GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

Ditto. Another really substantive pearl coming from your posting, mate. This forum would become another thing without your insights, man : )

Filmmaking is actually not based on camera looks but mind stuff to really offer (E :-)

5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think our whole life is maybe never really reality. More I think this is happening than maybe it is thing. Hard to really prove anything is really true to the enith degree.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Don... man, you are one of my favs over here, you know that : ) Nothing against XH-1, only praising the gift.

In my case, a7III has the Sony color tones not of my pleasing. As said so many times here anyway, we can mimic any look nowadays, so not big deal there as well : )

Certain features are much more important than SOOC, I believe we should all know (and beware) of that : ))

So for the record, GH5S is in an upper-level, of course. Apples to oranges IMNSHO (E :-)

When talking about missed opportunities - such as the lack of a full HDMI port, zebras, a larger battery or headphone jack - those criticisms need little further explanation. The reader is free to judge for themselves whether those remarks are legitimate or not. But when it comes to color science, we’re really entering the realm of subjectivity. It would help your case immeasurably if you could find some side-by-side comparisons done by someone with some shooting and grading skills like Filippo Chiesa. I can repeat over and over that Chicken Treat has the best cornbread or mashed potatoes in the world, but if nobody can taste them and compare, it doesn’t mean much. 

29 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Panasonic just dropped a few clips:

I know this is dangerous territory, but it seems like Panasonic's videos lack some production value compared to Sony's. Saying this being a spoiled American, completely understanding that in other parts of the world, creating something with minimal gear is a challenge all it's own; but it seems like the results are just a hodge podge of stuff thrown against the wall, with a hasty edit (that first video was horrid) on top of a music bed. 

It's very clear the Panasonic is a technology company and Sony is a media juggernaut. There is no wow factor for a camera that is such a magnificent tool to elevate it to its proper status. 

They should just pay Filippo Chiesa and Romspod? money to slap the Panasonic logo at the end off their fantastic works of art and they'd be much better off.

21 minutes ago, TwoScoops said:

^ yeah. Besides teh focal length, going from the feel, those Gh5s vids could honestly just as easily be really good cellphone video. :confused:

Please tell which “really good” cellphone can perform that well in low-light? I have both the iPhone X and Note 8 and neither can get close to this clean in low-light.

Black levels are also much better than cellphone produce. 

I’m not defending the videos... I think they are pretty weak. I’m just keeping it real.

26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

sad but true

The videos might be sad examples, but no cellphone I have seen to date could capture this good a quality under the lowlight conditions shown. Also, cellphones generally butcher grass, asphalt and the like with their heavily compressed codecs.

But if cellphones are good enough for your needs you can save bunches of cash, so you will have the last laugh. 

Honestly, the camera is nowhere near as important as the story. I’ve watched entertaining movies made with a GH2.

31 minutes ago, TwoScoops said:

I was talking about the first video as far as cellphone, not the low light. Maybe I'm wrong but that video doesn't make me want to spend 2k+ on it. :grin:

I know right! Good thing I spent my $2500, before watching these videos or I might have had second thoughts! /s

31 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah that “safari” video does nothing good for the GH5s. In comparison, it looks like the Nikon D850 “safari” video was shot on an Alexa.

Well in the wrong hands an Alexa will look like crap also. 

I won’t defend these videos... they are pretty poor examples of what is possible with this camera. More like a “what not to do”.

45 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Well in the wrong hands an Alexa will look like crap also. 

I won’t defend these videos... they are pretty poor examples of what is possible with this camera. More like a “what not to do”.

Yeah I am pretty sure I could make Alexa footage look like pixelvision, so you’re right. But I’ve always subscribed to the notion, show me the worst footage from a camera and that’s what one should expect from it. It’s one of the reasons I decided against the GH5.

Obviously in competent hands, the GH5 and almost any camera available is capable of great imagery. But the operator should know what they’re capable of and those limitations should be considered when purchasing a $2500 camera, or a $500 camera. 

