be found in the UK?! Which surely is not the case, they must exist elsewhere too, but under a different brand perhaps?

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

Godox sl-200w if you mod the fans. About $400 all in.  No battery power though, but 200w and Bowens mount.  I have a post on this on dvxuser lighting section with the specific fans used.  Without fan mod its a bit loud for interviews for my taste, although you can filter it out using audition.  After fan mod it's acceptable.

Are the lower power output ones quieter? Such as the 150W / 100W / 60W ones? 

I was surprised just how cheap the 150W is, only US$248 with free shipping for the Godox SL-150W:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Godox-SL-150W-150W-5600K-Studio-LED-Continuous-Photo-Video-Light-Lamp-w-Remote/152746611175?hash=item23906851e7:g:Il4AAOSwU4FZ5XMc

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

I guess the big downside vs Aputure 300D is you can't power the Godox via battery power for even a moment. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Where did you guys buy your Pixapro 100D from? As a search on Aliexpress, eBay, and B&H turned up nothing. Seems like they can only be found in the UK?! Which surely is not the case, they must exist elsewhere too, but under a different brand perhaps?

I have bought all my lamps in good condition used via eBay. Yeah, I was looking them around for quite a long time. Some parts I have directly ordered from Pixapro. I am not sure if they deliver worldwide or not. But understand that shipping might get quite high.

I believe these are lights that many doesn’t even know that exist. Really good lights. Only thing I wish is that these had a bit harder light. But for that I have used cheap chinese bowens fresnel adapters, those help.

I have experience on using these in really cold weather in Finnish winter outside like -15 degree. They have had no problems. Also one time assistant made one of these fall from 2,5m height down to ground. I was sure it will be a dead unit. But no, still works and I still use it!

23 minutes ago, Teemu said:

I believe these are lights that many doesn’t even know that exist.

I've known about them for years, as Nitsan made a whole bunch of videos about them:

But every time I tried to look for it, they seemed to only be in the UK :-(

Very strange I thought!

27 minutes ago, Teemu said:

Also one time assistant made one of these fall from 2,5m height down to ground. I was sure it will be a dead unit. But no, still works and I still use it!

Wow!

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Dont forget the pixapro 200d which is about the same output as a aputure 300D. Without the V-lock option. 

Yeah, I mentioned it earlier. I own one of them. Not quite sure the power VS Aputure 300D, would like to see them side by side.

17 hours ago, Teemu said:

Looks great, but where do you lot buy these things? I'm based in Germany and all I can find is an Amazon link with them listed at 1300€.

Just now, Gregormannschaft said:

Looks great, but where do you lot buy these things? I'm based in Germany and all I can find is an Amazon link with them listed at 1300€.

If you are in Germany you can order from here:

https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/

OR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PIXAPRO®-Continuous-Interview-Marketing-Registered/dp/B017M0CD14/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517492062&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=pixapro%2B100d%2Bmkii&th=1

I actually found them on amazon.de site also. So there is many options. I think those will be anyway sent from UK.

48 minutes ago, Teemu said:

Yeah, I mentioned it earlier. I own one of them. Not quite sure the power VS Aputure 300D, would like to see them side by side.

I have seen a picture on a facebook group of somebody who used them side by side. And it seems identical. Maybe 2% less bright. Allthough I am wondering if I am going to miss the v-lock option.