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

When talking about missed opportunities - such as the lack of a full HDMI port, zebras, a larger battery or headphone jack - those criticisms need little further explanation. The reader is free to judge for themselves whether those remarks are legitimate or not. But when it comes to color science, we’re really entering the realm of subjectivity. It would help your case immeasurably if you could find some side-by-side comparisons done by someone with some shooting and grading skills like Filippo Chiesa. I can repeat over and over that Chicken Treat has the best cornbread or mashed potatoes in the world, but if nobody can taste them and compare, it doesn’t mean much. 

Jon you talk about Filippo Chiesa a lot. I think has grades are all too dark, a bit depressing looking.  I notice you lean that way also. Nothing wrong with that. If you like to grade it that way, you grade it your way.  We all have people we look up to we want to emulate. It ticks our box as they say.  Now if I was doing a slasher movie that mood fits, dark and foreboding. I like lighter looking colors. Natural looking stuff, stuff like my eyes would see it if I was there, not some veil over my eyes.

But that is not what true movies in reality really represent. They represent what the Director Thinks I ought to see. To put me in his, her mood, not mine. And maybe you are right to do what you do, to sort of be like Filippo Chiesa.

I am not a big movie fan. I can't stand to sit, that doesn't sound right LoL, to sit for 2-3 hours and watch anything. I have no F ing patience at all. None.I like documentary films more than movies, I like nature shows, history, love that stuff. But I want to see it like it is, not how color wise someone wants me to see it. Honest color, the real deal. But I have seen lots of movies in my life, I just never really want to see them again. I have a good memory I guess , I know what is going to happen LoL. I like the film look, I grew up with it. but now we have digital, and all these newer camera models have gotten a Lot better colors wise. Panny, Sony have made the biggest leaps. Canon, Nikon the same yet, and that is a good thing. They have had it right from the start.

But I  think we do need to compare camera colors on here to pick what camera output we like the best, why we like it and why we don't. And how we can make it look like other cameras, like Sage is doing. Looks like the new Fuji X-H1 appeals to a heck of a lot more people on here than I would have ever guessed. And that is fine, it's their money they are spending not mine. And I an sure it will never end because every company has Their signature Color Science. And that is the company we will buy into probably for the rest of our time unless some new company comes out with  better Science we like. So I will stick with my old ugly A7s colors, I love it, and we can all be happy as pigs in shit about what we bought!  :grin:

17 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@webrunner5 When I was still studying photography, one of our assignments was to go out and shoot some high key pictures. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

Yeah I can't stand that stuff either. Everybody and everything looks dead LoL. Now Low Key is not so bad. Well not as bad.

11 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

If you actually believe there is something such as 'REAL' color, you clearly don't understand how our brains work.

We have No clue how our brains actually work. Maybe yours woks better than mine, maybe the opposite. Maybe Everything we experience in life is perceived as you like to say. But I live in reality, what I see is what I see, sure there is some computer science going on in my brain to make it work, but it outputs what I see, and I See color, true colors calculated from my 71 years of experience of perceiving it. Ergo I leaned how to see true colors.

We (neuroscientists) have a very good idea of how brains work. Unfortunately knowledge doesn't spread as fast as we would like. 

Now while there are unique wavelengths that determine the colors we see, our percesception is built on years of experiencing visual inputs and it is always relative.

But that doesn't mean that there are no general aesthetic rules for good color. So while we all can't perceive the same red, there are things that we generally agree look good. Skin for example is expected to have a specific tonality. If it is in the perceptual spectrum of an orange then it doesn't matter what exact perceptual hue it has, it just looks bad. 

While we are here, we can see/learn these generally accepted aesthetic judgements of color. We also strive to make each camera produce them, and that is one of the advantages in participating in a forum like this one. 

Well I am sure the vast majority of people see color close to the same other than colorblind people. I mean Canon is hands down the best selling camera Because of their colors. And it appears that they got it right for the most people to "perceive" it as they process it in their brains as truth..